Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
That's just it - Hamilton has done nothing to show that he's no higher than #3 on the depth chart and remains behind Brodie / Giordano in the pecking order.

Looking at how Gulutzan is spreading out the talent on D, especially on the road, it seems like he's destined to be on the bottom pairing for roughly half of the games. That's fine, he needs to take a step at some point but given his age, we should remain patient for at least a year, or maybe two.

If he hasn't taken that step, still means he's an adequate second pair guy with offensive upside, not the worst thing in the world.

May 27, 2012
Earth
That's just it - Hamilton has done nothing to show that he's no higher than #3 on the depth chart and remains behind Brodie / Giordano in the pecking order.

Looking at how Gulutzan is spreading out the talent on D, especially on the road, it seems like he's destined to be on the bottom pairing for roughly half of the games. That's fine, he needs to take a step at some point but given his age, we should remain patient for at least a year, or maybe two.

If he hasn't taken that step, still means he's an adequate second pair guy with offensive upside, not the worst thing in the world.

Like a better Cody Franson.

lel

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The thing that really limits Hamilton, at the end of the day, is either the fact that a) he isn't trusted in difficult matchups or b) Engelland isn't trusted to lead the third pairing.

I don't mind the balance in our pairings (without Grossman), though. Splitting Brodie and Giordano has allowed Gulutzan to always have one of their pairings out against the other team's top line. Hamilton/Jokipakka or Hamilton/Kulak are more freed from responsibility. Roll the pairings pretty equally and everything should work out. Factor in Hamilton's PP time, and his minutes shouldn't be too terrible.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I bet by the end of next year that's our top pairing.

It would Dougie focus on his offensive game and Brodie can do what he does so well. Both players can play on their natural sides and Brodie would flourish. This offseason find a competent partner for Gio, think like a decent, younger Seidenberg, and we should be rolling.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
It would Dougie focus on his offensive game and Brodie can do what he does so well. Both players can play on their natural sides and Brodie would flourish. This offseason find a competent partner for Gio, think like a decent, younger Seidenberg, and we should be rolling.

Am I the only one that thinks Brodie is much better on the right than left?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I like the idea of a Brodie - Hamilton pairing. I also like the idea of a Kulak - Engelland pairing. The problem is that I don't much care for a Giordano - Wideman pairing. However, in order to get a balance going, I think that's the best bet for the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like the idea of a Brodie - Hamilton pairing. I also like the idea of a Kulak - Engelland pairing. The problem is that I don't much care for a Giordano - Wideman pairing. However, in order to get a balance going, I think that's the best bet for the Flames.

These are the pairings I'm in favour of. Also, I find Wideman usually plays his best hockey with Gio, he seems more settled.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

We should find a way to get Stralman lol, but that's near impossible unless we give up Gio himself haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad