Proposal: Drasaitil and Larsson for Marner +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The only thing worse than trading Hall for Larsson, would be to trade Larsson away for an even lesser valuable winger, and adding the best player in the deal in Draisaitl to boot. Hall and Draisaitl for Marner... come on...

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
You said Oiler fans are overrating him. Literally all that has been said was he’s worth much more than what’s been offered. That he can play as a #2 or a very good #3 on either of our teams. That he’s not available for what Leafs fans would pay. What of any of that is overrating him?

Edmonton won’t deal him because they need him. Toronto won’t deal FOR him because they seemingly wouldn’t give up anything of value, but anyone that is the tiniest bit objective knows that the OP is an absolute ripoff of the Oilers. The Hall deal was better than that crap-sack.

The two posts I was referring to were the one I quoted and your earlier post claiming he is probably a 2 on the leafs. Both are overrating him.

I'm aware your top pair RHD would be Kris Russell with Larsson gone and that is barely acceptable for an AHL team. That's why I said in my first post "will say this deal is bad for the oilers tho"

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So bad in fact that as their 2nd best defenseman he dragged the Leafs all the way down to 11th overall in GA and unfortunately made the playoffs. Wouldve been spectacular to have Larsson help us to 24th overall in GA and another lottery pick.

And just five posts above your complaining about someone not providing context to Marner. Jesus. Yep, Gardiner is the reason the leafs are in the playoffs and not 24th overall, dragging everyone. Lol hypocrite.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
And just five posts above your complaining about someone not providing context to Marner. Jesus. Yep, Gardiner is the reason the leafs are in the playoffs and not 24th overall, dragging everyone. Lol hypocrite.

Literally was being difficult because the person I quoted was. I dont actually believe that.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
:edmonton
Marner, Mitchell ($894,167)
Bracco, Jeremy ($842,500)
Nielsen, Andrew ($697,500)
Martin, Matt ($2,500,000)

:leafs
Draisaitl, Leon ($8,500,000)
Larsson, Adam ($4,166,667)

Oilers get the top line RW for McDavid and a tough guy who can help on the 4th line plus some good prospects to help there cap problems and the Leafs get a good 2nd line center who can play 1st line if Matthews gets hurt plus a good shutdown defender to help play with Rielly

Thoughts?
I say leafs fans know their season is over so the trolls are coming out.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Oiler fans dont realize trades arent made in a vacuum. Yes, the value heavily favours the Leafs, but no it doesnt make sense for them and they arent a better team because of it. Replacing Marner with Draistail is net neutral. Draisaitl would likely play wing, and would provide not much more offensively or defensively than Marner already is.

Adding Larsson doesnt drastically improve our D, just gives us more of the same. A top 4 built on 3 #4s isnt strong enough to contend. With that said, this trade also adds 13 million in salary long term. I rather keep Marner and use that money towards one of the 4 big name FA D (Karlsson, Doughty, McDonagh, OEL) if any of them so happen to make it.

and this trade does make the leafs better. Even using a net neutral valuation being used for Draisatl and Marner...you add a legit top 4 dman (who would be your best RHD, he is significantly better than Hainsey though I could see keeping Hainsey with Reilly on a top pairing because of how well that pairing works) for the cost of 2 meh prospects and Matt Martin (a cap dump)

secondly, its not $13 Million long term, its $9.5 M next year (13 less 3.5 (Matt Martins contract plus $1 M for Marners last ELC year)) long term you then need to include Marners 6 million plus extension bringing it to ~$4 m long term. So now you have to see if Draisatl/Larsson at $13 M is a better long term value than Marner/big 4 at $16 M plus

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This trade isn’t as crazy as it seems. Are we forgetting that Chiarelli is the oilers GM?

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005

Oilers get the top line RW for McDavid and a tough guy who can help on the 4th line plus some good prospects to help there cap problems and the Leafs get a good 2nd line center who can play 1st line if Matthews gets hurt plus a good shutdown defender to help play with Rielly

Thoughts?

Is this a joke?

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
and this trade does make the leafs better. Even using a net neutral valuation being used for Draisatl and Marner...you add a legit top 4 dman (who would be your best RHD, he is significantly better than Hainsey though I could see keeping Hainsey with Reilly on a top pairing because of how well that pairing works) for the cost of 2 meh prospects and Matt Martin (a cap dump)

secondly, its not $13 Million long term, its $9.5 M next year (13 less 3.5 (Matt Martins contract plus $1 M for Marners last ELC year)) long term you then need to include Marners 6 million plus extension bringing it to ~$4 m long term. So now you have to see if Draisatl/Larsson at $13 M is a better long term value than Marner/big 4 at $16 M plus

Yes Larsson is an upgrade on what we currently have, but not the significant upgrade we currently need. Committing another 4 million to a D that isnt the D we need takes 4 million away from getting that D. It's the difference between being able to offer OEL 4 vs. 8.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Thoughts?
DDBkPBu.gif

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Where is the +? It says marner +. That collection of + is more of a -

Jan 21, 2018
The only thing worse than trading Hall for Larsson, would be to trade Larsson away for an even lesser valuable winger, and adding the best player in the deal in Draisaitl to boot. Hall and Draisaitl for Marner... come on...

What awful logic. So you wouldn't trade Larsson for anyone less valuable than Hall because your GM is terrible and gave away the Hart winner for a 20pt top4D?

Chiarelli would drive Larsson to the airport himself and tell him never to step foot back in Edmonton if it meant getting Marner.

This is no different than Habs fans thinking Weber is worth Nylander. You're too proud to admit your GM made a terrible trade so you expect the return on that player to be worth closer to the elite player you gave up than the average return you actually got.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yes, context has no barring on anything.

Draisaitl, the big strong two-way C, played 62% of his shifts with Connor McDavid. Marner? 60% were either with Bozak or Kadri, who while decent are no where near McDavid. Now giving Marner the benefit of the doubt here, I'm going to go ahead and guess that that 1 dimensional winger would likely have scored 1 extra point on McDavids wing to match Draistial's 70 point season and reach your randomly arbitrary plateau.

That supposed one way winger, who is so significantly worse offensively than 1 point more Draisaitl, also played the majority of the 2nd half on a shutdown line and was highly effective as a defensive player. Funny enough, that coincides with the point at which he was off the 4th line and started to tear it up offensively.

To be fair, I'm of the opinion that equal talent C vs W should always go to the C and while Draisiatl hasnt played C full time yet, he has proven capable at the NHL level. But whatever difference in value that adds is negated for now as Marner is still on an ELC for another year while Draistail is making 8.5 mill.

So yes, a wash.

Like I said, you can go ahead and make up whatever kind of story you want to try and play along with your narrative.

You're not going to convince anyone outside of Leaf land that your story is anywhere close to true. Until Marner goes out and puts up back 2 back seasons like what Draisaitl has done, it's not anywhere close to a wash.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
What awful logic. So you wouldn't trade Larsson for anyone less valuable than Hall because your GM is terrible and gave away the Hart winner for a 20pt top4D?

Chiarelli would drive Larsson to the airport himself and tell him never to step foot back in Edmonton if it meant getting Marner.

This is no different than Habs fans thinking Weber is worth Nylander. You're too proud to admit your GM made a terrible trade so you expect the return on that player to be worth closer to the elite player you gave up than the average return you actually got.

Except this proposal isn't trading larsson for marner. We are trading draisaitl for marner. And larsson for trash....

What do you think nylander is worth? It's easy to point the fingers at others and tell them to be reasonable when you aren't sticking your neck out to make a counter offer.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Where is the +? It says marner +. That collection of + is more of a -

The rest of the stuff coming from Toronto isn’t even worth naming, apparently.

I knew this would be bad when there were two major pieces of the Oilers and ‘Marner+’ listed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Your logic is totally broken here. Edmonton isn’t trading Larsson for Marner, we’re trading Drai for Marner - which is in and of itself a loss for Edmonton - and then the trade equivalent of tying Larsson’s ankles to cinderblocks and pushing him into the North Saskatchewan.

Absolutely anyone will tell you Hall for Larsson was a bad deal. OP’s trade is worse. It’s a long way worse.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Like I said, you can go ahead and make up whatever kind of story you want to try and play along with your narrative.

You're not going to convince anyone outside of Leaf land that your story is anywhere close to true. Until Marner goes out and puts up back 2 back seasons like what Draisaitl has done, it's not anywhere close to a wash.

Marner's season was almost identical to Draisaitl's season :huh: Despite being a year and a half younger and not playing with the best player in the world.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Marner's season was almost identical to Draisaitl's season :huh: Despite being a year and a half younger and not playing with the best player in the world.

When Drai wasn’t paired with McDavid, he was saddled with Lucic or third rate options like Strome and Khaira. I’m willing to bet having productive linemates like JVR helped Marner a ton more than any of those guys helped Leon. I mean all you have to do is eyeball top 9’s at the end of the season:

McDavid > Matthews
Draisaitl > Marner
RNH < Nylander
Lucic < Kadri
Strome < JVR
Puljujarvi < Marleau
Khaira < Bozak
Caggiula < Hyman
Slepyshev < Brown

The Leafs depth is much better than Edmonton’s. It’s not even close. Edmonton’s top end players are better but it’s close.

Whether Marner is playing with Matthews or not, he has quality linemates. Draisaitl? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->