Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Does anyone here know who made that "secret" trade call recently that got your management all upset with the insulting offer?
Since the Coyotes have been mentioned since the draft, and Chayka likes to be the smartest guy in the room, I think it was him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Common consensus says Edmonton. Burke probably wouldn't call any other GM an idiot in public since the Flames actually might need to trade with them in the future, but I don't think Edmonton and Calgary will be partners for a while.
The consensus is not Edmonton, their leaks have gone down considerably since Chiarelli took over and Chia is someone Burke has dealt with several time in the past without issue. It's pretty clearly Chayka.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Oh, btw, M-M-N are not going anywhere unless someone offers some MAJOR king-size package for ONE of them.

No doubt, but Hamilton is a top pairing RHD. Who's big. And young. And locked up long term.

AKA basically the most coveted positional asset. Requires a major return too.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Does anyone here know who made that "secret" trade call recently that got your management all upset with the insulting offer?

Both Arizona and Pittsburgh were rumored to be interested in Hamilton earlier in the season. So I wouldn't put it past either to have been the source of the leak; Chyaka for his inexperience and Rutherford because of his ridiculous ask for Fleury at the draft (6th overall) and Burke's statement that the offer was insulting.

Oh, btw, M-M-N are not going anywhere unless someone offers some MAJOR king-size package for ONE of them.
And Hamilton is not going anywhere. But especially not for the Leafs spare parts, assorted junk or overrated and overhyped complementary pieces.

It is kind of funny though to see the similarities between Oilers fans about six, seven years ago and the Leafs fans now. Penner, Nilsson, Gagner, Paarjarvi, Shremp, Cogliano, Eberle, Hopkins - all of them were at one point, supposed to return a top pairing defenceman. Good times.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It is kind of funny though to see the similarities between Oilers fans about six, seven years ago and the Leafs fans now. Penner, Nilsson, Gagner, Paarjarvi, Shremp, Cogliano, Eberle, Hopkins - all of them were at one point, supposed to return a top pairing defenceman. Good times.

At one point Hall was supposed to return a top pairing defenseman :sarcasm:

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Adam Larsson is a top pairing defenseman, don't kid yourself, he is very underrated.

He's good on the defensive side of things but doesn't produce like a true top pairing d-man should in today's NHL - not just stat-watching, if you're gonna have your guy play 25 minutes a night he needs to put up points. I like his game but he hasn't panned out anywhere near to his draft expectation. IMO he's a depth guy on a team that is not the Oilers.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
He's good on the defensive side of things but doesn't produce like a true top pairing d-man should in today's NHL - not just stat-watching, if you're gonna have your guy play 25 minutes a night he needs to put up points. I like his game but he hasn't panned out anywhere near to his draft expectation. IMO he's a depth guy on a team that is not the Oilers.

He's similar to Tanev. I'd have Chris Tanev on my top pairing any day of the week.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Based on nothing, I have concluded it must have been Chayka.

Probably offered Datsyuk or something. lol

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Duclair and the Coyotes' first rounder for 2017 (who could turn out to be Patrick or Liljegren)? I would have taken that!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Duclair and the Coyotes' first rounder for 2017 (who could turn out to be Patrick or Liljegren)? I would have taken that!

Our team would be a mess. WITH Hamilton beastin' we still have defensive troubles with the bottom 3. The second and third pairs would just be a fire drill.

I think Burkie is teaching the young man a lesson.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Agreed, Tanev is extremely underrated and I'd love to pair him with Brodie

While I don't think Tanev is an ideal first pair guy, he and Brodie would be absolutely airtight.

Just musing here but wonder what it would take to get him? Gio-Dougie and Brodie-Tanev as a top four would be kickass.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I understood that the Hamilton offer came from Eastern conference team (not Toronto).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I understood that the Hamilton offer came from Eastern conference team (not Toronto).
They're saying an Eastern team made a significant offer, but it seems pretty obvious the low-ball offer was from Arizona

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad