Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How often does your favorite player (Duchene) from your favorite team (Avs) get traded to your hometown and second favorite team (Sens)? I am ecstatic to be able to see him live for the outdoor game against the Habs! Can't wait to buy my Duchene jersey!!
A Duchene jersey might not be a great investment. He's only going to be here a maximum of 2 years.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Duchene has averaged 0.73 points-per-game in his 585-game NHL career; Turris has average 0.59 points-per-game in his 544-game career.

So if no chemistry gives you 0.73 points per game that is still much better than Turris. Now, Imagine if he does find that chemistry lol

Duchene this season + last 2 seasons:
0.66 PPG, 0.00 Playoff PPG
Turris this season + last 2 seasons:
0.64 PPG, 0.48 Playoff PPG

Turris to start this season: 0.81 PPG
Duchene to start this season: 0.77 PPG

So where are we upgrading? Is it offensively? Remember Turris had that long stretch with a bum leg so he has an actual excuse and not "my team sucked so I did". This season Turris has played with some inexperienced and lets say offensively challenged players. He's not been given time with Stone at even strength. Brassard has been getting it and it shows in Brassard's numbers.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

edgeoftheearth

Aug 12, 2016
We need a winger now. Maybe Frans Nielsen from the Wings or if the Sabres are unloading after their slow start we could give Kane a shot

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
If we had to pay Colorado with a 3rd round pick just to save 1 million bucks in Hammond's salary that is total bullshit. That just reeks of small time budget team move.

Our picks are basically for sale. Too bad we don't get any decent picks in a really deep draft year.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Duchene this season + last 2 seasons:
0.66 PPG, 0.00 Playoff PPG
Turris this season + last 2 seasons:
0.64 PPG, 0.48 Playoff PPG

Turris to start this season: 0.81 PPG
Duchene to start this season: 0.77 PPG

So where are we upgrading? Is it offensively? Remember Turris had that long stretch with a bum leg so he has an actual excuse and not "my team sucked so I did".
Colorado's defense last year was awful at getting the puck out of the zone. That is something that affects the forwards' numbers on that team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
understood it was a bad pick?

its weird im like one of the biggest dorion haters. but im one of the few that doesn't think this deal is so bad.

mainly because i think Bowers is dime a dozen future 3rd liner.

So Turris + 1st doesn't sound too bad to get a player who is a dynamic offensive player.
I'm fine with this trade, basically looking at it as Turris + 1st. Obviously Bowers has value, but if I looked at our prospect list with/without him, it wouldn't be any different to me.

I understood making the Bowers pick (I wouldn't have taken him) with the extremely shallow depth in the 2017 draft. Get the "sure thing" (3rd/4th liner) rather that take the risk.

Bowers has been passed by Formenton and Batherson from the 2017 draft alone.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yes I like the player we got and HATE this trade as well.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We need a winger now. Maybe Frans Nielsen from the Wings or if the Sabres are unloading after their slow start we could give Kane a shot

Yeah we should flip our 1st... err.... 2nd... err... 3rd... err... something at the deadline to load up.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
The Sens have two options.

1) Keep Duchene,Stone and EK but also trade Ryan + Phaneuf.

2) Lose Duchene,Stone or EK but keep Ryan and Phaneuf.

We all know which route the Sens are going to take.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sorry my dude but sometimes you have to "overpay" to ensure a deal gets done.

Karlsson, Ceci,Stone,Hoffman and Brassard are all in their mid 20s. Ryan and Phaneuf are over 30 and Anderson is 36.

Our time to win is NOW, and I am glad Dorion took the steps to give us an upgrade on our forward position.

You know what else would have made the team better NOW? Keeping Turris and trading Bowers (a recent 1st), another 1st, and a 3rd.

Not that I would have been a fan of that deal, but trading that many quality young assets could have pushed this team over the top - if the goal was short-term success.

Duchene is an upgrade, no question, but it's probably not the kind of upgrade that vaults us into contender status.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't understand how no other asset is coming back to Ottawa alongside Duchene. We should have gotten at least one of the pieces NSH paid to COL. This is a massive over payment by a GM was was desperate to get his golden child. Duchene is an improvement over Turris, but not at this price.

Correction, this could be seen as overpayment by a gm and a coach that wanted to get their golden child.

Boucher has had his fingerprints in pretty much all of Dorions trades.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
We overpaid to get the best player in the deal while simultaneously keeping our 3 best prospects

That's the crux of it IMO. I highly doubt Turris re-signs here for 6x6 considering the difference in taxes is nearly a million a year. Stockpiling prospects and picks is all well and good but at some point you have to push your chips into the middle of the table and go for it. Especially when you have a guy like Karlsson in his prime who isn't getting any younger.

Yeah value wise we lost but 100% our team is better today and we kept the big 3. That's the important part.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Where was Duchene used on Colorado's PP?

on the left half-wall on the 2nd PP unit. He used to be used closer to the net before that, often behind the net or right by it. His passing ability is better suited to the half-wall but his shot is obviously nowhere near Turris'. He did get better over time playing closer to the net though so that's probably better, he's had knee injuries and has lost some speed so he had to adapt his game a bit to play more up close to the net because he can't really rush the puck and beat guys like he used to.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't understand how no other asset is coming back to Ottawa alongside Duchene. We should have gotten at least one of the pieces NSH paid to COL. This is a massive over payment by a GM was was desperate to get his golden child. Duchene is an improvement over Turris, but not at this price.
or retention ... retention on Duchene could have made more sense as well

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Turris was a great player for us, scored clutch goals for us in the playoffs and contributed in the community.

I don't think Duchene is much better, just a different player. Definitely faster, probably not better defensively but his speed may fit Boucher's system better.

I'm just disappointed to lose 5 assets to get one back. I don't mind giving away the picks and Bowers but you would think we could get a couple of 4th or 5th rounders or some AHL guy that could help in Belleville in return.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lets put it this way ... I would have rather given up Bowers than White or Brown or Chabot or Jaros or even Harpur or probably Formenton or Batherson... even though we picked many of those outside the first round.. I get your point ,.,I just don't like writing off picks or 20 year old players so quickly... things change for players at that age and development isn't always linear. Nick Paul, Gagne and others I would give up before Bowers .. He is not as bad as he is being portrayed.
Well, yeah. Nick Paul and Gagne are likely to be guys that pass though waivers. Bowers is sitting around 10ish on the Sens prospect depth chart at the moment.

I'm not saying he is bad. I'm saying that he shouldn't be looked at as a 1st round value (Even though he was just taken in the 1st round).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad