Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah he's really rounded into form. He's been our best player the last 6 games and honestly he has shown flashes of Victor Hedman and Ryan Suter. It will cost a lot to acquire this guy.

I would do something around Marner or Matthews. Leafs won't. Can't see a deal to be made.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Anything around JVR doesn't really make sense. Flames' depth when fully healthy on the left wing is Gaudreau-Tkachuk-Bennett/Stajan-Ferland at the moment. Longterm, JVR isn't supplanting Gaudreau or Tkachuk so why would they give up a 6'5" top pairing right hand shot defenceman for a third line left winger?

If the Flames do trade Hamilton (which they shouldn't) to the Leafs (please no) then anything short of the big three should be grounds for terminating all of King/Burke/Treliving/Conroy etc.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Anything around JVR doesn't really make sense. Flames' depth when fully healthy on the left wing is Gaudreau-Tkachuk-Bennett/Stajan-Ferland at the moment. Longterm, JVR isn't supplanting Gaudreau or Tkachuk so why would they give up a 6'5" top pairing right hand shot defenceman for a third line left winger?

If the Flames do trade Hamilton (which they shouldn't) to the Leafs (please no) then anything short of the big three should be grounds for terminating all of King/Burke/Treliving/Conroy etc.

I agree with you regarding trading Hamilton. For some reason I was thinking Tkachuk was RW naturally. Makes no sense to target JVR with our depth on LW.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Also hearing Rangers interested.

What has this poor D-man done to make these rumours come up?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
He had a poor first month paired with Kevin while the entire team was floundering and everyone knows but won't admit that he is a fantastic defenseman that will be a fixture on a top pair for a long time in this league, so they want to get him cheap while they can.

Just vultures.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also hearing Rangers interested.

What has this poor D-man done to make these rumours come up?
He plays for a team whose President believes "If Gretzky can be traded, anyone can." So Treliving listens to offers and you get rumor mongers reporting that the Flames are listening, when the reality is that every GM in the league should be listening to all offers or they shouldn't be employed. But because Montreal was "listening" to offers on Subban they have new hope that just listening will result in something, unless our Weber-like return comes around Dougie is going nowhere. One thing is for certain, Jesus Van Riemsdyk would not be apart of that return.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
He had a poor first month paired with Kevin while the entire team was floundering and everyone knows but won't admit that he is a fantastic defenseman that will be a fixture on a top pair for a long time in this league, so they want to get him cheap while they can.

Just vultures.

The smell of the early death of the Flames playoff hopes attracted them.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'd trade Hamilton for a defenseman of the same age, potential, and current playing ability. Nothing less.

I would trade Hamilton for an elite defensive defenseman like Chris Tanev + a 40-goal-upside prospect RW like Brock Boeser. I don't think there's a 1:1 Dougie trade that really makes sense. Definitely not the junk usually thrown around (Hamonic, Trouba, Gardiner+JVR). I kind of prefer Hamilton over Justin Faulk too but I have never been impressed by Fauok unlike most.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
i'd assume nylander would be the main piece coming back. If that did happen the flames really would have to go after Alzner.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
u24 defensemen who are outpacing Dougie this year:

Werenski
DeAngelo
Severson
Rielly

only Severson is on a team that a bigger tire fire offensively. (I should probably get to know more about him, he seems pretty good)

everyone thinks Dougie has been so bad this season when it's not even close to the case. his defensive shortcomings (which do exist) are no worse than those of the Seth Jones' or Justin Faulks of the league.

Dougie is the future, if you trade him there is none

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah, DeAngelo and Severson are underszied. Rielly is good but the Leafs with Marner Matthews Nylander have been lighting it up in general offensively so take it with a grain of salt. Werenski is legit though, between him, Provorov and Kylington the 2015 draft will produce three elite defensemen.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Werenski
DeAngelo
Severson
Rielly

only Severson is on a team that a bigger tire fire offensively. (I should probably get to know more about him, he seems pretty good)

everyone thinks Dougie has been so bad this season when it's not even close to the case. his defensive shortcomings (which do exist) are no worse than those of the Seth Jones' or Justin Faulks of the league.

Also how many of these players have had 3 different coaches the past 3 years and were forced to learn and adjust to a new systems. Hamilton is one of the last players we should be trading right now.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

Werenski
DeAngelo
Severson
Rielly

I don't think anyone here is advocating actually trading him. Hence the whole 'we need someone exactly like him back' or a way better package (tanev and a great prospect) even though personally I think tanev is overrated so not a fan of that particular one.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Morgan Rielly's a LHS, so no interest there. Would have to get a RHS back to justify a trade, e.g. Hamonic+Strome for Hamilton+Shinkaruk/Brouwer.

Would really rather just keep Hamilton though.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Morgan Rielly's a LHS, so no interest there. Would have to get a RHS back to justify a trade, e.g. Hamonic+Strome for Hamilton+Shinkaruk/Brouwer.

Would really rather just keep Hamilton though.

We could just put Brodie back on the right side.

Giordano - Brodie
Rielly - Wideman
Kulak - Engelland

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
We could just put Brodie back on the right side.

Giordano - Brodie
Rielly - Wideman
Kulak - Engelland

Neither Wideman nor Engelland will likely be back next season, so unless the Flames rush Andersson, or Morisson takes a giant step forward in his development, they'll be left with no RHS.

Hamilton fills a giant hole on the team trading him would really only re-open that hole.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Neither Wideman nor Engelland will likely be back next season, so unless the Flames rush Andersson, or Morisson takes a giant step forward in his development, they'll be left with no RHS.

Hamilton fills a giant hole on the team trading him would really only re-open that hole.

Sign Michael Stone this summer

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Young RHS d-men that are comparable in play to Dougie right now:

Ekblad
Parayko
Risto
Klingberg
Larsson
Jones

I definitely prefer Dougie to everyone but Ekblad. Parayko, Klingberg, Larsson and Risto are close, but they'd be lateral moves at the absolute best. I don't like Jones' game at all but I can acknowledge that other people do like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad