Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Assuming we resign Stone and Ceci ... I think it gives us 2 years ... We may end up resigning Duchene when we resign Karlsson, but it will be at the expense of something else... 2 years with the core group now including Duchene..
That's probably going to be Brassard. Sens are gambling one of the young guys can step up in two years or we sign Brass to a short contract and trade Duchene for futures in 2019.

Reactions: Vesa Awesaka

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Our best wingers (Stone and Hoffman) May get an opportunity to play with Duchene. But Brassard needed help to get going and got to play with 2 of the top 3 wingers.

I found Turris to be physically weak and avoid hits. I also did not like his play without the puck as he would come back well enough but not get close enough to opponents to take them out physically if the got the puck.

I am looking forward to seeing what Duchene brings but I will miss a Turris. The team still needs another top 6 winger to replace MacArthur.

Bolded is how I've always felt about Turris as well.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I am fine with giving up Hammond and Bowers.

Hammond is an ahl goalie. Bowers is still a prospect.

The 1st will be a hard pill to swallow though if the Sens don't improve.

I am fine with what we gave up but the fact that Turris signed a 6 x 6 contract with Nashville leaves me confused.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I have no problem with this trade if we resigned him and you are right guys with everything we gave up im pretty sure Dorion have no choice to signed Duchene long term.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I am fine with what we gave up but the fact that Turris signed a 6 x 6 contract with Nashville leaves me confused.

maybe turris just wanted out unless Ottawa was going to give him a massive contract.

Lower taxes in Nashville too.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
1st round pick from Ottawa is lottery protected.

Phew.
Pure disaster averted. Im less worried about what we gave up in the trade and more in what we acquired being damaged goods. Turris showed that he worked on our current roster. Duchene isn't a sure thing to even match a 0.6ppg.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
We get the better younger player signed for an extra year. Gives us an extra year to see how Brown and White develop. If we're comfortable with Brown or White in the top 6 next year then we can trade Duchene and get back the picks we lost. If we're not then we try to re-sign Duchene. I don't understand how anyone could be upset about this, especially when we're in Karlsson's prime. Duchene is the better player, if you're debating that you haven't seen enough of Duchene, and this is coming from one of Turris's biggest fans.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Because of taxes, 6x6 in Nashville is not the same thing at all as 6x6 in Canada

Also, apparently PD and Turris had agreed on $$$ but not term. We weren't willing to commit to Turris for 6 years.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

it'll be like Ryan. Dorion can't afford to let his biggest trade acquisition walk, so they'll probably overpay him a bit to keep him.

Mac and Phaneuf off the books in 2 years makes it easier to sign everyone. If they can find a way to get rid off Phaneuf anyway. But the writing is on the wall for him now

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Can't wait to see what Duchene can do with us. We just added an elite talent (Turris wasn't that).

I'm excited to see what Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard and company can do and where this team can go.

For sure there's an overpayment, but hopefully Dutch stays here long term, and I love the speed he adds. So much faster than Turris.

Turris will be missed. He was very good for us since we acquired him, but he never took the step we thought he would to being that #1 guy. I personally thought he did after that 64 point season. The year after that he started off great but then the Gumby injury set him back it seems. Wish him all the best!

I'm also loving the Preds. Definitely my back-up team. Johansen and Turris down the middle is juicy, and their D is obviously amaze-balls. Forsberg is one of my favorite players in the league too.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The Sens have two options.

1) Keep Duchene,Stone and EK but also trade Ryan + Phaneuf.

2) Lose Duchene,Stone or EK but keep Ryan and Phaneuf.

We all know which route the Sens are going to take.

I think we're maybe gonna trade Brassard or let him wall if ever Brown/White/Chlapik is ready to take that role.

We re-sign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene.

Will try to trade Phaneuf but worst case will trade guys like Smith and Burrows/contracts will expire for some guys.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
on the left half-wall on the 2nd PP unit. He used to be used closer to the net before that, often behind the net or right by it. His passing ability is better suited to the half-wall but his shot is obviously nowhere near Turris'. He did get better over time playing closer to the net though so that's probably better, he's had knee injuries and has lost some speed so he had to adapt his game a bit to play more up close to the net because he can't really rush the puck and beat guys like he used to.

I don't think any of his knee issues required surgery.. so I can't see them affecting his speed

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Reported on an American game broadcast apparently. Don't have it in writing.

Top 10 lottery protected apparently. Hopefully someone reports this to confirm soon.

Yeah....crossing my fingers, but I still want to see it officially first.

That definitely makes the trade easier to handle, if that pick is protected.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm happy! This is shocking..

Avs got a hell of a deal. But man do I like this from Ottawa.. Turris as #1C wasn't getting us anywhere, Duchene has that game breaking offensive ability that could take us from a middle of the pack team to a great team.

Having Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, Ryan and Brassard as an offensive core is exciting

No one is going to take on those two.

Were a budget team and we have two of the worst contracts in the league.

(prove me wrong Ryan)

Unlike.

Ryan might be a bit overpaid but he has produced at a 57 pts pace in each of his first 3 years (mid first line production). He had a rough year last season with injuries and off-ice issues but he redeemed himself with monster playoffs. He is still young enough to play at a high level like he shown recently and will only have 4 years left after this season. His contract is not problematic at all, give or take 1 million

Phaneuf should be paid 5.5 but Sens made out like bandits in the deal with shoving 14,3 Millions of dollars so in the end the REAL cost of Phaneuf to the Sens will be about 4 Millions per season...

If the Sens were a cap team, those deals would be problematic but that's not the case. Again this year Sens are comfortably under the cap and that's without using Mac's 4.65 Millions on LTIR

People fear Karlsson and others extensions but a lot of money will be off the books in the next few years and the cap will still rise... And there is always the Mac's salary that we could LTIR

PD always scares me a little but the salary cap structure has been well planned (thank you Mr.Murray). No issues here

Last edited:

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
it'll be like Ryan. Dorion can't afford to let his biggest trade acquisition walk, so they'll probably overpay him a bit to keep him.

Mac and Phaneuf off the books in 2 years makes it easier to sign everyone. If they can find a way to get rid off Phaneuf anyway. But the writing is on the wall for him now

Phaneuf has 3 years left after this one.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Yeah....crossing my fingers, but I still want to see it officially first.

That definitely makes the trade easier to handle, if that pick is protected.

Yeah I'm skeptical too. Need to see it in writing.

You'd imagine someone like Dreger would have tweeted it out if it were lottery protected..

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
John Shannon tweeted that Duchene wanted to come to Ottawa this whole time. He grew up in and still calls Haliburton home, 3 hours away. If he meshes well, I don't see why we can't resign him.

I was a huge Turris fan, but it seems like there wasn't going to be much give from his side in negotiations. Wish him well in Nashville, but even though their stats are similar, Duchene is definitely more of a game breaker.

Was it an overpayment? Maybe. But we got a real good, fast center. Speed thrives in this system, and we now have more of it.

I'm for sure more excited about this team than I was yesterday, and as a fan, that's all I care about. There used to be a time when we never took risks. Now we do. I like it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We dealt our first round pick... We lost to an expansion team yesterday, got blown away by one of the worst teams in the NHL earlier in the week and have won 6 of our 14 games... and we dealt our first round pick in a draft with a generational talent at the top. I can't believe this is reality.

Reactions: Icelevel and Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad