News: Dubas open to trading top prospects

EC

Nov 10, 2016
Sandin doesn't get traded unless it's for a clear win now prime D. To think Dubas and the Leafs are trading away a player that would be Reilly's replacement when he walks as a UFA in another year is silly.

I also believe the Leafs are going to go for extreme character players like N. Foligno but to think they are going to give up top tier assets for him is never going to happen. Dubas has shown he'll move good assets for term prime players like Muzzin.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I hope Dubas is open to looking into upgrading on Andersen. I used to be quite comfortable with Fred but now i hold my breath on every puck directed towards the net. I see goaltending(Andersen in particular) as the biggest question mark on the team and his apparent confidence in it is quite honestly a little hard to believe.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
That's only 2 top prospects they have

Amirov I would consider a 'top' prospect as well.. and I mean Lilj has gotten pushed down but he's been far and away the best Marlies defenseman for two years now, better than Sandin when they are in the AHL (Sandin has looked better in his limited NHL games though). And before people say "if hes so good why isn't he in the NHL, it's not like the Leafs have good D". The Leafs do have good D. The only spot he could reasonable take from someone is Bogosian's, but Bogo brings something to the defense and PK that Lilj and most of the rest of the Leafs D doesn't so it's not really an open spot.

How is that bad for the leafs?

Kerfoot is so bad it'd cost a 2nd to get him out.

I know Mantha hasn't been that good this year, but considering Kerfoot is a cap dump that would require a a 2nd pick to deal, how is Sandin + a late 1st bad for a guy like Mantha who'd compliment Nylander quite well?

LOL &

How does he fit into the Leafs cap situation at all? I swear man some people on this site need to do 2 minutes of research before posting. Let's add a 5.7m forward that would be the 5-6th best on the team when we have Hyman expiring, an expansion upcoming, etc.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The Kerfoot talk is nonsense. Hes not even overpaid. Hes paid fairly for his role (middle six C). The leafs would need to move him if they want to add salary because literally nobody else makes over 3M up front that isn't one of the big four.

There are reasons a rebuilding team wouldn't value him (if they're looking for futures) - but the idea that hes negative value is incredibly shortsighted IMO. I actually don't see them moving Kerfoot unless the player they get back has a history of playing C, because while the Leafs use him at both C/W, losing him means an injury to a C is devastating to them up the middle.

If were talking about a high end guy like Forsberg or Hall - they might be willing to sacrifice the flexibility at C for such a clear upgrade, but anything short of that? Don't think Kerfoot will be going anywhere.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
The Kerfoot talk is nonsense. Hes not even overpaid. Hes paid fairly for his role (middle six C). The leafs would need to move him if they want to add salary because literally nobody else makes over 3M up front that isn't one of the big four.

There are reasons a rebuilding team wouldn't value him (if they're looking for futures) - but the idea that hes negative value is incredibly shortsighted IMO. I actually don't see them moving Kerfoot unless the player they get back has a history of playing C, because while the Leafs use him at both C/W, losing him means an injury to a C is devastating to them up the middle.

If were talking about a high end guy like Forsberg or Hall - they might be willing to sacrifice the flexibility at C for such a clear upgrade, but anything short of that? Don't think Kerfoot will be going anywhere.

He's definitely not overpaid, I actually think he's been playing pretty well this year. Last season he drove me nuts but he seems to be working hard and contributing this season.

I can see him moving simply for the fact that his contract is 3M like others have mentioned.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
probably because he is tied for 20th is the league in points?

Same amount of points as ROR, Stamkos, Point, Connor...more than Tavares, Bergeron, Barzal

But really, he is a top 50 forward and he is not a rental. You don't get that for a cheap price.
There is no way a team is giving up a Zegras tier prospect for Forsberg unless they already are a contender and can afford to trade such a prospect for a Cup run.
A very possible franchise 1C for Forsberg. Its more like you move a Zegras for a guy like PLD.
Even if Zegras doesn't transition to Center long term he's gonna be better than Forsberg.

Zegras/Cozens/Byram are a tier above Robertson.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Thinking it would take a lot more than Sandin for Miller. Miller's a great player with a good cap hit & term and a pretty perfect fit for them. If he were available Leafs should be all over that; Sandin's current place on their depth can be replaced in a separate deal. They have enough D prospects, & a strong left side that they'd be okay for the future there. I'd think he'd have at least as much trade value as Forsberg.

