Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Vs Boston Bruins 72 games 9 goals 7 assists 16 points 200 pim

Schaller Career stats 122 games 12 goals 14 assists 26points 36pim
Kuraly Career 36 games 3 goals 4 assists 7 points 18pim

I can clearly see how these two players are far superior to Chris Neil, and the leadership and other intangibles they bring are off the charts:sarcasm:

I'd say those two players are far superior to a 38 year old Neil, especially considering their careers are just starting and his is over....

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'd say those two players are far superior to a 38 year old Neil, especially considering their careers are just starting and his is over....

I wasn't just talking about this year, the OP's argument was Neil was never more than a one dimensional player my retort was we have a few of those ourselves. Schaller is what he is, this is his fifth pro season, he is 27, I think we have seen his best. Kuraly has been a disappointment this season but I hope he can become a gritty fourth line center, his playoffs and end of last season was very good, he hasn't been the same layer this year.

I also don't really dislike either of those players, classic JAGs on your fourth line, I would prefer a young Chris Neil to either because you could use him on your third line or fourth line and he never hurt his team defensively.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Tired of seeing our skilled forwards get roughed up after the play and the other teams' forwards are free to park in front of the Bruins net for tap-ins.

McQuaid can't come back soon enough for me....but I think they need some kind of a policeman in the forward group. Enough is enough.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Tired of seeing our skilled forwards get roughed up after the play and the other teams' forwards are free to park in front of the Bruins net for tap-ins.

McQuaid can't come back soon enough for me....but I think they need some kind of a policeman in the forward group. Enough is enough.

You don't like Marchand being targeted every shift? As much as I want, and feel they need, a bottom six fighter/banger they also need a top 6 forward that will be physical and provide some type of presence on either Kreji's or Bergeron's line.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

A young Chris Neil would be perfect!

Reactions: sarge88 and C77

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
You don't like Marchand being targeted every shift? As much as I want, and feel they need, a bottom six fighter/banger they also need a top 6 forward that will be physical and provide some type of presence on either Kreji's or Bergeron's line.

Yes they need someone that can send a message and skirt the line but play meaningful minutes. Someone that the other team's defense knows will run them through a wall on the forecheck (or hit in open ice) if they mess around with the skilled forwards.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I wasn't just talking about this year, the OP's argument was Neil was never more than a one dimensional player my retort was we have a few of those ourselves. Schaller is what he is, this is his fifth pro season, he is 27, I think we have seen his best. Kuraly has been a disappointment this season but I hope he can become a gritty fourth line center, his playoffs and end of last season was very good, he hasn't been the same layer this year.

I also don't really dislike either of those players, classic JAGs on your fourth line, I would prefer a young Chris Neil to either because you could use him on your third line or fourth line and he never hurt his team defensively.
Ah my bad, you're correct then, Neil was more than capable of actually playing the game of hockey not just fighting and hitting. He even spent some time up the line up if needed as he was a presence in front of the net.

I'd love a guy like him on the 4th line, because he could actually play hockey....not many like him left though. Maybe Blidh or Acciari could develop into him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe Blidh or Acciari could develop into him.

I like Noel, but he seems to have some stone hands. Blidh on the other hand, he showed flashes of some offensive talent- in particular it looked like he had a decent wrist shot from limited viewings of him. I wonder what our PBruins regular viewers think of his potential to become a Neil type?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
They can't fight. They're both more along the lines of agitators than anything. Still, definitely two guys I'd like on the 4th line, but yeah... they can't fight at all.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
They can't fight. They're both more along the lines of agitators than anything. Still, definitely two guys I'd like on the 4th line, but yeah... they can't fight at all.

Can't or won't? I guess it amounts to the same thing though. Gabrielle is a kid that might have some Neil like promise, he is also more along the agitator line but I think he dropped them a few times in junior

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Some of the rookies last night all looked a little intimidated by the Caps. Make no mistake about it, this is a big part of the game. Obviously I am not talking a stone handed goon, but you need guys that can play and also handle the rough stuff. I think Kuraly, Schaller, Accari all play hard, but you can definitely tell they want nothing to do with after the whistle skirmishes. Schaller I believe fought earlier in the year, but I think that was more to try to fit in with the team than actual be a bruising presence. They need a little more teeth and wag in their tails to contend with teams that like to bully a bit. That's what made the Bruins great during the cup runs. They had talent, but also the ability to bully their way to victory if needed. They all bought into that identity. You can see the left over guys like Chara, Mcquaid, Miller, Marchy that thrive under that condition and try to bring it back. Unfortunately the make up of the team has changed and they have lost that bully by committee mantle which is why they still really haven't found a true identity yet. Hopefully they figure it out, but I'll continue to watch and note how they handle the rougher teams in the league. Sometimes you need to be the aggressor right off the bat. The Bruins lately only semi rise to rough stuff and they are never the initiator of it anymore.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Some of the rookies last night all looked a little intimidated by the Caps. Make no mistake about it, this is a big part of the game. Obviously I am not talking a stone handed goon, but you need guys that can play and also handle the rough stuff. I think Kuraly, Schaller, Accari all play hard, but you can definitely tell they want nothing to do with after the whistle skirmishes. Schaller I believe fought earlier in the year, but I think that was more to try to fit in with the team than actual be a bruising presence. They need a little more teeth and wag in their tails to contend with teams that like to bully a bit. That's what made the Bruins great during the cup runs. They had talent, but also the ability to bully their way to victory if needed. They all bought into that identity. You can see the left over guys like Chara, Mcquaid, Miller, Marchy that thrive under that condition and try to bring it back. Unfortunately the make up of the team has changed and they have lost that bully by committee mantle which is why they still really haven't found a true identity yet. Hopefully they figure it out, but I'll continue to watch and note how they handle the rougher teams in the league. Sometimes you need to be the aggressor right off the bat. The Bruins lately only semi rise to rough stuff and they are never the initiator of it anymore.

Im a big Kuraly fan hes 100% effort all the time with speed and aggression, the other two not real big fans of, although Accari can lay out some big hits at times.

I'm a big advocate of bringing in a Nick Ritchie type someone who can play the game a little and is always going to have their teammates back (Helping them play bigger) and will put fear into the opposition. I think they have their identity as a fast high octane skilled team but they need some grit and toughness along the way they cant be all speed, they need an O'Reilly, thats Terry someone who can play the game and change the momentum in the bruins favor when some like Wilson gets running around and taking cheap shots at are better players. That type of player will stop it more times than not before it happens. But most importantly it will make the rest of the Bruins play bigger because they know someone has their back.

Just look at what Chris Neil meant to the Senators just last yr alone in the playoffs when Glass was running around and hitting every senator insight before and after the whistle. Neil dresses Glass disappears and the senators win and Play Big!

Reactions: mar2kbos

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Can't or won't? I guess it amounts to the same thing though. Gabrielle is a kid that might have some Neil like promise, he is also more along the agitator line but I think he dropped them a few times in junior
They're both terrible fighters from what i know and have seen. Blidh has only fought 3 times in his playing career, and Accairi has only fought 3 times as well (He fought McIlrath though which is hilarious) - We could kind of guess how that one went.

Up front in their forward group, they literally have no one who poses any threat in a fight, or physical play in general.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
It's great that Marchand is willing to stand up for himself, not great that he needs to so often. He was inches from Tom Wilson ending him with his helmetless head going into the boards last night. You can't afford to lose him for any length of time and it's clear the league won't protect him the way they do other stars.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Agreed.

And if we get an enforcer who plays forward its not like he'll play in the playoffs we'll put in Kuraly or Acciari instead.

Whats the most pathetic part of this isn't the fact we don't have a solid middleweight/light heavy at forward and haven't for years... its that when we addressed this problem we gave up a 3rd for friggen Rinaldo and the NHL pretty much banned him from playing for us within a dozen games or so.

We probably blow Washington out last night if we have a heavyweight in the lineup specifically to feed Tom Wilson his teeth at some point in the first period and jack up the crowd.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
i'm on board with the team getting tougher, just remove schaller and replace him with a guy of similar talent
that can chuck em. doesn't seem to be terribly hard, schaller is a hard worker and has a good frame, but he's
slow and easily replaceable.
It's more about team toughness as Marchand and others have shown. These tough teams like Washington find ways to lose out every year. Even with Holtby.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
It's great that Marchand is willing to stand up for himself, not great that he needs to so often. He was inches from Tom Wilson ending him with his helmetless head going into the boards last night. You can't afford to lose him for any length of time and it's clear the league won't protect him the way they do other stars.

Agree 100% here. Orpik practically bodyslammed Marchand (with no penalty call) before the run in with Orlov. A message needs to be sent because Marchand is not going to last very long at this rate. He is on pace for 90+ points this year and the Bruins are letting him get hit high without retaliating? Why didn't anyone line up Backstrom or Kuznetsov when they carried the puck? At least crosscheck the crap out of them and get your 2 minutes worth.

And note how Pastrnak has played against the big, physical California teams. 0 points in 5 games.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
And note how Pastrnak has played against the big, physical California teams. 0 points in 5 games.
In fairness to Pastrnak --they physically targeted him pretty bad (LA and Anaheim)-- he was likely just happy to come out of those games without going on IR. McDermid could have got called for charging a few times on him.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
It would have been fitting if Wilson tackling Marchand ended Marchand's season as Wilson gave him a concussion earlier in the season as well. Wilson also took Marchand off for 10-10 misconducts at the end of the game.

Marchand is clearly frustrated with how he has been targeted this year; risking breaking a hand fighting Orlov is a clear sign of that. The refs will NEVER give him the benefit of the doubt and other teams see they can cross the line with him.
Do you notice at the end of this scrum, "Killer" is standing next to Wilson with the gentle hug?

I repeat the question: which Caps star was targeted in the same way that Marchand was last night?

BTW: It was really interesting to watch the game and see how well behaved Wilson was against the Pens earlier this year! He's usually extra nasty against them but I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with this in the back of his mind:

** Funny how in Wilson's first game against the Reaves-less Blues he did this and broke Jaskins:

People who think there is no intimidation in hockey are beyond delusional. I'm not a small guy (230pds) but there are other guys that scare the crap out of me, on and off the ice. I used to be a great hitter when I was a young guy in northern Canada but I would go from blowing guys up to just finishing my checks if I knew I had to fight certain guys as a result. Maybe it's just me and I'm a sissy but I suspect I'm not the only one.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
It would have been fitting if Wilson tackling Marchand ended Marchand's season as Wilson gave him a concussion earlier in the season as well. Wilson also took Marchand off for 10-10 misconducts at the end of the game.

Marchand is clearly frustrated with how he has been targeted this year; risking breaking a hand fighting Orlov is a clear sign of that. The refs will NEVER give him the benefit of the doubt and other teams see they can cross the line with him.
Do you notice at the end of this scrum, "Killer" is standing next to Wilson with the gentle hug?

I repeat the question: which Caps star was targeted in the same way that Marchand was last night?

BTW: It was really interesting to watch the game and see how well behaved Wilson was against the Pens earlier this year! He's usually extra nasty against them but I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with this in the back of his mind:

** Funny how in Wilson's first game against the Reaves-less Blues he did this and broke Jaskins:

People who think there is no intimidation in hockey are beyond delusional. I'm not a small guy (230pds) but there are other guys that scare the crap out of me, on and off the ice. I used to be a great hitter when I was a young guy in northern Canada but I would go from blowing guys up to just finishing my checks if I knew I had to fight certain guys as a result. Maybe it's just me and I'm a sissy but I suspect I'm not the only one.

This why Id much rather have McQuaid in the line-up full time over Miller.(when Mcquaid returns) McQuaid would of been kickin some @$$!

The difference between the two isn't a lot and McQuaid is always there for his teammates what is immeasurable.

Imagine if that had happen with the 2011 Cup team. They would of been knocking each other over trying to get a chance to tear into Wilson. Its not just about fighting its about sticking up for one another showing your teammate you've got his back no-matter what and that you care for him!

If Marchands head hits the Boards he could of been out for the season, hopefully Sweeney address this issue. Miller can not be standing there with a gentle hug to the player who just blindside your best player and easily could of ended his season if not his career!

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
If they don't think it happens they should watch how Acciari disappears.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I will try to find the article but I read Marchand talking a few weeks back about getting tired of being railed out on the ice. Thats a big deal and now we see one of our biggest stars having to take matters into his own hands. The result will only be time off the ice one way or another. The sooner McQuaid laces em up the better.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Agree 100% here. Orpik practically bodyslammed Marchand (with no penalty call) before the run in with Orlov. A message needs to be sent because Marchand is not going to last very long at this rate. He is on pace for 90+ points this year and the Bruins are letting him get hit high without retaliating? Why didn't anyone line up Backstrom or Kuznetsov when they carried the puck? At least crosscheck the crap out of them and get your 2 minutes worth.

Your Bang on!!!

That speaks volumes in it self!

If they go after your better players retaliate and go after theirs. Two can play that game. Wison wouldn't fight Chara but he fought Reeves after Reeves was giving Backstrom the business. An eye for an eye!
The problem is its only going to get worse. The words out on the Bruins their soft and they back-down they don't like the rough stuff it takes them off their game.

I remember Rob Ray making the comment. Well it isn't like you go into to Boston and start running rough shot with Cam Neely over there.

That comes from a guy who would drop the gloves with everybody but he respected and feared Neely and the Bruins. I don't want a goon but it would be nice to have a forward who can hit and fight and stick up for his teammates and puts fear into the opposition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille