Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
How often does your favorite player (Duchene) from your favorite team (Avs) get traded to your hometown and second favorite team (Sens)? I am ecstatic to be able to see him live for the outdoor game against the Habs! Can't wait to buy my Duchene jersey!!

Reactions: NyQuil

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Can't wait to hear Dorion oversell this one. I'm sure half the team has already hugged him for this move. Ottawa overpaid ...

Reactions: Cosmix

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I like Duchene but it feels like we payed a hefty price to acquire him and we're still kinda in the same boat as before regarding our need for a top 6 forward. I consider him an upgrade over Turris but giving the first and Bowers leaves us in a bad spot if we want to get someone else without selling the top prospects.

Best wishes to Turris though. He was great for us on the ice and an even better guy off of it.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Reading the Avs board a bit over the weekend....apparently Duchene had a lot of chemistry issues for years in Colorado. He isn't an easy guy for gelling with linemates, either. No guarantee he fits any more than Turris did.

As for the rest of the trade, that first round pick could hurt big time. We are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. Montreal is starting to come around, and the Metro has a decent chance to take both wildcard spots.

Duchene has averaged 0.73 points-per-game in his 585-game NHL career; Turris has average 0.59 points-per-game in his 544-game career.

So if no chemistry gives you 0.73 points per game that is still much better than Turris. Now, Imagine if he does find that chemistry lol

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I like Duchene but it feels like we payed a hefty price to acquire him and we're still kinda in the same boat as before regarding our need for a top 6 forward. I consider him an upgrade over Turris but giving the first and Bowers leaves us in a bad spot if we want to get someone else without selling the top prospects.

Best wishes to Turris though. He was great for us on the ice and an even better guy off of it.

We didn't need more top-6 forwards, we needed better top-6 forwards. We're plenty deep. We have borderline top-6ers on the 3rd line like Pageau.

RICKY SPANISH

Aug 16, 2016
Reading the Avs board a bit over the weekend....apparently Duchene had a lot of chemistry issues for years in Colorado. He isn't an easy guy for gelling with linemates, either. No guarantee he fits any more than Turris did.

As for the rest of the trade, that first round pick could hurt big time. We are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. Montreal is starting to come around, and the Metro has a decent chance to take both wildcard spots.

Do you guys think Karlsson cares if we keep picks? The rest of the team?

Look at the way we draft. Picks are meaningless. Development is key

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My take....

We got our guy. The best player in the trade.

We gave up a lot on the surface but it didn't cost us White, Brown, or Chabot.

Most importantly we sent a message to Karlsson. We are serious about contending for a cup, this season and next. Hopefully that will factor in his decision to resign.

Dutch may only be a slight upgrade but he's 2 years younger and we got another year for Brown and White to develop.

We upgraded our 1C by giving up Turris, 6th best prospect, a low first, and a third while clearing a bit of cap by shedding the Hamburglar.

Magic beans (lots of them) going the other way but if that translates to resigning Karlsson. This will be huge. Top 6 consisting of Dutch, Stone, Hoff, Brass, and Ryan. That's a lot of weapons for Karlsson to choose from. A nightmare for opposing teams to try and contain.

Turris is nice but paying him 6M AAV until he's 38 while having Phaneuf and Ryan signed forever doesn't get Karlsson to re-up.

If it wasn't clear before it is now. This team is all in. I'm excited. Screw the mediocre attitude, we gunning for the cup.

Kyle Turris was born in August 1989, making him 28 now. A 6 year contract would make him 35 not 38 at the end of it. What is your definition of forever? Phaneuf and Ryan are overpaid and at least one will have to go, preferably Phaneuf.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
Well money is important to Ottawa, unfortunately it's a small market and we have enough proof of this...

Getting rid of Hammond for a 3rd is fine, Sens save over a million in salary

So the real deal is Turris (UFA) + 1st + Bowers

As always, I am not a big fan of PD trades but Duchene is a high end talent, so excited to have him on the team... And no big loss as the prospect pool is deep and very good with Chabot, Brown, White, Batherson, Chlapik, Formenton, Jaros, Harpur, etc

Why is getting rid of Hammond for a third fine? He was coming off the books next year. We have already paid a chunk of that salary this year too. The savings is like 1 million and change? How is this different for paying a 2nd round pick for Brassards 2 million bonus?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Really excited to get Duchene. I think he's clearly a step above Turris and could get back to 60-70P with us.

But this was an overpayment no question. Just bleeding young assets ever since Dorion took over.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
You just can't give Turris 6 years. He doesn't have the build for it.

I have never had anything bad to say about the guy because he had a defined role and we got him for a song. He always played well and was clutch in the playoffs.

But we all know he is not a 1C and we all know he can't battle to the puck.

He wins races but can't make spaces.

Dorion will explain exactly why he didn't want Turris here on those terms tomorrow on TSN1200, he doesn't bullshit. I am certain he will talk about how we have seen the best Turris has to offer and he doesn't have a phyaical level to his game.

People will say this is Melnyk not wanting to pay, but it's not. It's about the profile of player they want to anchor this team up front.

Colorado makes out huge in this deal, but Ottawa is better today than they were yesterday and they didn't give up any blue chip prospects to do it.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Really excited to get Duchene. I think he's clearly a step above Turris and could get back to 60-70P with us.

But this was an overpayment no question. Just bleeding young assets ever since Dorion took over.

We just acquired a YOUNG ASSET, the BEST one of the trade without getting rid of Chabot or White or even Brown or any of our awesome prospects...

We did good Babe. That will do.

Reactions: RICKY SPANISH

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Do you guys think Karlsson cares if we keep picks? The rest of the team?

Look at the way we draft. Picks are meaningless. Development is key you monkeys

Well, if the worst case scenario happens regarding that first rounder, everyone will definitely care. :laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Goaltending continues to be an issue for me, I'm not convinced Anderson or Condon can take this team to a cup win. Duchene needs to score more than Anderson let's in. haha

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I "understood" the pick, but yes. I was upset at the time.

understood it was a bad pick?

its weird im like one of the biggest dorion haters. but im one of the few that doesn't think this deal is so bad.

mainly because i think Bowers is dime a dozen future 3rd liner.

So Turris + 1st doesn't sound too bad to get a player who is a dynamic offensive player.

Reactions: DrEasy

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Sorry my dude but sometimes you have to "overpay" to ensure a deal gets done.

Karlsson, Ceci,Stone,Hoffman and Brassard are all in their mid 20s. Ryan and Phaneuf are over 30 and Anderson is 36.

Our time to win is NOW, and I am glad Dorion took the steps to give us an upgrade on our forward position.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I "understood" the pick, but yes. I was upset at the time.
Lets put it this way ... I would have rather given up Bowers than White or Brown or Chabot or Jaros or even Harpur or probably Formenton or Batherson... even though we picked many of those outside the first round.. I get your point ,.,I just don't like writing off picks or 20 year old players so quickly... things change for players at that age and development isn't always linear. Nick Paul, Gagne and others I would give up before Bowers .. He is not as bad as he is being portrayed.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't understand how no other asset is coming back to Ottawa alongside Duchene. We should have gotten at least one of the pieces NSH paid to COL. This is a massive over payment by a GM was was desperate to get his golden child. Duchene is an improvement over Turris, but not at this price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad