Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My "dream" Rantanen trade would be to Columbus for a disgruntled Jiricek + CBJ 1st(assuming ~5th overall) for Mikko + COL 1st.

Jiricek starts as 3RD for us next year and eventually moves up to 2RD behind Cale.

Them you can re-sign Drouin, Trenin, and Duhaime quite frankly and start next season with:

Drouin - Mack - Lehky
Landy - Mitts - Nuke
Wood - Colton - Kovalenko
LOC - Trenin - Duhaime
Wagner

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens(?) - Jiricek
Jones/Malinski

George/Annunen

Perfectly balanced Top 4 Defense. Solve one of the holes left in our lineup long term, draft the best forward available at #5(Demidov, Lindstrom, or Eiserman). Maybe they look at trading Girard and signing Walker but I doubt it.

From my very rough calculations and salary estimates from the UFA/RFA signings, that group would come in at about $86M with a full 23 man roster. Which would mean starting with about $1.5-1.75M in cap space to bank towards the deadline IF they wanted to target a top forwards rental to replace Mikko's lost offense.

That's a lineup that would still be a cup contender next year IMO. But, with young high end pieces like Jiricek, Demidov(Or whoever), Gulyayev, Ritchie... all still in the system, we'd have the next wave of elite talent to potentially extend the window much further into the future.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
CBJ would never trade for Rants unless they know they can re-up him and I don't see Mikko committing to Columbus for his big UFA contract.

If we want a top 5ish pick for Rants our only realistic shot is Utah.

Seattle at #8 is...interesting.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs won't move Rantanen. They are an org that pays up for stars, wise or not.

They structured the Manson contract specifically knowing they may need to move him this Summer. What else they do, who knows, but my guess is Manson is traded unfortunately.

I would LOVE for them to move him for a couple of 1sts and NHL ready ELC players so we can bring everyone back. It isn't likely, though.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs won't move Rantanen. They are an org that pays up for stars, wise or not.

They structured the Manson contract specifically knowing they may need to move him this Summer. What else they do, who knows, but my guess is Manson is traded unfortunately.

I would LOVE for them to move him for a couple of 1sts and NHL ready ELC players so we can bring everyone back. It isn't likely, though.
They can't only move Manson.

They need to make 10M cap space just for Landy and Mitts.

If you move both Girard and Manson and replace them with, say, Behren and Kovacevic (cheapest NHL caliber RD) you only make like 8M of cap space. That's not even enough.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They can't only move Manson.

They need to make 10M cap space just for Landy and Mitts.

If you move both Girard and Manson and replace them with, say, Behren and Kovacevic (cheapest NHL caliber RD) you only make like 8M of cap space. That's not even enough.
That's not true. I'm using Chatfield here as an example of the amount of money that could be spent, not a guy that would actually sign for this much money but this is with Josh Manson traded solely for draft picks:

1714248948416.png

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's not true. I'm using Chatfield here as an example of the amount of money that could be spent, not a guy that would actually sign for this much money but this is with Josh Manson traded solely for draft picks:

View attachment 860634
That'd be hell to manage this team. Need 1 more player and cap room for call ups.

If it comes down to Manson or Girard I'm keeping Manson.

Also no to Cogs, he's washed. You can add Ritchie.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think the issue people are not realizing here is that somebody has to go. Not that anybody wants to lose Lehkonen. It would be great if the Salary cap just stopped existing and we could keep everybody.

But that isn't happening, and the math simply does not work to keep everyone. Somebody making $4M+ will have to go this summer.

The Avs have just spent the better part of 2 years trying to rebuild the Center depth, and finally have the 1-3 Centers all lined up extremely well. It would be highly unlikely to see them turn around and destroy that.

And on the Defense, they already moved one guy from that group to make room for the Center improvements. Again, seems highly unlikely they'd remove yet another guy from that group this summer.

That leaves the Wingers. And its essentially 3 guys since they obviously aren't moving Landy either. Quite frankly I bet most(Not all, but most) would probably prefer to move Rantanen, and his name absolutely should be a part of the conversation. But it realistically isn't.

So it basically leaves Nuke and Lehky.
Nah, just move colton. I don't care about 3C now that we have a legit 2C. Trenin for 2M at 3C is probably better value than Colton.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not a fan of trading Rants but if it’s gotta happen then geez - at least ship him off to the East
There aren't many realistic landing spots for him.

You need:

- a team with the cap space (we don't want any money back)
- a team with the assets to trade for him (high picks and blue chip prospects)
- a team with the will to trade those assets for him (ready to sacrifice the future for the present)
- more importantly, somewhere where Mikko will agree to re-up before the trade (not easy)

So yeah, very few places.

Seattle makes the most sense IMO.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
You make the best trade possible.

I'd trade Mikko to the Dallas Stars if it meant getting the most in return.
Before these playoffs I would’ve happily sent Mikko to Dallas for a package centred on Stankoven + futures but clearly that’s off the table at this point. 2 years of ELC Stankoven on Mack or Mitts wing would’ve been crazy excess value

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There aren't many realistic landing spots for him.

You need:

- a team with the cap space (we don't want any money back)
- a team with the assets to trade for him (high picks and blue chip prospects)
- a team with the will to trade those assets for him (ready to sacrifice the future for the present)
- more importantly, somewhere where Mikko will agree to re-up before the trade (not easy)

So yeah, very few places.

Seattle makes the most sense IMO.
Utah would make sense as well if they want to bring in a star player to attract new fans. They also have lots of picks and I doubt Smyth wants to starts his new reign mainly drafting players that will help 3-4 years down the road. He will want success right away to attract fans.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Utah would make sense as well if they want to bring in a star player to attract new fans. They also have lots of picks and I doubt Smyth wants to starts his new reign mainly drafting players that will help 3-4 years down the road. He will want success right away to attract fans.
Yea Utah too but convincing Mikko to re-up there might be difficult as he doesn't know what to expect since they don't have a history.

Don't forget that the trade needs to happen this summer, it's very quick.

With Seattle Mikko already has friends over there like Gru and Bura who could help selling the move to him.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Yea Utah too but convincing Mikko to re-up there might be difficult as he doesn't know what to expect since they don't have a history.

Don't forget that the trade needs to happen this summer, it's very quick.

With Seattle Mikko already has friends over there like Gru and Bura who could help selling the move to him.
He can hang out with his Finnish brother on the Jazz

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
If mittelstadt crushes it this playoffs he’s asking for AT LEAST 7

I’d say probably closer to 8 JMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad