Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It would have been fitting if Wilson tackling Marchand ended Marchand's season as Wilson gave him a concussion earlier in the season as well. Wilson also took Marchand off for 10-10 misconducts at the end of the game.

Marchand is clearly frustrated with how he has been targeted this year; risking breaking a hand fighting Orlov is a clear sign of that. The refs will NEVER give him the benefit of the doubt and other teams see they can cross the line with him.
Do you notice at the end of this scrum, "Killer" is standing next to Wilson with the gentle hug?

I repeat the question: which Caps star was targeted in the same way that Marchand was last night?

BTW: It was really interesting to watch the game and see how well behaved Wilson was against the Pens earlier this year! He's usually extra nasty against them but I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with this in the back of his mind:

** Funny how in Wilson's first game against the Reaves-less Blues he did this and broke Jaskins:

People who think there is no intimidation in hockey are beyond delusional. I'm not a small guy (230pds) but there are other guys that scare the crap out of me, on and off the ice. I used to be a great hitter when I was a young guy in northern Canada but I would go from blowing guys up to just finishing my checks if I knew I had to fight certain guys as a result. Maybe it's just me and I'm a sissy but I suspect I'm not the only one.

Every comment in this post is on point. If you’ve played sports after the age of 15, at any level, I cannot fathom not understanding that intimidation is a factor.

I’ll concede that the effect that intimidation has is entirely unquantifiable, but it exists.

I was fortunate enough to play fast pitch softball at a very high level for a few seasons when I was in my 20’s.

The first year or two there was a team that was a heated rival. I’m talking 4-5 brushback pitches, a game, hard take out slides at 2nd base, catchers (me) getting bowled over....the whole 9 yards. The other team pretty much had their way with us.

Season 3 we grabbed a couple of guys from one of the lesser teams. One was a pitcher who was huge and threw hard, the other was a first baseman who was intimidating because he literally never talked to anyone on the other team (except in anger). No chit chat at first base, nothing. Very unfriendly guy, even to some of his teammates.

Those two guys changed the entire dynamic of the rivalry. If we got brushed back, one of their guys took one in the ribs. If our SS got taken out, theirs did too, whether necessary to the play or not. Our whole team, 10 of which we’re exactly the same guys from the first two years played entirely differently because we added two tough guys. Again, this was softball, not the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Your Bang on!!!

That speaks volumes in it self!

If they go after your better players retaliate and go after theirs. Two can play that game. Wison wouldn't fight Chara but he fought Reeves after Reeves was giving Backstrom the business. An eye for an eye!
The problem is its only going to get worse. The words out on the Bruins their soft and they back-down they don't like the rough stuff it takes them off their game.

I remember Rob Ray making the comment. Well it isn't like you go into to Boston and start running rough shot with Cam Neely over there.

That comes from a guy who would drop the gloves with everybody but he respected and feared Neely and the Bruins. I don't want a goon but it would be nice to have a forward who can hit and fight and stick up for his teammates and puts fear into the opposition.
Only 4 teams in the league have more fighting majors - words out!

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Only 4 teams in the league have more fighting majors - words out!

I dont care if we only have one fighting major if its someone whos kicking Wilsons ass after he runs one of the Best players in the world.

The Bruins need a forward who with just his presence on the ice or even knowing he's on the Bench is going to put fear in the opposition. It also helps make your team play bigger and better. It forms a team, look how close that 2011 team was.

Debrusk. Schaller Vatarno, and Belesky coming to the defensive of their teammates when they get smoked is awesome but it isn't going to make someone think twice before it happens again.

I

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
But they weren't the right kind of fights, apparently.
Hmmmm, you're right.... teams are well aware now that if you run a Bruin then a 180pd rookie who can't shave yet like Jake DeBrusk will come after you! Hell, you might even have Schaller come after you and tire you out by hugging onto you for dear life!

Be ye warned, NHL! Do not mess with the Bruins and our tough ass forwards!

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Hmmmm, you're right.... teams are well aware now that if you run a Bruin then a 180pd rookie who can't shave yet like Jake DeBrusk will come after you! Hell, you might even have Schaller come after you and tire you out by hugging onto you for dear life!

*** For the record, this isn't belittling DeBrusk attempting to stand up for a teammate. It isn't about the amount of fights but if you think that the number of fights matter as much as the fighters themselves then you are living in a world where we might as well have kept Hayes for the amount of fights/hugs he gave out last year.

The Penguins only have 5 fights for their entire team (all Reaves) and nobody is running them this year.... should we compare that number to the fights for Jimmy Hayes last year? If we are just comparing the amount of fights then Reaves and Hayes almost bring the same amount of intimidation to a game!!!

Beleskey was all about giving out free hugs this year --does anyone care about that?
Dubinsky loves to go after star players so Kassian went after him a few days ago at the end of the game --kinda cheap but he put him out for 6-8 weeks in a fight.

Are we seriously comparing the "message" sent by DeBrusk or Schaller to that of a legit, nasty forward like Kassian? Because I can tell you that no player in the NHL thinks twice about pissing off DeBrusk or Schaller and many are intimidated by Kassian (he's got a few screws loose as well, which helps).

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
In fairness to Pastrnak --they physically targeted him pretty bad (LA and Anaheim)-- he was likely just happy to come out of those games without going on IR. McDermid could have got called for charging a few times on him.
Also in fairness to Pastrnak he’s been the most productive against Pittsburgh and Washington this year (9pts in 5 games) despite all the dispair about having to face players like Wilson and Reaves.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Well clearly DeBrusk is not scaring anyone at this point in his career. For me the issue is not toughness- we have plenty of it, and I agree it would be great to have a cooler out there instead just a bunch of bouncers, but the issue for me is finding that guy who isn't liability in every other aspect of his game. No thanks to Rinaldo types. I'd rather have Schaller doing his ineffective thing, because it is still a response, than dress a new Ken- Baumgarner or Belanger

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Well clearly DeBrusk is not scaring anyone at this point in his career. For me the issue is not toughness- we have plenty of it, and I agree it would be great to have a cooler out there instead just a bunch of bouncers, but the issue for me is finding that guy who isn't liability in every other aspect of his game. No thanks to Rinaldo types. I'd rather have Schaller doing his ineffective thing, because it is still a response, than dress a new Ken- Baumgarner or Belanger
I hear you, and agree with you but the thing is, why are we only acting like our only 2 options are Tim Schaller OR Ken Belanger? There are plenty of players that are as good or better than Schaller AND can actually hit/fight. When Anderson was holding out and many of us were begging to overpay/trade for him then there was the same typical crowd here calling him (and Wilson) "1 dimensional blah, blah, blah". We are never going to get our own Anderson (12g, 20pts in just 30 games) or Tom Wilson if we never try drafting/trading for a player with that type of size-nastiness combo.

I'm a fan of Sweeney overall, but his complete lack of willingness to address this hole in our roster is troubling to me.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I hear you, and agree with you but the thing is, why are we only acting like our only 2 options are Tim Schaller OR Ken Belanger? There are plenty of players that are as good or better than Schaller AND can actually hit/fight. When Anderson was holding out and many of us were begging to overpay/trade for him then there was the same typical crowd here calling him (and Wilson) "1 dimensional blah, blah, blah". We are never going to get our own Anderson (12g, 20pts in just 30 games) or Tom Wilson if we never try drafting/trading for a player with that type of size-nastiness combo.

I'm a fan of Sweeney overall, but his complete lack of willingness to address this hole in our roster is troubling to me.
Very puzzling considering Neely is there by his side.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I can only speculate that there hasn't been a player they feel deserves a roster spot that could also come at an affordable price. I do think signing Beleskey was an attempt at filling this hole, though he isn't really a fighter. As for the draft, no idea there- they seem to have focused on very specific positional needs to fit a style of play they are trying to build. Has there been anyone in the past three drafts since Sweeney has been in charge that would have fit the bill? I don't honestly know.

At any rate, I'd like to believe the will is there but the right player who fits the team's stylistic needs, and also at the right price, whether salary or asks in a trade, hasn't been available.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

I was hoping big time for Anderson. you can forget it now after the start he's had.

Now I'm hoping some how Sweeney can bring in a A.Watson,Simmonds one of the Folignos,one of the Ritchie's,Stewart or Evander Kane. Looking around the league there isn't to many of these type players around and their pretty coveted.

Nick Ritchie is a guy you might be able to get pretty cheap as he has NHL skill and is one tough cookie.

Reactions: Dr Hook

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I was hoping big time for Anderson. you can forget it now after the start he's had.

Now I'm hoping some how Sweeney can bring in a A.Watson,Simmonds one of the Folignos,one of the Ritchie's,Stewart or Evander Kane. Looking around the league there isn't to many of these type players around and their pretty coveted.

Nick Ritchie is a guy you might be able to get pretty cheap as he has NHL skill and is one tough cookie.
you're not getting any of the above unless it's an overpayment or a situation like Beleskey, where there's no other option available

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I am on the family of those who think the Bruins will need a tougher (one player at least) that can bring a physical and intimidating presence up front. I do think that I miss alot Lucic. Jeez did I like that player.
Looch and that group of players were special. They just seem to always have each other backs. But then again a player like Looch helps to bring that out.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I agree that there's no longer a place for guys like LB, Plett, Kimble, etc. What we need is a power forward with the emphasis on power.

Guys from the not-too-distant past that would be great are a Brad May, Owen Nolan and Chris Neil. Guys that (especially Nolan) could play the game and step up to the plate when needed. Milan Lucic was that guy. Come to think of it, there's not many second tier power forwards like Brad May these days either. Pat Maroon, maybe?

When Mquaid comes back and plays about seven games our defense will be much tougher. Our forwards as a group have to be the softest in the league. That some look to a scrub like Noel Acciari or Tim Schaller to fill those roles simply shows how soft a product some of us are willing to accept. Cassidy seems to have his favorite binky in Schaller which is as troubling as it is Claude-like.

There's guys out there that can fill this need. It's just unfortunate that our GM either loves passive hockey or is too gun-shy to make a real player for player trade. I'm even more amazed that Cam accepts this.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I agree that there's no longer a place for guys like LB, Plett, Kimble, etc. What we need is a power forward with the emphasis on power.

Guys from the not-too-distant past that would be great are a Brad May, Owen Nolan and Chris Neil. Guys that (especially Nolan) could play the game and step up to the plate when needed. Milan Lucic was that guy. Come to think of it, there's not many second tier power forwards like Brad May these days either. Pat Maroon, maybe?

When Mquaid comes back and plays about seven games our defense will be much tougher. Our forwards as a group have to be the softest in the league. That some look to a scrub like Noel Acciari or Tim Schaller to fill those roles simply shows how soft a product some of us are willing to accept. Cassidy seems to have his favorite binky in Schaller which is as troubling as it is Claude-like.

There's guys out there that can fill this need. It's just unfortunate that our GM either loves passive hockey or is too gun-shy to make a real player for player trade. I'm even more amazed that Cam accepts this.

Willi Plett??
Not a chance there will always be a place for Willi tougher than a mother you now what and could put the puck in the net.

It takes two to make a deal. Sweeney no dummy I'm sure he's trying to address this but these type of players are farther and fewer between and when teams have them they aren't so willing to move them.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Lucic is one of my favorite players ever and will always hold a place in my heart but he never stopped anyone from running Savard, Bergeron, Horton, or Eriksson and he was hands down the scariest guy in the league for good while.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Willi Plett??
Not a chance there will always be a place for Willi tougher than a mother you now what and could put the puck in the net.

It takes two to make a deal. Sweeney no dummy I'm sure he's trying to address this but these type of players are farther and fewer between and when teams have them they aren't so willing to move them.
Plett was great and could score as well. As far as his Bruins career, we didn't get much offense. In fact, I think he retired as a Bruin.

The early-mid 80s Calgary Plett was simply outstanding with the gloves on or off.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Lucic is one of my favorite players ever and will always hold a place in my heart but he never stopped anyone from running Savard, Bergeron, Horton, or Eriksson and he was hands down the scariest guy in the league for good while.

Not worth what he gets.Thats why he us gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad