Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We overpaid to get the best player in the deal while simultaneously keeping our 3 best prospects

That's the crux of it IMO. I highly doubt Turris re-signs here for 6x6 considering the difference in taxes is nearly a million a year. Stockpiling prospects and picks is all well and good but at some point you have to push your chips into the middle of the table and go for it. Especially when you have a guy like Karlsson in his prime who isn't getting any younger.

Yeah value wise we lost but 100% our team is better today and we kept the big 3. That's the important part.

Kind of how I feel about it.,.. I am not mad at the overpayment .. I do think we get a little better short term

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
My lord. It really is a horrible overpayment. Dorion I do not high five you.

i don't agree. they are all magic beans and the Sens got an established star player who's had a 30 and 27 goal seasons as well as point totals for the season of 70, 67, 59 and 55 twice. the Sens win this trade because they got the best player and as another poster said, the Sens didn't give up Brown, Chabot or White (or Chlapik), and these kinds of trades and the Burrows for Dahlin trade are the ones you sometimes have to make if you want to take a SERIOUS run at a cup !

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Hows our cap situation looking moving forward?

Can we realistically sign all of Karlsson, Stone and Duchene?

We have the cap flexibility to sign anybody in our org that we want (who wants to stay) but like with every team, it will come at the expense of other players. So for example, maybe we sign Ceci to a two year deal instead of a long term one if we want to keep Duchene, and then trade Ceci in 2019-2020, or walk away from him in the 2020 off season.

I don't think Turris was the player who they wanted to marry long term in that way. We also don't know if 6x6 was plausible in Ottawa. Turris may have wanted more money or term due to taxes, weather, geographical area, or for any myriad of reasons.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm still not seeing how Duchene is a definite upgrade. I hope he proves me wrong and has a great season but all indications are he's not some big upgrade on Turris. A borderline #1 for a borderline #1. He's not going to be playing with our best wingers just like Turris was not playing with our best wingers.

Reactions: TaroTsujimoto

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
First reaction - Great, we have got Matt Duchene, damn, we gave up what for one player???

However, whenever I find we gave up too high of a pick/prospect in a trade, I always use ironically the last Turris trade as a reminder that how much we overvalue these assets. I was furious we gave up Rundblad at the time, I recall vividly, like how could we give up the bets defenseman from the SEL the previous yet for a disgruntled young centre. Well, we knew how that worked out for us. Hope this is another deal like that, because we got the best player in the deal, and he is younger and probably faster.

Also, another thing, Duchene is left shot, EK hitting him on the tape with a stretch pass will be just so sweet.

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
Turris is the guy that 2 teams want to get rid of....best of luck NSH

Wendy Whiner..........that's why Ottawa couldn't find 6x6 for the guy and that's why PHX got rid of him.
Wendy Whiner..................whine whine whine.

Talk all the stats you want- this is the truth

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This trade is worth it only if we resigned Duchene long term, otherwise its bad trade.
Assuming we resign Stone and Ceci ... I think it gives us 2 years ... We may end up resigning Duchene when we resign Karlsson, but it will be at the expense of something else... 2 years with the core group now including Duchene..

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Such a weird scenario:

1) Player spends 2 years waiting for a requested trade
2) Player gets traded mid-game
3) Player sneaks off the ice behind an injured teammate (!!!)
4) Player will play first 2 games for new team in Sweden
5) Player will play first 2 games for new team against old team

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
on the left half-wall on the 2nd PP unit. He used to be used closer to the net before that, often behind the net or right by it. His passing ability is better suited to the half-wall but his shot is obviously nowhere near Turris'. He did get better over time playing closer to the net though so that's probably better, he's had knee injuries and has lost some speed so he had to adapt his game a bit to play more up close to the net because he can't really rush the puck and beat guys like he used to.

uh oh

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
While I do agree there was an overpayment I am happy with the trade.

-Turris signing with us was looking unlikely, and our biggest need was an upgrade at first line centre.
-Hammond is a cap dump, and gives us more room to make a deal at the trade deadline
-Bowers wasn't anywhere near our best prospect, and was reported to be more of a "low ceiling, high floor" kinda guy, but we already have a fair number of prospects who look close to NHL ready.
-1st I would have liked to been lottery protected, but if we want to compete we should be confident that we will make the playoffs at the very least.
-3rd round picks often don't make the NHL so while they are nice to have it isn't too big a deal to lose one.
-Upgrading at centre should make us more competitive which is good when Anderson is getting older and Stone and Karlsson are still on cheaper contracts
-Duchene having his contract end a year later than Turris allows us to get the most important contracts (Karlsson and Stone) signed first, and than extend our number 1 centre and other contracts around those two
-We didn't lose Chabot, or White which we can be thankful for considering the rumours that were flying around.

Now the biggest question is which Matt Duchene shows up. Hopefully with all the distractions of trade rumours we get to see the return of a 70 point Duchene. And I would be really happy if he could turn Hoffman into a guy that scores 30 or even more.

But I will also miss Turris a lot. And wish him well in Nashville

Animated_gun_turret.gif

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Re: the income tax point. If Turris signed 7x7 in Ottawa, I'm pretty sure his total earnings would still be lower than NSH 6x6 at the end of the deal. From that viewpoint seems pretty safe to say that Turris's camp was stuck on something around that $ value and term. Obviously don't quote me on that as I am not looking to crunch those numbers right now and would not know where to start.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm still not seeing how Duchene is a definite upgrade. I hope he proves me wrong and has a great season but all indications are he's not some big upgrade on Turris. A borderline #1 for a borderline #1. He's not going to be playing with our best wingers just like Turris was not playing with our best wingers.

They are both good players for starters... Duchene is more dynamic and can beat you one on one in limited space.. Turris is the better pure shooter.
I think what Duchene can add we've been missing and his skill set is a welcome addition. ..

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Well, yeah. Nick Paul and Gagne are likely to be guys that pass though waivers. Bowers is sitting around 10ish on the Sens prospect depth chart at the moment.

I'm not saying he is bad. I'm saying that he shouldn't be looked at as a 1st round value (Even though he was just taken in the 1st round).

im almost glad that we drafted bowers instead of tolvanen or someone else with top 6/4 upside.

I would have actually been mad if we gave up Turris + Tolvanen + 2018 1st

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Our best wingers (Stone and Hoffman) May get an opportunity to play with Duchene. But Brassard needed help to get going and got to play with 2 of the top 3 wingers.

I found Turris to be physically weak and avoid hits. I also did not like his play without the puck as he would come back well enough but not get close enough to opponents to take them out physically if the got the puck.

I am looking forward to seeing what Duchene brings but I will miss a Turris. The team still needs another top 6 winger to replace MacArthur.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Have any of you guys watched much of Duchene lately? I mean I haven't, so I don't really know what to expect in terms of his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad