News: Dubas open to trading top prospects

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
From the Athletic. I found it quite interesting.
Screenshot_20210316-112813.png

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He was asked about trading a top prospect this year and immediately replied with an energetic, "Yes."

Just means he's open to it. Not that he will.

So brake pumping may be advised.

It doesn't mean he will but he probably will it seems likely

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
That (and Amirov) are pretty much their top prospects. Can't see anyone else having the value needed to make a huge move.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them move Amirov. They were debating holding on to that pick after the names on their list were taken before #15.

Liljegren as well should be a trade option (I'm sure Leafs brass view him as a 'top prospect').

With Sandin and Robertson, difficult to see the Leafs winning a trade involving them (with their potential and likelihood of hitting it), unless it's for someone on a bargain contract who fits into the long-term plan.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Amirov to Nashville for Ekholm would be gross. Good prospect and we don't want Nashville to get better

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised to see them move Amirov. They were debating holding on to that pick after the names on their list were taken before #15.

Liljegren as well should be a trade option (I'm sure Leafs brass view him as a 'top prospect').

Oh yeah, forgot about Liljegren. Though I'd imagine him bring RD makes it less likely he's moved than Sandin or the forwards.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As they should.

They won't get a better opportunity to make it to the "conference finals" than they are likely to get this year. It's clear that they are the best team in the North and realistically only Winnipeg has a roster that could compete with them in a 7 game series.

Once/If they get to the final 4 then all.bets are off but at that point even if the 3 other teams in the final 4 are Tampa/Colorado/Washington... At that point all bets are off and any team could win.

This is the year for Toronto to go all in.

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
As they should.

They won't get a better opportunity to make it to the "conference finals" than they are likely to get this year. It's clear that they are the best team in the North and realistically only Winnipeg has a roster that could compete with them in a 7 game series.

Once/If they get to the final 4 then all.bets are off but at that point even if the 3 other teams in the final 4 are Tampa/Colorado/Washington... At that point all bets are off and any team could win.

This is the year for Toronto to go all in.

Agreed. Time to put the " I wanna keep my top prospects" and pull the trigger. When the Kings traded Simmonds and Schenn for Richards it really hurt - but we got 2 cups. The Leafs should fill any necessary need and make some legitimate cup runs for the next few years.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If we're never giving Lily a chance, move the kid. He is definitely going to be an NHLer and deserves a shot somewhere. I don't wanna move Sandin..would be open to moving Amirov, Roberston, Lily for the right piece.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If a trade to pick up a player like Mark Stone and we have the cap space to sign him long term, we'd part with a top prospect. We won't be trading them for rentals or guys who we're going to let walk as UFA's in the next 16 months. We're already right up against the cap with Hyman up this summer and Rielly up next year. Robertson, Liljegren, and Sandin all could be NHL contributors in the next two years, which directly helps our cap issues. Any deal today that's going to move them needs to knock our socks off or help solve the cap issue, because we're not going to trade one of our best pieces for Ekholm, which will cost us Holl in the expansion draft, Hyman this summer, and then Ekholm walks next summer. Leafs are happy to make a big play to get impact players, but we're not going to bleed assets. Be mindful of the dominoes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad