Proposal: Drasaitil and Larsson for Marner +

Status
Not open for further replies.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I'll never understand Leafs and Oilers fans mocking each other. It really is bizarre when there's nothing to brag about.
True. But you must admit leaf fans over rating of Marner is offensive. It's also terribly unfair to him. How can anyone succeed with those kinds of expectations.

Don't they care that they could ruin him? I thought the Kadri hype was bad and counter productive, but this is way worse...

I respect Nazem, since he survived it and has thrived since. Hopefully Marner will too but I find it to be incredibly risky to put that kind of pressure on a kid. I get it Pressure can create Diamonds, but not everyone is strong enough to withstand that.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Would you take Draisaitl for Marner + Rielly? Of course not. This is the equivalent for Edmonton.

In fact, Draisaitl is quite easily the best player in the deal. If there's a "+" anywhere, it's on Toronto's side.

Perhaps the most insulting part of this deal for Edmonton is all extra parts for Larsson. Your proposal is almost rooted in the idea that Edmonton is trying to rebuild which is ludicrous. Like Toronto, they plan on competing. So trading their top pairing defencemen for lesser parts is atrocious.

So bad on so many levels for Edmonton.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hot take here.. I suppose the Leafs wouldn't trade Marner for McDavid either since he's "not in their long term plans"?

Uh.........Drasaitil is NOT McDavid..............Is he?

Yes, for McDavid, they would probably make an exception. For someone who is pretty close to what they're giving up.....not likely.

:)

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
True. But you must admit leaf fans over rating of Marner is offensive. It's also terribly unfair to him. How can anyone succeed with those kinds of expectations.

LMAO. After being our best player on the Leafs for the second half of the season, Marner has 8 points in 6 games in the Boston series and has emerged as one of the best players on either team out there.

"Overrating".

Too funny.

Reactions: Vancouver Canucks

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I fail to see how this isn’t just another troll post. That’s 2 I’ve seen in 2 days. It’s no wonder I left the boards for 4 years. I’m back and nothing’s changed it seems. Shame.
Maybe you didn't leave long enough

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
LMAO. After being our best player on the Leafs for the second half of the season, Marner has 8 points in 6 games in the Boston series and has emerged as one of the best players on either team out there.

"Overrating".

Too funny.

Go ahead and have a look at Leon Draisaitl’s playoff stats...

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Go ahead and have a look at Leon Draisaitl’s playoff stats...

I never said that Drasaitl wasn't very good so I'm not sure what your point is. I am only talking about Marner and the SILLY comment about how badly Leaf fans are overrating him. We are NOT overrating the kid..........he's actually ALSO very good and is, in fact, one of the best RW's in the NHL at the ripe old age of 20.

I never once said that Marner > Drasaitl either.

I said that the Leafs likely wouldn't do that trade because Marner is one of their main guys and they have long-plans for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I never said that Drasaitl wasn't very good so I'm not sure what your point is. I am only talking about Marner and the SILLY comment about how badly Leaf fans are overrating him. We are NOT overrating the kid..........he's actually ALSO very good and is, in fact, one of the best RW's in the NHL at the ripe old age of 20.

I never once said that Marner > Drasaitl either.

I said that the Leafs likely wouldn't do that trade because Marner is one of their main guys and they have long-plans for him.

Spectacular. So I’m sure you’d be fine in saying that even if Marner is a ‘key guy’ for you, OP’s value is wildly in Toronto’s favour?

Edmonton’s giving up two key guys for Marner and garbage.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Spectacular. So I’m sure you’d be fine in saying that even if Marner is a ‘key guy’ for you, OP’s value is wildly in Toronto’s favour?

Edmonton’s giving up two key guys for Marner and garbage.

LOL. Yes, I think it's a garbage proposal. Feel better?

Marner for Drasaitl doesn't make sense for the Leafs, and Larsson for garbage doesn't make sense for the Oilers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Marner >>>>>>>>>>> Draisaitl

Thread/

Note to Edmonton fans, you are NOT, I repeat NOT getting Marner.

Ok, don't be ridiculous. Even if you think Marner>Draisaitl, there is no way you can justify that many arrows.

Oh, and we aren't trying to get Marner. We don't want him at the cost that Leaf fans would want for him, and we're happier with Draisaitl anyway.

Jan 21, 2018
LOL put Marner on McDavid's wing and Draisaitl with Marleau and Plekanec and let me know how your evaluation of the two players change.

Typical HFBoards just look at the stat sheet and use that to determine player value. When in reality Drai has the best NHL player in the league as his Center, and Marner has a turtleneck feeding him passes.

When you factor in Marner's new contract which I can't see being more than 6.5M regardless of term, he's going to be at least 2M cheaper for similar skill.

Now if Drai could ever learn how to carry his own line and played as a C, then yes I would agree it's not even close and Drai is on a completely different tier than Marner.

But for now they are both high end wingers and the advantage goes to Marner especially when you factor in how much Chiarelli is hurting Drai's value.

Mar 26, 2010
Ok, don't be ridiculous. Even if you think Marner>Draisaitl, there is no way you can justify that many arrows.

Oh, and we aren't trying to get Marner. We don't want him at the cost that Leaf fans would want for him, and we're happier with Draisaitl anyway.
Great. :thumbu:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
LOL put Marner on McDavid's wing and Draisaitl with Marleau and Plekanec and let me know how your evaluation of the two players change.

Typical HFBoards just look at the stat sheet and use that to determine player value. When in reality Drai has the best NHL player in the league as his Center, and Marner has a turtleneck feeding him passes.

When you factor in Marner's new contract which I can't see being more than 6.5M regardless of term, he's going to be at least 2M cheaper for similar skill.

Now if Drai could ever learn how to carry his own line and played as a C, then yes I would agree it's not even close and Drai is on a completely different tier than Marner.

But for now they are both high end wingers and the advantage goes to Marner especially when you factor in how much Chiarelli is hurting Drai's value.
Considering that we just saw half a season roughly of Draisaitl dragging around Lucic and Cammalleri and it hasn't swayed our evaluation of him, I don't think this post holds much water. You saying Marner is going to sign for 6.5 is just as relevant as someone saying he's going to demand 10 - there is no fact there, just opinion.

Drai does just fine as a C on his own - to say otherwise shows your ignorance.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

Don't they care that they could ruin him? I thought the Kadri hype was bad and counter productive, but this is way worse...

I respect Nazem, since he survived it and has thrived since. Hopefully Marner will too but I find it to be incredibly risky to put that kind of pressure on a kid. I get it Pressure can create Diamonds, but not everyone is strong enough to withstand that.

Yikes. Nazem survived what? He was a decent pick, almost ruined his own career by letting Lupul influence him. He wasn't reading HF going ''oh jeez, im really good but I don't know if I can live up to crosbydangles420xxxx's expectations on hf''

Marner is not overrated, if anything he has been underrated. His father talked about how he always was in MacD shadow his whole life and how MacD got all the attention when Mitch was just as good. I firmly believe the difference between Mitch and Connor skill wise is not as far off as some want. The issue with mitch is he was small, like really small, like really really small. Scrawny small, he fought through it. Connor has never had to fight through anything (except tears when the lottery was announced)

The Oilers leafs hate is this, leafs fans are pissed Edmonton keeps getting Num 1 picks and squandering them. We wanted connor and he wanted us. Buffalo west got him. Then we got a generational talent and a teenager who scored 40 and imo is on the same tier as Mac, different skill set but same tier, franchise generational centers. 30 points or 25 points difference or even forty does not matter as they hold the SAME value to their teams. Then the Oil and WPG (that's a whole other pile of shit) were so butt hurt as no one expected Auston to be as good as he was so the whole ''AINEC'' crowd showed up, if you never saw either play you would think Auston was a third line plug The oilers fans have this insecurity (probably because they are the Buffalo of canada) that for some reason everyone hates them. I think its just lottery guilt and feel the need to flaunt MacD in everyone's face as if they are something special.

Bottom line is TOR, EDM, WPG,MTL all have putrid fan bases, esp on HF boards where second round picks hold more value than the stanly cup

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Marner >>>>>>>>>>> Draisaitl

Thread/

Note to Edmonton fans, you are NOT, I repeat NOT getting Marner.

A bunch of >>>> doesn’t replace facts. Spin it however you want to, Draisaitl is bigger, plays a more important position, and has better results thus far. You like intangibles? Draisaitl is a great faceoff man. You like versatility? Drai is comfortable on the wing or on C. You like all situations play? Drai is effective at 5 on 5, PP, and PK when our special teams coaches aren’t idiots.

Now: Is he overpaid? Sure, probably a little, but you’d better hope Marner isn’t as good as Leaf fans think. I laugh when I see Toronto fans pump Marner and Matthews tires to no end but then turn around and expect them to sign ridiculously team friendly deals.

Marner’s amazing! So good! Best young talent in the league! He’s also gonna sign way under market value - 8 years 6 mil! Matthews 8x8! Nylander 8x5.5! Never going to happen, kids. You’re looking at 22-25 million for the three long term.

Would we like Marner? Sure. He’s a very good player. Would I give up Draisaitl to get him? f*** no. Would I give up Draisaitl and Larsson to get Marner and trash? Again, f*** no.

Last edited:

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Yikes. Nazem survived what? He was a decent pick, almost ruined his own career by letting Lupul influence him. He wasn't reading HF going ''oh jeez, im really good but I don't know if I can live up to crosbydangles420xxxx's expectations on hf''

Marner is not overrated, if anything he has been underrated. His father talked about how he always was in MacD shadow his whole life and how MacD got all the attention when Mitch was just as good. I firmly believe the difference between Mitch and Connor skill wise is not as far off as some want. The issue with mitch is he was small, like really small, like really really small. Scrawny small, he fought through it. Connor has never had to fight through anything (except tears when the lottery was announced)

The Oilers leafs hate is this, leafs fans are pissed Edmonton keeps getting Num 1 picks and squandering them. We wanted connor and he wanted us. Buffalo west got him. Then we got a generational talent and a teenager who scored 40 and imo is on the same tier as Mac, different skill set but same tier, franchise generational centers. 30 points or 25 points difference or even forty does not matter as they hold the SAME value to their teams anyways, The oilers fans have this insecurity (probably because they are the Buffalo of canada) that for some reason everyone hates them. I think its just lottery guilt and feel the need to flaunt MacD in everyone's face as if they are something special.

Bottom line is TOR, EDM, WPG,MTL all have putrid fan bases, esp on HF boards where second round picks hold more value than the stanly cup
LOL Marner scores a goal against the Bruins and now he's on Connor's level. I know you're on a high right now cuz the Leafs tied the series but get a clue. The Leafs would trade Matthews AND Marner plus to get their hands on McDavid.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
LOL Marner scores a goal against the Bruins and now he's on Connor's level. I know you're on a high right now cuz the Leafs tied the series but get a clue. The Leafs would trade Matthews AND Marner plus to get their hands on McDavid.

Actually we wouldn't. we are in a cup process. Connor is great but the sadness that kid has looming over him is something we don't need to spend time trying to fix. Poor kid.
Never said he was as good, I said all their lives they were similar and their skill is similar. Its not linear , facepalm, dont expect you to understand AINEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad