2022 Cup to Calgary
Young RHS d-men that are comparable in play to Dougie right now:

Ekblad
Parayko
Risto
Klingberg
Larsson
Jones

I definitely prefer Dougie to everyone but Ekblad. Parayko, Klingberg, Larsson and Risto are close, but they'd be lateral moves at the absolute best. I don't like Jones' game at all but I can acknowledge that other people do like him.

Risto may be my favorite of the bunch but Hamilton is more proven wRT puck possession

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I would trade any player we have besides Gaudreau for Ekblad. Unfortunately that would probably be roughly the ask price on Florida's end.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'd think pretty ****ing long and hard about that trade

Honestly, I think Ekblad ends up being the better player (come at me bro). But in terms of team need, there's no competition - we don't have Gaudreaus to spare, but we do have a Brodie, a Giordano and a Dougie.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would trade any player we have besides Gaudreau for Ekblad. Unfortunately that would probably be roughly the ask price on Florida's end.

I think the only way to make things work out would be to add Dougie and Freddie to the deal and we ask a winger from them. We'd give up the superior winger, get the superior D man, then we give up the inferior but good dman and get an inferior but good winger.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think the only way to make things work out would be to add Dougie and Freddie to the deal and we ask a winger from them. We'd give up the superior winger, get the superior D man, then we give up the inferior but good dman and get an inferior but good winger.

So Gaudreau and Hamilton x2 for Ekblad and Huberdeau?

Naw.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Right now Dougie is either Calgary's best or second best d-man. Brodie has not adjusted to the new system well. Gio has stumbled and well the rest aren't even close.

Dougie is only 23 years old and after a rough time last year is making real strides so do any of you honestly think Treliving would trade him now before his true potential is evident? You are all talking of a d-man that realistically can be mentioned with the likes of Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Seabrook being traded because things are not going well now.

The only way Dougie gets traded is if Calgary gets Kings ransom.

Dougie for Nylander plus Jake Gardiner and a conditional second.
Dougie for Rantanen and Duchene and a conditional second.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Where is this talk coming from that Gio hasn't been good? He's been our best defencemen by a country mile. :laugh:

His offence is down but his elite defence is back IMO. To me he's better this year than last even though he's producing way less. He looked sketchy in the D zone at times last year.

After the first three games he's been great.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Where is this talk coming from that Gio hasn't been good? He's been our best defencemen by a country mile. :laugh:

His offence is down but his elite defence is back IMO. To me he's better this year than last even though he's producing way less. He looked sketchy in the D zone at times last year.

After the first three games he's been great.

Agree to disagree completely. He's gotten better as time's gone on, but he's hardly been the defensive stalwart of previous years.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agree to disagree completely. He's gotten better as time's gone on, but he's hardly been the defensive stalwart of previous years.

+3 on a bad team team with tough minutes. What more can you ask of the guy 5 on 5? Everyone looks much better when they play with Gio. Coincidence? No

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
history-1617-CGY-giordma83.png

Gio has definitely improved as the season has gone on.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
My interpretation is that Gio didn't really start to turn it around until he was paired with Hamilton. Take from that what you will.

Gio turned it around long before that. He never really needed to turn it around though, as he's had a great defensive season. The only thing that's not there is his offense, which brings back memories of the Brent Sutter Era Giordano.

That and every penalty kill is a 3-on-5 because he's anchored down to Engelland.

Last edited:

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
Surprised the Flames have been so public in the media about this. Must of really pissed off upper management. Don't see the flames Facebook and Twitter accounts discussing trade rumors very often.

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Does anyone here know who made that "secret" trade call recently that got your management all upset with the insulting offer?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Does anyone here know who made that "secret" trade call recently that got your management all upset with the insulting offer?

Common consensus says Edmonton. Burke probably wouldn't call any other GM an idiot in public since the Flames actually might need to trade with them in the future, but I don't think Edmonton and Calgary will be partners for a while.

Oh, btw, M-M-N are not going anywhere unless someone offers some MAJOR king-size package for ONE of them.

Also, Hamilton is THE DEFINITION of a major king-size package and would not be traded for the very high quality players that are Nylander and Marner without a noticeable add from the Leafs. Matthews would definitely require a plus from Calgary, no doubt about that.

Buffalo wouldn't trade you Risto for Marner, Columbus wouldn't trade you Jones for Nylander, and Florida probably wouldn't trade you Ekblad for Matthews. Hamilton's value is absolutely in the Risto/Jones tier no matter how much everyone seems to deny it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad