Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wish the B's had never traded Looch. IMO (and I know not many feel this way) it was a HUGE mistake in so many ways.

This isn’t directed at you LF (just quoting the most recent post). I’m one of the guys that was fine with the trade (because of his age and the contract he would get). Also, if the stories are true, he wanted to be closer to VAN and his family.

I loved Lucic when he was playing well, and I appreciated what he brought to the team, but there were many nights where he coasted and was not worth anywhere near what he was getting paid. People remember the great effort in game 7 vs TOR, but forget the series against MTL where he played like shit and then got all pissed off in the handshake line. Where was all that venom during the series?

Yes, most people would rather pay Lucic than Beleskey and Spooner, but unfortunately that’s not how it works. If Beleskey had turned out what they thought he would be (15 goals, 250 hits a season, elevated playoff game), he would have been a suitable replacement for Lucic’s forecheck (not his fighting). It didn’t work out that way, so now people are pining for the old Lucic. The problem is that by the time they traded him, he wasn’t playing like that guy here.

Move on from Lucic. The B’s don’t need another bloated $6m contract on their roster. They just need a physical guy that will hit, fight when needed and play the game a little. Easier said than done, I know.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
*** For the record, this isn't belittling DeBrusk attempting to stand up for a teammate. It isn't about the amount of fights but if you think that the number of fights matter as much as the fighters themselves then you are living in a world where we might as well have kept Hayes for the amount of fights/hugs he gave out last year.

The Penguins only have 5 fights for their entire team (all Reaves) and nobody is running them this year.... should we compare that number to the fights for Jimmy Hayes last year? If we are just comparing the amount of fights then Reaves and Hayes almost bring the same amount of intimidation to a game!!!

Beleskey was all about giving out free hugs this year --does anyone care about that?
Dubinsky loves to go after star players so Kassian went after him a few days ago at the end of the game --kinda cheap but he put him out for 6-8 weeks in a fight.

Are we seriously comparing the "message" sent by DeBrusk or Schaller to that of a legit, nasty forward like Kassian? Because I can tell you that no player in the NHL thinks twice about pissing off DeBrusk or Schaller and many are intimidated by Kassian (he's got a few screws loose as well, which helps).

Kassian had a great playoff last yr and Ive watched quite a bit of the oil and he's more than just a fighter he has some game and never quits,as well as having some wheels.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Kassian had a great playoff last yr and Ive watched quite a bit of the oil and he's more than just a fighter he has some game and never quits,as well as having some wheels.

Kassian would be a great addition, he can skate, hits, understands his role and doesn' hurt his team. Since he started getting help for his off ice issues he has been an outstanding physical bottom 6 forward.

Hopefully Neely is watching this team and realizes the desperate need for at least one tough forward and will put his issues with chiarelli aside and tell sleepy Sweeney to go get him. It's chiarelli he may want something as insignificant as Czarnik or someone like McAvoy for him, you just cant tell with chia.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not worth what he gets.Thats why he us gone.

He's earning his money this season. On pace for 20 goals, 60 points, well over 200 hits. Only 9 players have been in more fights this season.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at all the folks who look at Lucic and point to his contract and how awful it is. He had a decent season last year, he's having a good one now. He's been remarkably durable in his career, keeps himself in shape and eats right, his game was never about speed. There is no evidence to prove that he's going to dramatically regress and make the Oilers regret that deal in years 3 through 7.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He's earning his money this season. On pace for 20 goals, 60 points, well over 200 hits. Only 9 players have been in more fights this season.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at all the folks who look at Lucic and point to his contract and how awful it is. He had a decent season last year, he's having a good one now. He's been remarkably durable in his career, keeps himself in shape and eats right, his game was never about speed. There is no evidence to prove that he's going to dramatically regress and make the Oilers regret that deal in years 3 through 7.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Great post !

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

I was ok with the Lucic trade at the time. The contract he got is pretty much in line with what we all thought he'd get. A guy who plays like he does, especially in his junior days and his first three pro years, will likely be pretty broken down during the last three years or so of that contract. He'll be 34 by the expiry date.

This made sense. Then they signed another very physical guy in Backes. The same cap hit where he'll be 36 at expiry. Lucic has had harder miles but this still never made sense to me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was ok with the Lucic trade at the time. The contract he got is pretty much in line with what we all thought he'd get. A guy who plays like he does, especially in his junior days and his first three pro years, will likely be pretty broken down during the last three years or so of that contract. He'll be 34 by the expiry date.

This made sense. Then they signed another very physical guy in Backes. The same cap hit where he'll be 36 at expiry. Lucic has had harder miles but this still never made sense to me.

The return on the trade to LA was fair value for a guy 1-year from UFA. And he wanted to go out west. The contract he got from Edmonton was market value and what was expected.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if his body holds up. He's built like a brick house, especially in the upper body where he's just thick, and that's where he's absorbed most of the punishment. I think he's built to play his style, and like Shane Doan (who was also big and thick), he may be just fine throughout his deal regardless of his style.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
No argument on Lucic chipping in points this year but Warren Young looked like a first ballot HOFer riding shotgun with Lemeiux in '85. He should be piling up points playing primarily on McDavid's wing. Looch will always be beloved here due to his style of play and 2011. One of my favorites in the last 25 years for sure.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No argument on Lucic chipping in points this year but Warren Young looked like a first ballot HOFer riding shotgun with Lemeiux in '85. He should be piling up points playing primarily on McDavid's wing. Looch will always be beloved here due to his style of play and 2011. One of my favorites in the last 25 years for sure.

Rob Brown is probably an even better example of riding shotgun for Mario. He really did look like a HOFer.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Rob Brown is probably an even better example of riding shotgun for Mario. He really did look like a HOFer.

Absolutely he was but he had the benefit on multiple seasons with Mario the Magnificent. Young got one year (in his late 20's IIRC) and then bolted to Detroit as a free agent. Out of the league a couple seasons after that. Playing with a generational type player can sure boost your stat line.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This isn’t directed at you LF (just quoting the most recent post). I’m one of the guys that was fine with the trade (because of his age and the contract he would get). Also, if the stories are true, he wanted to be closer to VAN and his family.

I loved Lucic when he was playing well, and I appreciated what he brought to the team, but there were many nights where he coasted and was not worth anywhere near what he was getting paid. People remember the great effort in game 7 vs TOR, but forget the series against MTL where he played like **** and then got all pissed off in the handshake line. Where was all that venom during the series?

Yes, most people would rather pay Lucic than Beleskey and Spooner, but unfortunately that’s not how it works. If Beleskey had turned out what they thought he would be (15 goals, 250 hits a season, elevated playoff game), he would have been a suitable replacement for Lucic’s forecheck (not his fighting). It didn’t work out that way, so now people are pining for the old Lucic. The problem is that by the time they traded him, he wasn’t playing like that guy here.

Move on from Lucic. The B’s don’t need another bloated $6m contract on their roster. They just need a physical guy that will hit, fight when needed and play the game a little. Easier said than done, I know.

This isn't directed at JUST you Joe but Milan Lucic is exactly the kind of forward the B's need right now and 6 million is the going rate. He is very well liked in the locker room by the players and staff and would fit in nicely (IMO).

I know he won't be coming back to Boston to play but I still believe it was a mistake to trade him. He is a unique player and was meant to be a Bruin.

Neither Backes or Belesky are anywhere as good as Looch (I like Backes but he is older and Looch is still better IMO).

Reactions: TCB and sarge88

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This isn't directed at JUST you Joe but Milan Lucic is exactly the kind of forward the B's need right now and 6 million is the going rate. He is very well liked in the locker room by the players and staff and would fit in nicely (IMO).

I know he won't be coming back to Boston to play but I still believe it was a mistake to trade him. He is a unique player and was meant to be a Bruin.

Neither Backes or Belesky are anywhere as good as Looch (I like Backes but he is older and Looch is still better IMO).

Given that Lucic wasn’t playing like “exactly like the kind of forward the B’s need right now” (in your opinion) when he WAS here, I’m not sure how accurate this is? I would absolutely pay $6m for the Lucic that we saw the Cup year and before. I would not pay that for the way he performed before he was traded.

The situation reminds me of the last couple of years Clemens was here with the Sox. His play had tailed off and he seemed very indifferent and not motivated. If he had stayed in Boston, I’m not sure that he ever would have gone on to the successes he had elsewhere.

I feel the same way about Lucic. No way to prove it, but I believe he would have continued to be inconsistent if he stayed in Boston and being dealt to a new team was the kick in the ass he needed.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Given that Lucic wasn’t playing like “exactly like the kind of forward the B’s need right now” (in your opinion) when he WAS here, I’m not sure how accurate this is? I would absolutely pay $6m for the Lucic that we saw the Cup year and before. I would not pay that for the way he performed before he was traded.

The situation reminds me of the last couple of years Clemens was here with the Sox. His play had tailed off and he seemed very indifferent and not motivated. If he had stayed in Boston, I’m not sure that he ever would have gone on to the successes he had elsewhere.

I feel the same way about Lucic. No way to prove it, but I believe he would have continued to be inconsistent if he stayed in Boston and being dealt to a new team was the kick in the ass he needed.
We will never know and we will never agree on this so it is really a waste of time to debate as Looch will not be returning.

I remember his last few months as a B playing with a very young Pasta and Spooner.

I remember he looked pretty good with the youngsters.

peace...

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
We will never know and we will never agree on this so it is really a waste of time to debate as Looch will not be returning.

I remember his last few months as a B playing with a very young Pasta and Spooner.

I remember he looked pretty good with the youngsters.

peace...

You mean his last few months when the coaching staff was forced to drop him to the 3rd line with two kids that could skate, not for protection, but so it would force him to move his feet (something he wasn’t doing previously)??? This from a veteran making $6m per.

Yes, that will be one of my lasting memories of him as well.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I love Milan Lucic, he was part of the passion and heart that made the 2011 Bruins a team I will never forget. When he is on his game, he is a beast and sticks up for his teammates and was valuable in a way that can't be quantified by how much money he is getting paid. Opposing fans can't stand him, and that just makes him more endearing to me and people who root for him.

But at the end of the day, he wasn't gonna get paid here. As far as Left Wingers on the Boston Bruins are concerned, resigning Brad Marchand was always a much higher priority. I'd much rather pay Marchand and develop young talent that is going to cost a lot less, and possibly have a higher upside than Lucic. Guys like DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork and Cehlarik now have to opportunity to prove themselves as the team tries to rebuild itself for another run.

Two 1st round picks and Colin Miller for a 1 year rental of a player that was probably not going to be resigned. It was a good move at the time and will be a good move going forward. A necessary sacrifice.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I love Milan Lucic, he was part of the passion and heart that made the 2011 Bruins a team I will never forget. When he is on his game, he is a beast and sticks up for his teammates and was valuable in a way that can't be quantified by how much money he is getting paid. Opposing fans can't stand him, and that just makes him more endearing to me and people who root for him.

But at the end of the day, he wasn't gonna get paid here. As far as Left Wingers on the Boston Bruins are concerned, resigning Brad Marchand was always a much higher priority. I'd much rather pay Marchand and develop young talent that is going to cost a lot less, and possibly have a higher upside than Lucic. Guys like DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork and Cehlarik now have to opportunity to prove themselves as the team tries to rebuild itself for another run.

Two 1st round picks and Colin Miller for a 1 year rental of a player that was probably not going to be resigned. It was a good move at the time and will be a good move going forward. A necessary sacrifice.

Good post. Tbe pros in that deal Chiller and Kuraly were basically JAGS tho. Zboril and Frederic are how the deal will be judged. So while the deal was a good one, we may have missed the playoffs because of it, we signed Beleskey because of it, and the two pros we got in it aren't very good.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
i've beat this drum a ton this season, but Lucic at 6 million and 29 years old is a better contract than Backes at 33 for the same price.

and yeah I get that you don't want to pay Lucic 6 million to be your 2nd line left wing behind Marchand, but
1. I could easily see Marchand moving to the RW if you wanted to have a Lucic/Bergeron/Marchand line
2. we're paying a guy 6 million to be our 3rd line RW (when the guy is a natural center no less)

anyway, it's done & over with but trading Lucic sucked and it is probably going to take them years if not decades to find a guy who replaces the singular dynamic he brought to this team (if they ever do). For years after Lucic emerged you had teams trying to draft "the next Lucic" and somehow the Bruins managed to put themselves in the awkward position of needing to do the same thing.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
i've beat this drum a ton this season, but Lucic at 6 million and 29 years old is a better contract than Backes at 33 for the same price.

and yeah I get that you don't want to pay Lucic 6 million to be your 2nd line left wing behind Marchand, but
1. I could easily see Marchand moving to the RW if you wanted to have a Lucic/Bergeron/Marchand line
2. we're paying a guy 6 million to be our 3rd line RW (when the guy is a natural center no less)

anyway, it's done & over with but trading Lucic sucked and it is probably going to take them years if not decades to find a guy who replaces the singular dynamic he brought to this team (if they ever do).

Looch and Krejci their like PBJ.......Well maybe thats Bergy and Marchand but they were dam good together!

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I wish the B's had never traded Looch. IMO (and I know not many feel this way) it was a HUGE mistake in so many ways.
100% agree. Out here in Alberta, I see Lucic Oilers jerseys all the time. Hurts my heart.

He may have wanted to go out west regardless and the Bruins may have never been able to sign him. But I wouldn't have blinked at the deal he received... I love Looch and I wish he could have been a lifelong Bruin.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good post. Tbe pros in that deal Chiller and Kuraly were basically JAGS tho. Zboril and Frederic are how the deal will be judged. So while the deal was a good one, we may have missed the playoffs because of it, we signed Beleskey because of it, and the two pros we got in it aren't very good.

And you forgot to mention it was a snakey move akin to offer sheeting an RFA to trade for Jones and then flip him to LA's rival.

I've been trolled mercilessly on here for daring to question Sweeney doing that. But being an NHL GM is sort of an old boys club they all know each other and having good relationships with one another is important. Martin Jones remains by far the best player Sweeney has traded for despite it happening within a couple months of getting the job. And its not even close. Coincidence?

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad