Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So did Cowen have 1st round value when he was traded?

Or how about Lawson Crouse?

A players value isn't static. Just because a guy is chosen in the 1st 6 months ago doesn't mean he's valued (or will be valued) as a 1st at present time.

I mean, I didn't think that would need explaining....
The difference is Cowen proved he didn't. Crouse is debatable

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I still don't see how Duchene is a real #1 center when both he and Kyle have very similar stats. I believe this is a lateral move for which we gave up way too much. Dorion should have been able to retain Turris and keep all of those picks which the team still very much needs. I mean, a 1st? Really Pierre?
Comparing their numbers is dumb. Turris had inflated numbers because of Karlsson and guys like Stone and Hoffman. Duchene had virtually no one to play with in Colorado. One guy was selected to play for the Olympic team Canada and the other guy wasn't considered.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Because in 2 years if Duchene doesn't pan out we can off load him at the trade deadline. If Kyle Turris stops producing in 2 years we are still locked in for a further 4 and that hurts when it comes to re-signing Karlsson

I’d agree with this if we didn’t have a GM who had to include a multitude of picks and prospects to make basic trades like this.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ottawa should not have had to give up a 3rd just to dump Hammond.

Well money is important to Ottawa, unfortunately it's a small market and we have enough proof of this...

Getting rid of Hammond for a 3rd is fine, Sens save over a million in salary

So the real deal is Turris (UFA) + 1st + Bowers

As always, I am not a big fan of PD trades but Duchene is a high end talent, so excited to have him on the team... And no big loss as the prospect pool is deep and very good with Chabot, Brown, White, Batherson, Chlapik, Formenton, Jaros, Harpur, etc

Reactions: Cosmix

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
So do you value Bowers as a 1st round pick?

Who would you rather have on the Sens? Formenton or Bowers? Batherson or Bowers?

Don't try to reframe the argument. You gave some BS about how Bowers wasn't really a first round pick, and I said he was because the Sens took him with a first round pick. Less than six months ago, mind you.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I just hope we can actually extend Duchene though.

It just kicks the can down the road for another year.

If Duchene is a significant upgrade on Turris, he'll cost more to re-sign too. Instead of 6M, think 7M (possibly more) on a 6-8YR deal.

Giving up this much gives Duchene so much leverage too, just like when we dealt the farm for Ryan. Dorion absolutely cannot let him walk, given what we gave up for him, and Duchene will know that. Could end up closer to 7.5-8M given that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The difference is Cowen proved he didn't. Crouse is debatable
Crouse isn't debatable.

Flordia cut ties with him as a throw in, happily, because they realised that even though he was recently a high first round pick, he had the real value of a guy picked in the 3rd.

Where you are picked only matters for so long, and your value changes pretty easily.

What about Dal Colle?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Signing Turris to 6x6 deal would have been a mistake. He is a tweener #1C and we already have Brassard.

This is the type of thing a winning management team does. This is the way the Patriots operate.

I really am partially sad because Turris is a really solid guy, great team guy, he was nothing but awesome but he wasn't Erik Karlsson and he would never have been Jason Spezza.

Duchene trade gives the SENS a stronger opportunity to win now and in the future.

Spot on. Winning teams get the best players. We got the best player in this trade, we got 2.5 years younger, got a better contract and gave up nothing of significance from our roster or prospect pool. IDGAF about asset management. Bickering over small pieces of asset management is how you improve your hockey team in NHL18. It's not how you improve your team in real life.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Don't try to reframe the argument. You gave some BS about how Bowers wasn't really a first round pick, and I said he was because the Sens took him with a first round pick. Less than six months ago, mind you.
Oh, I'm sorry. I had thought you had read between the lines rather than take it literal. Carry on.

I mean, I did very clearly say we selected him in the first...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Also,

Erik Karlsson and Kyle Turris had very little chemistry on the ice. This is not good when your #1C and your #1D don't have that amazing kinda chemistry.

Remember the Chemistry that Spezza and Karlsson had. At times the would dominate together. I think this trade has massive upside for the SENS.

Reading the Avs board a bit over the weekend....apparently Duchene had a lot of chemistry issues for years in Colorado. He isn't an easy guy for gelling with linemates, either. No guarantee he fits any more than Turris did.

As for the rest of the trade, that first round pick could hurt big time. We are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. Montreal is starting to come around, and the Metro has a decent chance to take both wildcard spots.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Comparing their numbers is dumb. Turris had inflated numbers because of Karlsson and guys like Stone and Hoffman. Duchene had virtually no one to play with in Colorado. One guy was selected to play for the Olympic team Canada and the other guy wasn't considered.

Turris and Duchene have had very similar starts this year and Turris has not been playing regularly with Stone and Hoffman. It's been more like a lot of Dzingel and Pyatt.

since92

May 9, 2011
My take....

We got our guy. The best player in the trade.

We gave up a lot on the surface but it didn't cost us White, Brown, or Chabot.

Most importantly we sent a message to Karlsson. We are serious about contending for a cup, this season and next. Hopefully that will factor in his decision to resign.

Dutch may only be a slight upgrade but he's 2 years younger and we got another year for Brown and White to develop.

We upgraded our 1C by giving up Turris, 6th best prospect, a low first, and a third while clearing a bit of cap by shedding the Hamburglar.

Magic beans (lots of them) going the other way but if that translates to resigning Karlsson. This will be huge. Top 6 consisting of Dutch, Stone, Hoff, Brass, and Ryan. That's a lot of weapons for Karlsson to choose from. A nightmare for opposing teams to try and contain.

Turris is nice but paying him 6M AAV until he's 38 while having Phaneuf and Ryan signed forever doesn't get Karlsson to re-up.

If it wasn't clear before it is now. This team is all in. I'm excited. Screw the mediocre attitude, we gunning for the cup.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They traded a 1st. That is the only valuable piece outside of Turris. Bowers was a very bad pick, as was pretty much agreed upon by most here up until today.

So you agree the Bowers pick was not optimal. That pick was Dorion’s. It could have been Tolvanen. Dorion is not establishing a good trading record.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
We've desperately needed another game breaking forward to go with Stone, and now we have one.

It's probably a bit of an overpay, but I'd rather focus on the fact that we've got Matt freaking Duchene.

Reactions: edguy

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Good trade for you guys. Duchene will be that 70P center he's been in the past. Hopefully you make the playoffs and ensure that the mid-late pick you gve up has no shot at finding a talent like that of Duchenes.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nah, don't try to pass the blame because you got caught saying something silly.
Calling Bowers a 1st isn't really accurate.

He was a 1st/2nd round guy taken late first, who has since had a pretty miserable start. Couple empty net points at the start of the year. Looks like he should have been picked later into the 2nd. Has very limited upside.

If anything, it shows how bad of a pick it was by us in the 2017 draft.
If you can't see what I meant, that's on you.

Quite literally said he was chosen in the first by us. If you can't understand I'm saying he doesn't have 1st round value, that's on you.

But yes, in the LITERAL SENSE, he is a 1st. YOU GOT ME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad