Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I also wonder what good a "response" would actually do? It may do something more than just satisfy us fans that we responded, but I don't know. I would have loved someone on the B's to put Ovie through the endboards after what he did to Carlo, for example, but nothing was done. Is there some sort of mandate from management, perhaps? Some desire to shed the image of the "Big Bad Bruins" in Gary Bettman's NHL?

Who's going to put Ovie through the end boards? He's a tank.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Who's going to put Ovie through the end boards? He's a tank.

Miller, Quaided, Chara, Backes. Someone should have atleast tried to make him answer. Instead nothing happened and the freaking national guys were praising Ovi. I can’t believe I’m rooting for him to win a cup right now.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Just waiting for one of you to explain away the impact Tom Wilson is making today and has made throughout the postseason.
I made a case for Tom Wilson for forever --in the last few years he would have been dirt cheap to acquire compared to now-- but have constantly been told how he is just a cheap, useless plug... on here he is a "bigger Rinaldo clone" etc. so I too would be interested in hearing how he is not actually a valuable player for Washington?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I made a case for Tom Wilson for forever --in the last few years he would have been dirt cheap to acquire compared to now-- but have constantly been told how he is just a cheap, useless plug... on here he is a "bigger Rinaldo clone" etc. so I too would be interested in hearing how he is not actually a valuable player for Washington?
I made the same argument with the predictable responses. My favorite being he was a wasted first round pick but it would cost to much to acquire him. Because he was a wasted but expensive pick?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Scott is a terrifying dude. He neutered the Bruins whenever they played Buffalo. They legitimately brought him in after Lucic crashed Miller.

I've only really seen Scott take a beating from Colton Orr & Justin Johnson.

I know it's a minor thing but those games really ticked me off. Bruins ran roughshod over them when Paul Gaustad was their toughest player but with Scott not much noise at all. Props to Thornton for stepping up but that was on Lucic or Chara to go with him and they never did.

Of course fans here said ignore him, but were fine with Chara v regher, Lucic vs Kaleta and Thornton vs Weber.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Wilson is playing with two of the best players in the world he should be performing, no?
Yup, but if you listened to some on here he could barely skate, was dirtier than Marchand and Steve Ott combined and had no place in the NHL.

Anderson is on the same curve and while many say they would like him they under value him because he is tough

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Caps paid a high pick on him. I don't think he was ever dirt cheap.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He enabled two of the best players to produce with a skill set that allegedly has no value or place in today's game.

What's sad is you believe somehow Wilson on that line has "enabled" OV to do the same stuff he's always done.

Has Kuznetsov suddenly become a much better player now that he's with Wilson? Because he was a heck of a player before Wilson every joined his line.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yup, but if you listened to some on here he could barely skate, was dirtier than Marchand and Steve Ott combined and had no place in the NHL.

Anderson is on the same curve and while many say they would like him they under value him because he is tough

Those were the extreme case posters though. I don't think he's a bad player and would have a spot on my team every day of the week but I still don't think he's a great hockey player

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Those were the extreme case posters though. I don't think he's a bad player and would have a spot on my team every day of the week but I still don't think he's a great hockey player

Wilson was a 1st round pick. This narrative that B’s fans thought he was a thug and he could have been acquired on the cheap is just false. I think 99% of B’s fans would love to add a big, physical player capable of skating with two first line talents. The problem is that almost none of these guys exist.

Wilson, the good and bad, was on full display last night. Great hit in the NZ before the first Caps goal...then he absolutely loses it when Girardi or Coburn pulled off Kuz’s jersey in that 1st period scrum. He was out of control when the lineman had him, and he easily could have gotten himself tossed. He’s a very effective player when he’s on, but I still think he’s a POS a lot of the time. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wilson was a 1st round pick. This narrative that B’s fans thought he was a thug and he could have been acquired on the cheap is just false. I think 99% of B’s fans would love to add a big, physical player capable of skating with two first line talents. The problem is that almost none of these guys exist.

Wilson, the good and bad, was on full display last night. Great hit in the NZ before the first Caps goal...then he absolutely loses it when Girardi or Coburn pulled off Kuz’s jersey in that 1st period scrum. He was out of control when the lineman had him, and he easily could have gotten himself tossed. He’s a very effective player when he’s on, but I still think he’s a POS a lot of the time. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

But, but, but, we love to talk in black and white absolutism here. :naughty:

Reactions: Chief Nine

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He certainly made a big impact in the biggest game in Caps history last night.
Called playing with passion. I'm not saying all skilled players do not or that all tough players do play with extra or less passion but I will say Wilson set a tone and backed it up. that gets undervalued here by too many.

Reactions: LouJersey

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Games 1, 3, and 5 he mostly saw the Point and Gourde line more than the Stamkos line. So sadly, you are wrong.

2018_05_23_8_23_21.png

Game 5. Deciding game, Tampa gets last change.

In games 2 and 4 the Krejci line faced the Stamkos line 61% and 42 % of the time respectively. In game 3 they faced the Johnson line the most at 37%, but the Stamkos line was only barely behind that at 36%. In the games where Tampa avoided the Stamkos/Krejci matchup, they still faced each other over 20% of the time and in those games where they weren't necessarily matched up against the Stamkos line they were matched up against Hedman. Still a significant amount of time playing against what was arguably the best offensive line in the NHL and one of the best defensemen in the NHL. And the Stamkos/Kucherov line did essentially nothing against the Krejci line until game 5 which might explain why they tried to get away from them in game 5 as you point out.

so yes, it would have been nice to see Krejci carry his two injured wingers to a more impactful game at some point after game 1, but their ability to shut that line down and not be a liability is a little underappreciated IMO.

In any case, that series was lost in the bottom 6 matchups IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

thing is if he's on our team he's our POS and screw everyone else

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
thing is if he's on our team he's our POS and screw everyone else

Yes and no.

I would probably defend him vehemently if he was a Bruin for a lot of stuff, because that’s how I am. On the other hand, I have seen quite a bit of Wilson and IMO he makes Marchand look like a choirboy.

If you asked me which one of them has a better chance at ending someone’s career, hands down it would be Wilson. Marchand is sneaky dirty and at times disgusting (lick), but I never got the sense he was “out of control”. If anything, he seems very calculating.

Watch Wilson when he’s engaged with the linesman last night. He’s completely lost it, and I could totally see him (in that state) retaliating on a player for something and ending their career.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes and no.

I would probably defend him vehemently if he was a Bruin for a lot of stuff, because that’s how I am. On the other hand, I have seen quite a bit of Wilson and IMO he makes Marchand look like a choirboy.

If you asked me which one of them has a better chance at ending someone’s career, hands down it would be Wilson. Marchand is sneaky dirty and at times disgusting (lick), but I never got the sense he was “out of control”. If anything, he seems very calculating.

Watch Wilson when he’s engaged with the linesman last night. He’s completely lost it, and I could totally see him (in that state) retaliating on a player for something and ending their career.

This is where I am with him- he's a loose cannon and a dirty SOB. He's got some skill, and can play for sure, but I never want to see him as a Bruin because I'd find myself defending him to some extent and he's a pretty indefensible player.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I would love a Tom Wilson on both wings. Loose cannons tend to make other teams aware of their presence on the ice and I really don't care if he is dirty. I don't want choir boys or Lady Byng candidates on my team I want guys that will do whatever it takes to win.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
This is where I am with him- he's a loose cannon and a dirty SOB. He's got some skill, and can play for sure, but I never want to see him as a Bruin because I'd find myself defending him to some extent and he's a pretty indefensible player.
We have Brad Marchand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad