Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He enabled two of the best players to produce with a skill set that allegedly has no value or place in today's game.
Come on now. Speed + physicality has value in every generation, anyone who actually said what you are claiming is lost.

The skill set that has very little value is the slow lumbering guys that some people want the B's to go out and get.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Come on now. Speed + physicality has value in every generation, anyone who actually said what you are claiming is lost.

The skill set that has very little value is the slow lumbering guys that some people want the B's to go out and get.

I'd like to see which posters are taking the stance that they don't want any physical players and just need a team full of 5' 9" speedy skill players who don't ever sweat. There seems to be some mystery posters on this thread that I must be missing?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And if Marchand was a 35 point player I'm sure he'd get a lot more flak around here

If he was a 35 point guy I think Marchand has already been sent packing, or at least not re-signed when he was eligible to become a UFA.

That being said, Marchand is far from the 1st pro athlete who his employer only tolerates due to his in-game performance.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would love a Tom Wilson on both wings. Loose cannons tend to make other teams aware of their presence on the ice and I really don't care if he is dirty. I don't want choir boys or Lady Byng candidates on my team I want guys that will do whatever it takes to win.

Funny. Some of the winners of the Lady Byng would help do whatever it takes to win just as much, if not more, than some loose cannon idiots skating around the ice.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I would love a Tom Wilson on both wings. Loose cannons tend to make other teams aware of their presence on the ice and I really don't care if he is dirty. I don't want choir boys or Lady Byng candidates on my team I want guys that will do whatever it takes to win.

Former winners

Gaudreau
Kopitar
Ryan ORielly
Martin St Louis
Datsyuk
Francis
Sakic
Gretzky
Kariya

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
thing is if he's on our team he's our POS and screw everyone else

hockey's a violent and sometimes 'dirty' sport, like it or not.

people that scream about the Tom Wilsons and say how they don't want them because they are 'dirty' look at Marchand and say they don't 'like' the dirty play, but they aren't beating the drums to trade him because of it.

He's 'our' POS, but he scores.

in a perfect world there would be no cheap shots, no intent to injure other people, just hard clean body checks and good play.

'With all due respect, your honor, we don't live in this courtroom though, do we?'

they have done everything they can to take fighting out except an all out ban.

they keep passing rules to take head shots out, yet people keep getting concussed on 'clean' head shots.

and they keep expanding and watering down the league and talent level.

there's a balance somewhere in all of this that most rational people look for, but unfortunately not all people on the ice are rational (or are fans)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Brad Marchand put up 85 points in each of the the last 2 seasons. Tom Wilson, 35 and 19. Massive difference. You can put up with douchebaggery for 85 points. You don't like it, but 85 points makes Brad elite at his position, so you tolerate it. The tolerance level drops pretty sharply for 35. It might not be "right" but it is what it is. We have a POS in Marchand, why add another one? Especially for 35 points.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Brad Marchand put up 85 points in each of the the last 2 seasons. Tom Wilson, 35 and 19. Massive difference. You can put up with *****ebaggery for 85 points. You don't like it, but 85 points makes Brad elite at his position, so you tolerate it. The tolerance level drops pretty sharply for 35. It might not be "right" but it is what it is. We have a POS in Marchand, why add another one? Especially for 35 points.

One of my least favorite moments in Bruins history was when they went out and got Chris Nilan. We were supposed to cheer for that asshat and ignore his long history of offenses against Bruins players, just because he was wearing the right uniform? No thanks. Hated him being on the Bruins. Literally the worst, and I never cheered for him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'd like to see which posters are taking the stance that they don't want any physical players and just need a team full of 5' 9" speedy skill players who don't ever sweat. There seems to be some mystery posters on this thread that I must be missing?
Exactly. The funny thing is I found it obvious the hole that we need filled in our bottom 6 from watching the playoffs, and unlike what some here think it wasn't size that was lacking, it was speed. Our bottom 6 was so much slower than Tampa's and Toronto's, I don't think they were any (or much) less physical.

Now I am all for adding a fast, big, physical guy for our bottom 6 or top 6, that's a combination that I can get behind. Please stay away from any slow big dude like Reaves, we have enough guys who are lacking foot speed.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
There are plenty of people swooning over Reaves on Vegas because he scored a GWG in the playoffs. He fills a role, but not the type of guy I would target

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree, a few may, but I think if you go back thru the thread, he was brought up as an example, and it went from there.

I think you might find most wanting him if he can still skate and play effectively, I don't think you will find many who will say if he's 'slow and lumbering but can fight i'll take him'.... but I could be wrong.

so far from what I remember this year (minus playoffs as I haven't watched vegas) he hasn't been any worse a skater than any other 4th liner. but again, I could be wrong.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
One of my least favorite moments in Bruins history was when they went out and got Chris Nilan. We were supposed to cheer for that asshat and ignore his long history of offenses against Bruins players, just because he was wearing the right uniform? No thanks. Hated him being on the Bruins. Literally the worst, and I never cheered for him.

Add Mike Milbury to that list even though he started his career with the B's.

Reactions: sarge88 and LSCII

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree, a few may, but I think if you go back thru the thread, he was brought up as an example, and it went from there.

I think you might find most wanting him if he can still skate and play effectively, I don't think you will find many who will say if he's 'slow and lumbering but can fight i'll take him'.... but I could be wrong.

so far from what I remember this year (minus playoffs as I haven't watched vegas) he hasn't been any worse a skater than any other 4th liner. but again, I could be wrong.
Yeah, forgive me as I haven't read the past few pages but saw his name thrown around a few times.

He wouldn't be a bad guy to have as a 13th forward, he is an okay skater for his size, but I touched on it in a previous post, I think a more glaring weakness than size in the playoffs was the lack of speed in our bottom 6, and he doesn't fix that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. The funny thing is I found it obvious the hole that we need filled in our bottom 6 from watching the playoffs, and unlike what some here think it wasn't size that was lacking, it was speed. Our bottom 6 was so much slower than Tampa's and Toronto's, I don't think they were any (or much) less physical.

Now I am all for adding a fast, big, physical guy for our bottom 6 or top 6, that's a combination that I can get behind. Please stay away from any slow big dude like Reaves, we have enough guys who are lacking foot speed.

Reaves if he's your slowest skating forward I think is OK.

But in Boston he's still quicker than Schaller, Riley Nash, Backes, Acciari. Even Heinen isn't really fast (has a better first step than the rest of these guys do).

They are stuck with Backes next year. Acciari is here too and Cassidy loves him so pencil him into a regular spot unfortunately.

So if Reaves is just replacing one of Riley or Schaller and the rest are still here (and likely they will be) I don't see how that is much of an upgrade or difference for Boston. I'd take him over Acciari on RW in a heartbeat but I'm no fan of Acciari.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Reaves if he's your slowest skating forward I think is OK.

But in Boston he's still quicker than Schaller, Riley Nash, Backes, Acciari. Even Heinen isn't really fast (has a better first step than the rest of these guys do).

They are stuck with Backes next year. Acciari is here too and Cassidy loves him so pencil him into a regular spot unfortunately.

So if Reaves is just replacing one of Riley or Schaller and the rest are still here (and likely they will be) I don't see how that is much of an upgrade or difference for Boston. I'd take him over Acciari on RW in a heartbeat but I'm no fan of Acciari.

Good observation. Will be funny on Behind the B when Reaves beats like half the starting 12 forwards we have :)

Reactions: BruinDust

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
ummm yup, it is you.

all I've stated is that the team needs to be more physical (including hitting) and you have since ranted on about how it doesn't matter and all hits are equal blaaaah blah blaaaah blah blaaah and then extrapolate my wanting a more physical team into blood lust and random acts of violence and only excited by hits and wanting fighters etc etc etc.

give it up.

go outside and enjoy the weather or something.

have a latte or some tea.
I'm going to step in here, mostly because I'm tired of the bullshit between both of you. What you said about Lonnie saying all hits are equal is patently untrue. He never said that. What he said was that playing physical is not the same as big hits. By the same token, you're to at least some degree right that he's utilized hyperbole in extrapolating your position beyond what you've actually said. so you're both doing it.

I have a suggestion. Decide between yourselves that you're not going to agree on this and move on. The thread will be better for it.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I made a case for Tom Wilson for forever --in the last few years he would have been dirt cheap to acquire compared to now-- but have constantly been told how he is just a cheap, useless plug... on here he is a "bigger Rinaldo clone" etc. so I too would be interested in hearing how he is not actually a valuable player for Washington?
He's 10X the actual hockey player than Rinaldo is. Which is exactly what makes him useful. He's not only a physical force, he's also decent hockey player who adds more value than just hitting people. Yeah, he crosses the line because of his willingness/desire to make a big hit, but that willingness to make that big hit is still needed in hockey these days. especially from a useful hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->