Edit: at least a 1st but nothing crazy
I’m a Canucks fan who would trade Miller for Sandin+. I don’t think Miller has as much value as Forsberg, who is a little better and a little younger.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I’m a Canucks fan who would trade Miller for Sandin+. I don’t think Miller has as much value as Forsberg, who is a little better and a little younger.
Theoretically what's the least you'd add to Miller to get Sandin? Picks or prospects only, neglecting any cap complications.

Edit: typo I meant added to Sandin lol

Last edited:
Reactions: dubplatepressure

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Nashville
Filip Forsberg at 50%

Leafs
2022 1st
Rasmus Sandin
Alex Kerfoot( cap purposes but I still value him as a 3rd round pick level)
Rodion Amirov

Leafs pay big and get a guy that could push them over the top. Cap is equal exchange. Nashville let's loads of assest 2/4 of the leafs top prospects and a 1st.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Nashville
Filip Forsberg at 50%

Leafs
2022 1st
Rasmus Sandin
Alex Kerfoot( cap purposes but I still value him as a 3rd round pick level)
Rodion Amirov

Leafs pay big and get a guy that could push them over the top. Cap is equal exchange. Nashville let's loads of assest 2/4 of the leafs top prospects and a 1st.
That is absolutely horrible. Just as bad as Toronto fans thinking everyone wants Kerfoot.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
That is absolutely horrible. Just as bad as Toronto fans thinking everyone wants Kerfoot.
How is this bad for Nashville?
Amirov was picked 15th last year and is a legit prospect who played well in the khl this year. Sandin is our top prospect. And kerfoot is there for cap purposes he easily makes Nashville or anyone's team for that matter. 2022 is a late first but definitely has value in q deep draft.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I sympathize with Leafs fans reluctance to move Sandin for a rental, but personally I'd pull the trigger this year if I had to.

The Leafs window is far from closing, but I don't think it can be overstated how good of an opportunity this year is. With normal divisions, the Leafs have struggled to finish above Tampa, which means they'll play a tough team like the Bruins or the Panthers first round. If you get back them you're probably playing Tampa, and if you get by Tampa you've got the best of the Metro. Do I think the Leafs can win a Cup that way? For sure. But it's tough, and so far they've struggled to get over that first hurdle.

This year, the path is something like Habs first round and Oilers/Jets second round. No disrespect to those clubs, but that's a way more favorable path for the Leafs than the Boston-Tampa one-two they'll likely face when the divisions realign. If I'm Kyle Dubas and I'm running a team this cup-starved, I'm going for the throat this year. A player like Mattias Ekholm or Taylor Hall could absolutely be the difference maker in a 7 game series. Obviously you try and move pieces like your '21 first and other prospects before Sandin, but if that's what it costs to make the right addition this year I'd pull the trigger 100%.

Trading good prospects sucks, but losing in the playoffs and wondering if you could have went bigger sucks worse in my opinion.

Reactions: Castle8130

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sandin doesn't get traded unless it's for a clear win now prime D. To think Dubas and the Leafs are trading away a player that would be Reilly's replacement when he walks as a UFA in another year is silly.

I also believe the Leafs are going to go for extreme character players like N. Foligno but to think they are going to give up top tier assets for him is never going to happen. Dubas has shown he'll move good assets for term prime players like Muzzin.
Leafs should be all in this year. They are thin in net and on the blueline.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
apparently Sandin is the only one not on the table

It's not really talked about in the media, but Sandin's injury has likely side-lined him for the season. Other GMs will either use that as discount chip, not want him because of the unknown return to play, or he's off the list of prospects altogether.

So what does Dubas really have to offer outside of Sandin. 3 players maybe? Like Liljegren, Robertson, and Amarov?

Anyone else? Would any gms take a chance on Woll or Scott? Maybe V.V.?

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
How is this bad for Nashville?
Amirov was picked 15th last year and is a legit prospect who played well in the khl this year. Sandin is our top prospect. And kerfoot is there for cap purposes he easily makes Nashville or anyone's team for that matter. 2022 is a late first but definitely has value in q deep draft.

It’s amazing for Nashville.

It’s beyond bad for Toronto.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad