News: Dubas open to trading top prospects

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Amirov I would consider a 'top' prospect as well.. and I mean Lilj has gotten pushed down but he's been far and away the best Marlies defenseman for two years now, better than Sandin when they are in the AHL (Sandin has looked better in his limited NHL games though). And before people say "if hes so good why isn't he in the NHL, it's not like the Leafs have good D". The Leafs do have good D. The only spot he could reasonable take from someone is Bogosian's, but Bogo brings something to the defense and PK that Lilj and most of the rest of the Leafs D doesn't so it's not really an open spot.

LOL &

How does he fit into the Leafs cap situation at all? I swear man some people on this site need to do 2 minutes of research before posting. Let's add a 5.7m forward that would be the 5-6th best on the team when we have Hyman expiring, an expansion upcoming, etc.
You would be surprised at how many posters on here don’t even know there is a salary cap or an expansion draft coming. It’s brutal.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
What team isnt two injuries away from using the 7th/8th dman and a call up?

While that's a good point, not many teams are 1-2 injuries away of playing a Marincin quality D-men. It puzzles me why he still has an NHL contract.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
While that's a good point, not many teams are 1-2 injuries away of playing a Marincin quality D-men. It puzzles me why he still has an NHL contract.
Nobody likes Marincin but he serves the purpose of a vet D. Every team has "that guy" as far as I see it. You know, that guy who sits in the press box and collects his pay cheque. He's realistically the 9th or 10th best option but it's best to let the kids keep developing in the AHL vs only calling them up for a few and potentially burning a year off their ELC.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Nobody likes Marincin but he serves the purpose of a vet D. Every team has "that guy" as far as I see it. You know, that guy who sits in the press box and collects his pay cheque. He's realistically the 9th or 10th best option but it's best to let the kids keep developing in the AHL vs only calling them up for a few and potentially burning a year off their ELC.

My point is that there are many better options than Marincin as the #8,9,10 guy. The only thing Marincin brings to NHL is the fact that he is big, but he is as soft as butter, and cannot defend.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Our top prospects are going to be very valuable to us providing 3 years of cheap quality play. Is getting a good rental for one year worth trading away 3 solid years of Amirov or Robertson for dirt cheap? I dontt think so...Id move our 1st and maybe lilly if the package was right but thats it.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
My point is that there are many better options than Marincin as the #8,9,10 guy. The only thing Marincin brings to NHL is the fact that he is big, but he is as soft as butter, and cannot defend.

I feel if you are nitpicking the 9th dman in the system, they are not thin on D.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Unless they're still of junior age (i.e. turning 20 after Dec 31st), aren't they "burning" a year of their ELC in the AHL as well as the NHL ?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017

Marcincin is a better 9th dman than most other teams 9th dmen. He can play 8-10 mins a night and PK. You're drastically underrating him. He's not a day to day NHLer but he can fill in for a few games here and there.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Unless they're still of junior age (i.e. turning 20 after Dec 31st), aren't they "burning" a year of their ELC in the AHL as well as the NHL ?
Last I checked they weren't burning time, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's less negotiating power.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Theoretically what's the least you'd add to Miller to get Sandin? Picks or prospects only, neglecting any cap complications.

Edit: typo I meant added to Sandin lol

I wouldnt add anything, it would be the leafs adding

My bad that was a typo. What I meant to say was what's the least added to Sandin that'd you'd accept for Miller. What would be the lowest offer with Sandin involved for Miller that you'd accept? (Like anything less and it's a no)

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
You would be surprised at how many posters on here don’t even know there is a salary cap or an expansion draft coming. It’s brutal.
Flat cap for likely the next 3+ years you'd think having Nic Robertson for 3 years on an ELC after this years holds some premium value, just from a cap perspective.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Flat cap for likely the next 3+ years you'd think having Nic Robertson for 3 years on an ELC after this years holds some premium value, just from a cap perspective.
Exactly. ELC players are gonna hold huge value for the next 3+ years. Even more than normal.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
What team isnt two injuries away from using the 7th/8th dman and a call up?
Every team but there's a difference when your depth is just better or worse than another team's. Just look at Tampa, NYI, Philadelphia, Vegas, Columbus, Colorado, Calgary, Carolina, St. Louis & Boston's depth depth d and top 6 last playoffs.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Absolutely. MM collects his check, stays ready for a worst case scenario all the while saving the team from burning ELC years by yo yoing prospects back and forth. Better him there then lilly thats for damn sure.

Eastcoaster84

Feb 11, 2018
NS
I know this is the easiest path leafs will have in the playoffs, and with this roster our best shot in years, but I just can’t wrap my head around adding a high impact forward with Campbell injuries keeping him to 4 games all year, and Andersen having his worst season in memory, sure either could catch fire and steal the show but I do not have that kind of faith with this being out best chance to break the streak
If we are dealing heavily in futures beg cbj

Andersen 1m retained + 2021 1st+ Robertson
For Korpisalo

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know this is the easiest path leafs will have in the playoffs, and with this roster our best shot in years, but I just can’t wrap my head around adding a high impact forward with Campbell injuries keeping him to 4 games all year, and Andersen having his worst season in memory, sure either could catch fire and steal the show but I do not have that kind of faith with this being out best chance to break the streak
If we are dealing heavily in futures beg cbj

Andersen 1m retained + 2021 1st+ Robertson
For Korpisalo
Oof. No thank you.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Eastcoaster84

Feb 11, 2018
NS
Oof. No thank you.
So your thought is they do not need to address the position? Think there is a better cheaper option?
That deal is an upgrade with another year after this at half the cap hit, but cbj isn’t giving the starter away....

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad