Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yeah, that was pretty egregious. I wasn't surprised by the lack of response though, it's what they've done for a long time here. Bergeron gets killed by Jones. No response. Savard gets blown up by Cook, no response. Marchand gets concussed, no response. Loui Eriksson gets concussed, no response. They've got a long history of not responding and turning the other cheek. It's why I said earlier in this thread that it's not a lack of toughness on the roster, but a lack of vocal leadership.

Didn't Sean Thornton get murdered by John Scott on the first one and then got suspended for 15 games for "knocking out" Brooks "Glue Gloves" Orpik? In fact, I'm pretty sure Thornton got concussed in the Scott fight himself

Reactions: WJCJ and Jdavidev

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Didn't Sean Thornton get murdered by John Scott on the first one and then got suspended for 15 games for "knocking out" Brooks "Glue Gloves" Orpik? In fact, I'm pretty sure Thornton got concussed in the Scott fight himself

He did get his face caved in my Scott, but I don't think it was tied to Loui. Orpick was, but wasn't it delayed? Like they finished the game, and then did nothing, but the next game he went after him or something? My memory is fuzzy on the details. I thought it was similar to the Cook thing where it was a week or two later, but I could be crossing them.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He did get his face caved in my Scott, but I don't think it was tied to Loui. Orpick was, but wasn't it delayed? Like they finished the game, and then did nothing, but the next game he went after him or something? My memory is fuzzy on the details. I thought it was similar to the Cook thing where it was a week or two later, but I could be crossing them.

I think you're right, it may have been delayed in both cases. It really begs the question then, if you have a guy like Sean Thornton on your roster who was still one of the most feared fighters in the game back then, why no response to hits like the ones you mentioned? I'm genuinely curious about this as everyone here has mentioned several times during games etc. Why no response? There has to be a reason that we couch monsters have no idea about?? :dunno:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think you're right, it may have been delayed in both cases. It really begs the question then, if you have a guy like Sean Thornton on your roster who was still one of the most feared fighters in the game back then, why no response to hits like the ones you mentioned? I'm genuinely curious about this as everyone here has mentioned several times during games etc. Why no response? There has to be a reason that we couch monsters have no idea about?? :dunno:

I also wonder what good a "response" would actually do? It may do something more than just satisfy us fans that we responded, but I don't know. I would have loved someone on the B's to put Ovie through the endboards after what he did to Carlo, for example, but nothing was done. Is there some sort of mandate from management, perhaps? Some desire to shed the image of the "Big Bad Bruins" in Gary Bettman's NHL?

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Yeah, you got me. It made me nuts to see, especially the Matt Cook one on Savard. Even worse was the canned, dispassionate response a week later, after the fans and media had called the team out for no response when it happened. That made it so much worse. Like Thornton didn't want to do it, but felt he had to. I personally think that was the beginning of the end for his usefulness and leadership on the team. It's also a big reason why I scoff at the suggestion that the team needs a guy like Thornton. We had him and he didn't do anything to prevent any other teams from taking runs at their star players.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think the Thornton/Orpik situation was the same game, just a little later in it. I still to this day have no idea how Orpik was knocked out... I just don't see it.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
To be honest, Thornton was never really a feared fighter. He was very good at it, very technical but not really a destroyer or anything. People were legitimately terrified of guys like McGrattan and Orr, Thornton was however 10x the player either were.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I also wonder what good a "response" would actually do? It may do something more than just satisfy us fans that we responded, but I don't know. I would have loved someone on the B's to put Ovie through the endboards after what he did to Carlo, for example, but nothing was done. Is there some sort of mandate from management, perhaps? Some desire to shed the image of the "Big Bad Bruins" in Gary Bettman's NHL?

It's something that can be argued both ways, no question. I think the fact that someone stands up for a teammate goes a long way in the room though. Kind of like that dust up with the Stars and Sean Avery back in the day. That event really brought the team together and they looked tremendous afterwards.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To be honest, Thornton was never really a feared fighter. He was very good at it, very technical but not really a destroyer or anything. People were legitimately terrified of guys like McGrattan and Orr, Thornton was however 10x the player either were.

Still mad that the Bruins had both of these guys and didn't do anything with them.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yeah, you got me. It made me nuts to see, especially the Matt Cook one on Savard. Even worse was the canned, dispassionate response a week later, after the fans and media had called the team out for no response when it happened. That made it so much worse. Like Thornton didn't want to do it, but felt he had to. I personally think that was the beginning of the end for his usefulness and leadership on the team. It's also a big reason why I scoff at the suggestion that the team needs a guy like Thornton. We had him and he didn't do anything to prevent any other teams from taking runs at their star players.

Like @Dr Hook said, there has to be some behind the scenes reasons we have no idea about. I mean every knee jerk reaction from all of us is pretty much the same, and these guys play a sport where you can drop the gloves and fight someone, so there's got to be a bigger reason we're not seeing

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think the Thornton/Orpik situation was the same game, just a little later in it. I still to this day have no idea how Orpik was knocked out... I just don't see it.

IICRC, he fell awkwardly after Thornton slew footed him. It wasn't anything Thornton did to hit him, but more his impact with the ice from falling. Pretty much just bad luck.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
IICRC, he fell awkwardly after Thornton slew footed him. It wasn't anything Thornton did to hit him, but more his impact with the ice from falling. Pretty much just bad luck.

Funny I had to watch the video of the Orpik incident. It was after James Neal kneeing Marchand. Looks like Thornton's second punch drove Orpik's head enough into the ice to knock him out

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Didn't Bettman try to get into the Bruins locker room to "make sure nothing happened" the game after Savard was drilled by Cooke? I read something that Recchi basically told him to f*** off and leave.

I could be wrong, though.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
People can believe whatever they want, the truth is already in this thread. Starting on page 54, post 1331 is where I state that being physical and big hits are not the same thing. You then extrapolate that out to me saying hits don't matter over and over and over again, despite me posting multiple times that physical play doesn't have to exclusively mean big hits. So yeah. It's me. :laugh:

ummm yup, it is you.

all I've stated is that the team needs to be more physical (including hitting) and you have since ranted on about how it doesn't matter and all hits are equal blaaaah blah blaaaah blah blaaah and then extrapolate my wanting a more physical team into blood lust and random acts of violence and only excited by hits and wanting fighters etc etc etc.

give it up.

go outside and enjoy the weather or something.

have a latte or some tea.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
ummm yup, it is you.

all I've stated is that the team needs to be more physical (including hitting) and you have since ranted on about how it doesn't matter and all hits are equal blaaaah blah blaaaah blah blaaah and then extrapolate my wanting a more physical team into blood lust and random acts of violence and only excited by hits and wanting fighters etc etc etc.

give it up.

go outside and enjoy the weather or something.

have a latte or some tea.

he won't. He calls me a p***y every time I mention Starbucks lattes.

Reactions: bb_fan and LSCII

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Yeah you were right, that fight with Thornton happened in Boston the Eriksson hit was in Buffalo. But Adam McQuaid went after Scott

Brutal hit

Reactions: LSCII

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Back to the Bruins, they were not committed as a team to pay the price both with or without the puck to go very far this year.

Fore checkers often let up or didn't follow through on meaningful hits. The Lightning were never concerned about the Bruins physicality nor were they tired out/worn down from the physical pounding they should have endured.

Guys with the puck like Nash and Pasta were content to try and rip a non-existent top corner off of the extreme wing rather than take the puck to cage on a power move and see what could have developed.

This team as currently constituted does not have a sufficient enough amount of players who will pay the price with and without the puck to win 16 games and a cup. Some of that could be youth, alot of it is there are too many of the same kinds of player on this team. Blidh is one example of the kind of player the Bruins need to groom to see if he can handle the playoff intensity.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Didn't Bettman try to get into the Bruins locker room to "make sure nothing happened" the game after Savard was drilled by Cooke? I read something that Recchi basically told him to **** off and leave.

I could be wrong, though.

I don't know if it happened but it certainly sounds like something that smarmy little turd would do :mad:

Reactions: Dr Hook

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yes he did, he took him to the ice pretty fast there. I don't blame him though. Scott is a monster.
Scott is a terrifying dude. He neutered the Bruins whenever they played Buffalo. They legitimately brought him in after Lucic crashed Miller.

I've only really seen Scott take a beating from Colton Orr & Justin Johnson.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Scott is a terrifying dude. He neutered the Bruins whenever they played Buffalo. They legitimately brought him in after Lucic crashed Miller.

I've only really seen Scott take a beating from Colton Orr & Justin Johnson.

I'm surprised Chara didn't have a go at Scott. Would've been a fair fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille