Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Let's just close off this thread, the guy's doing great. He should get more minutes as we go along. He's looking at +50 this year. He's been solid defensively, only one major gaffe this year.

Really only one thing left to add to this discussion:

kate-upton-duggie.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Never understood even back then why he was put on waivers. Understand it even less now.

When was Stalman on waivers? We traded him for a 3rd. He never got a chance to play for our team, but got married in Calgary.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
And to add to that, hindsight is 20/20. He took a while to become what he is.

He did, but he was given up so that Staffan Kronwall could be on the team instead. Even at the time, when Stralman was just a solid bottom pairing D, that was a stupid move.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He did, but he was given up so that Staffan Kronwall could be on the team instead. Even at the time, when Stralman was just a solid bottom pairing D, that was a stupid move.

the reports were that Stralman wanted to be in the NHL or he was going back to Europe, that was why the Leafs gave up on him originally and why we did as well. At the time it was not believed he was ready for a full-time NHL gig and he was moved rather than letting him take his ball and go home. At the time there was absolutely nothing stupid about it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
the reports were that Stralman wanted to be in the NHL or he was going back to Europe, that was why the Leafs gave up on him originally and why we did as well. At the time it was not believed he was ready for a full-time NHL gig and he was moved rather than letting him take his ball and go home. At the time there was absolutely nothing stupid about it.

Okay, a not-great move, then? Sarich and Pardy weren't exactly the world's greatest bottom pairing at the time (plus they both spend so much time on the IR that Stralman could probably have seamlessly transitioned between either side of that pairing). I think taking those minor risks with players who might not quite be ready can be worthwhile, especially in a case where it's something like your 6th dman.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That was during the B. Sutter coaching days wasn't it?

Pretty easy to see why he would have preferred a Sarich or a Pardy lol.

I do miss the Sarich we got in the first year or two of his deal. Those hits were awesome.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That was during the B. Sutter coaching days wasn't it?

Pretty easy to see why he would have preferred a Sarich or a Pardy lol.

I do miss the Sarich we got in the first year or two of his deal. Those hits were awesome.

Hit like a truck and handled puck like a hand grenade. lol. It was kind of fun having Regehr, Phaneuf, and Sarich all on the same team, though. Total wrecking crew on the right side.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay, a not-great move, then? Sarich and Pardy weren't exactly the world's greatest bottom pairing at the time (plus they both spend so much time on the IR that Stralman could probably have seamlessly transitioned between either side of that pairing). I think taking those minor risks with players who might not quite be ready can be worthwhile, especially in a case where it's something like your 6th dman.
Sarich (and like Stralman was RH) was quite solid back then and Pardy looked like a much better fit, especially with Stralman's attitude towards the AHL. At the time not a single person blinked when that deal was made.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Also remember people, Stralman's game became exponentially better under the Rangers. It's not like we had this top-pairing D in our hands at that time. He wasn't any better than Kronwall

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Rangers essentially saved Stralman's career by having a quality medical staff at hand
Had Stralman not signed with the Rangers he wouldn't have had the club's bevy of medical contacts at his disposal. That was important because Stralman needed a medical professional to diagnose why he was so susceptible to pulmonary infections, issues that derailed him in the 2010-11 season when he was with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Stralman found Dr. Emily Dimango at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Dimango is a board-certified pulmonologist.

Dr. Dimango diagnosed Stralman with bronchiectasis, a condition that features scar tissue in the airways that prevents the person affected from clearing mucus. If someone can't clear mucus from their airways, they in turn can't clear dust and other bacterial particles that build up.

There was a ton of hype behind Stralman when he was with the Leafs. The potential and ability were always there, he just needed a good doctor. So yeah, it wouldn't have worked out in Calgary.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Apparently someone from the Flames was at the Leaf game as discussions on a Doug Hamilton trade are rumoured. The Leafs defence is brutal. And serious lack a RH-defence man.

Leafs wouldn't be trading any of the 'rookies'. Rielly is still the 5th youngest on team, but don't think there would be any benefit for either team making the that swap for swap-sakes. JVR? Bozak? Don't think Flames are that stupid. Fans have been really happy with Jake Gardiner. I just don't see it happening, but thought I'd mention it here for discussion fodder.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Apparently someone from the Flames was at the Leaf game as discussions on a Doug Hamilton trade are rumoured. The Leafs defence is brutal. And serious lack a RH-defence man.

Leafs wouldn't be trading any of the 'rookies'. Rielly is still the 5th youngest on team, but don't think there would be any benefit for either team making the that swap for swap-sakes. JVR? Bozak? Don't think Flames are that stupid. Fans have been really happy with Jake Gardiner. I just don't see it happening, but thought I'd mention it here for discussion fodder.

Guess what happens to Flames D if Hamilton is traded?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Unless we're getting Reilly back, nothing makes sense. He's been real good of late.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Unless we're getting Reilly back, nothing makes sense. He's been real good of late.

I wouldn't even trade Dougie for Reilly- I think you'd be hoping Reilly turns into Dougie and so what's the point.

I would trade Dougie for Matthews or Marner, but that's probably never going to happen.
I'd rather trade Brodie than Dougie, an opinion that has made me extremely unpopular, but I really think Dougie is only starting to show what he'll be, where Brodie is already at the upper end of his ability.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When Hamilton was traded, there was a rumour he was a 'locker room cancer'. Did anything ever come of that?

The Leafs might have six players they wouldn't hesitate to bring up from the Marlies. Not saying Calgary should bite. But would be thinking a package of players that currently has 40+ pts. could be in the mix. The Cap is more of an obstacle then anything else. But don't think one of their hot rookies would be in the mix. And there might be six players they wouldn't hesitate to bring up to replace any outgoing NHLers.

Think the perception from the outside is that Calgary isn't happy with him. And like any bs perception, it always has to end up a trade rumour with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad