Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And you forgot to mention it was a snakey move akin to offer sheeting an RFA to trade for Jones and then flip him to LA's rival.

I've been trolled mercilessly on here for daring to question Sweeney doing that. But being an NHL GM is sort of an old boys club they all know each other and having good relationships with one another is important. Martin Jones remains by far the best player Sweeney has traded for despite it happening within a couple months of getting the job. And its not even close. Coincidence?
but how many New Englanders know the Kings/Sharks or Ducks prospects, Brad, had they not aligned in Worcester/Portland or Manchester rather than Ontario, CA OR San Diego

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And you forgot to mention it was a snakey move akin to offer sheeting an RFA to trade for Jones and then flip him to LA's rival.

I've been trolled mercilessly on here for daring to question Sweeney doing that. But being an NHL GM is sort of an old boys club they all know each other and having good relationships with one another is important. Martin Jones remains by far the best player Sweeney has traded for despite it happening within a couple months of getting the job. And its not even close. Coincidence?

I can't say you're wrong because I don't know how he's perceived after that trade. I would think a GM that refuses to deal with another may ultimately be letting hubris get in the way over potentially improving his hockey club. There were rumors that Jones was going to be our long term guy but the brass got cold feet after the backlash from Lucic and Hamilton. If LA dealt him thinking that was the case and Sweeney pulled the rug out then yeah that would turn a lot of GMs off and I'm sure that would be a tie breaker on which deal to accept if it's close between a few teams

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

You have been trolled mercilessly? For that? I’m not going to troll you, I just think you are wrong. I had heard from a couple of people I trust that Rask was definitely shopped that draft and I don’t doubt for a second that the original intent was to deal Rask, and not Jones to the Sharks.

Sweeney is a smart guy, I don’t believe he would burn bridges as a new GM by getting Jones from the Kings and immediately flipping him to the rival Sharks. As Lou said, I think that the B’s got cold feet (or maybe SJ did?) because a new GM would have dealt Rask, Lucic, and Hamilton in a couple of days. Apparently, someone decided they didn’t want to do that?

Back to our regularly scheduled debate about if the B’s are tough enough.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not sure about that but I'd rather have Looch over Backes who doesn't even play center.

Extend Lucic, trade Erikkson with a year left on his deal for a similar but lesser return, never sign Beleskey or Backes.

I believe part of the reason they went after Backes was his flexibility to play c or w but he hasn't really played center. I love Backes but if you give me a choice of Lucic and his contract vs Backes and Beleskey and their contracts I take Lucic everyday, even if in 5 years he is a fourth liner making 6m a year.

Reactions: Ladyfan

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This response has to do with Brads post exactly how?
how many follow Providence, Lou.... Worcester or Manchester or Portland no longer play them, and haven't since 2015/16, that's where that comes in.... most of us knew Jones from seeing him in Manchester, when sometimes you don't see the parent club regularly.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
how many follow Providence, Lou.... Worcester or Manchester or Portland no longer play them, and haven't since 2015/16, that's where that comes in.... most of us knew Jones from seeing him in Manchester, when sometimes you don't see the parent club regularly.

Ok...

Your post (and this one) still have nothing to do with Brad's post you replied to...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm responding to folks who actually care, you don't

This is false, but explain it to the people who care...

Wait, let me save you the trouble, you can’t. It’s just another in a long series of posts that make absolutely zero sense to any rational reader. Guy is talking about Martin Jones and you go off on some crazy tangent about AHL franchises and other garbage. While what you say may be true, it usually has little to do with the topic at hand.

The best part is when you get all pissy when people call you out on it :laugh:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
This is false, but explain it to the people who care...

Wait, let me save you the trouble, you can’t. It’s just another in a long series of posts that make absolutely zero sense to any rational reader. Guy is talking about Martin Jones and you go off on some crazy tangent about AHL franchises and other garbage. While what you say may be true, it usually has little to do with the topic at hand.

The best part is when you get all pissy when people call you out on it :laugh:

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
From Globe today about the NCAA sheep:

Noel Acciari is one tough coconut. He took a steaming slapper off the elbow prior to Tim Schaller’s empty-netter that provided the 2-0 lead, and if you watch the video closely, it appears the ex-Providence standout might have said, “Thank you, sir, may I have another.”
While teammates opt to ride stationary bikes after games, Rock Island Acciari pays $100 to have the Zamboni run over him, resurfacing blade lowered.

“That’s Noel, I’ve seen it a million times,” said Cassidy, a tinge of Don Cherry in his voice. “I’ve seen it break his jaw once, unfortunately. And it didn’t faze him at all, did it? It’s just something he brings to the table every night. The appreciation factor that teammates have for plays like that…Schaller is willing to do that, too….you need to have these types of guys in the room. They are just good soldiers It is very much appreciated: the hits he takes, the hits he gives, the shot blocks….all those little things that make up a team of character.”

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
From BSJ today, looks like NCAA guys Scaller, Acciari and Miller have fooled their team mates, coaches and NHL execs into thinking they are tough, thank god some of the folks in here have seen through all that and peg them for the sheep they really are:

Acciari and Miller are so important to the team’s success. It’s their respective approaches to practice and games that has earned them the respect of their teammates. Case in point: Miller is always the first Bruins player to the rink on a daily basis.
On the road, he doesn’t want to be in his hotel room twirling his thumbs. He arrives before the team bus. It’s normally Miller and captain Zdeno Chara as the first ones. Players will arrive at the rink, like Tuesday evening, and walk past Miller as he’s riding the stationary bike. His dedication, focus and work ethic is the first thing his teammates see before they walk into the locker room. Then, to see it translate into his game brings out the best in everyone else.
“Yeah, absolutely,” said veteran David Backes. “Millsey’s big hit set the tone, he’s challenged to a fight and he answers the bell. He’s been a solid force for us. . . He plays the game like a man. He’s a man’s man. He definitely gave us a little boost in the first.”
It’s those types of plays from Acciari and Miller that help build a team’s character and identity. Kevan Miller and Noel Acciari are keeping the Bruins legacy alive and well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Noel Acciari is one tough coconut. He took a steaming slapper off the elbow prior to Tim Schaller’s empty-netter that provided the 2-0 lead, and if you watch the video closely, it appears the ex-Providence standout might have said, “Thank you, sir, may I have another.”
While teammates opt to ride stationary bikes after games, Rock Island Acciari pays $100 to have the Zamboni run over him, resurfacing blade lowered.

“That’s Noel, I’ve seen it a million times,” said Cassidy, a tinge of Don Cherry in his voice. “I’ve seen it break his jaw once, unfortunately. And it didn’t faze him at all, did it? It’s just something he brings to the table every night. The appreciation factor that teammates have for plays like that…Schaller is willing to do that, too….you need to have these types of guys in the room. They are just good soldiers It is very much appreciated: the hits he takes, the hits he gives, the shot blocks….all those little things that make up a team of character.”

Love the tinge of Don Cherry.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
From BSJ today, looks like NCAA guys Scaller, Acciari and Miller have fooled their team mates, coaches and NHL execs into thinking they are tough, thank god some of the folks in here have seen through all that and peg them for the sheep they really are:

Acciari and Miller are so important to the team’s success. It’s their respective approaches to practice and games that has earned them the respect of their teammates. Case in point: Miller is always the first Bruins player to the rink on a daily basis.
On the road, he doesn’t want to be in his hotel room twirling his thumbs. He arrives before the team bus. It’s normally Miller and captain Zdeno Chara as the first ones. Players will arrive at the rink, like Tuesday evening, and walk past Miller as he’s riding the stationary bike. His dedication, focus and work ethic is the first thing his teammates see before they walk into the locker room. Then, to see it translate into his game brings out the best in everyone else.
“Yeah, absolutely,” said veteran David Backes. “Millsey’s big hit set the tone, he’s challenged to a fight and he answers the bell. He’s been a solid force for us. . . He plays the game like a man. He’s a man’s man. He definitely gave us a little boost in the first.”
It’s those types of plays from Acciari and Miller that help build a team’s character and identity. Kevan Miller and Noel Acciari are keeping the Bruins legacy alive and well.

Great post.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

When you are looking to Noel Accari and Tim Schaller for toughness you are the definition of sheep in wolves clothing (I loved Accari's block at the end of the game, it's what any fourth line player should be expected to do)

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
When you are looking to Noel Accari and Tim Schaller for toughness you are the definition of sheep in wolves clothing (I loved Accari's block at the end of the game, it's what any fourth line player should be expected to do)

I've played different sports against guys with a build similar to Acciari and it is no fun. They bruise the crap out of you and with that low center of gravity you can't budge them. It's like pushing a boulder up a hill.

I agree the Bruins need more toughness up front, but Acciari definitely provides toughness himself.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't really have a problem with Accari, I would like a much more consistent physical game. If you build a fourth line around Kuraly and Accari or Nash and Accari with a much more physical and larger opposite winger I would be happy with that.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't really have a problem with Accari, I would like a much more consistent physical game. If you build a fourth line around Kuraly and Accari or Nash and Accari with a much more physical and larger opposite winger I would be happy with that.

Need to find one, and that's not easy. Personally not a huge Schaller guy so I'm all for getting a better replacement on that left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad