Proposal: Doughty to the Leafs (No extension)

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
you guys know that the player gets to decide if he wants to sign right?...like it's not just "here's the requisite amount of money, you're now obligated to sign with us"

There's a lot beyond the money that can affect that decision, and as you mention Toronto's not in a position that we're chasing one last cup, we need to build for a while. If we traded for Doughty and he didn't sign here, that probably means that we'd be looking at another bottom 10 finish phase for a few years to restock the talent that it took to get 1 year of Doughty before our team was even peaking.

I'm not of the opinion that we should trade for Doughty at all because of the cost of doing so, he might be a guy that we look at as a UFA, but if we're trading for him it's for a signed version. We need 7-9 years of service, not 1

Sorry to make my position clear...LA shouldn't trade Doughty unless he says hes not going to resign with the Kings. At that point LA goes to Doughty and asks where he would like to go and he says said team (in this scenario it's Toronto). LA than talks with said team about deal with said team getting to talk with Doughty about an idea of a contract he is looking for. After is when said trade scenario happens.

*I am on the LA side of just throw all money to Doughty. The Kings can't lose him! Only trade him if he wants/asks to go.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Jan 21, 2018
Kings are in a similar spot to the habs with key players (albeit better players on better contracts) locked in long term which makes a rebuild difficult.

The irony is that the best vet/star to keep around for the rebuild is dd.

LOL the Kings are in no form in a similar spot as the Habs.

Why would a team that made the playoffs need to rebuild? Vegas is a legit and superior team, you don't completely dismantle your team because of a series loss. Sometimes you just run into a hot team, it happens every year.

Kings just need to retool a bit, get a bit faster and they'll be fine next year. Typical HFBoards, burn the team to the ground at any chance possible.

Reactions: go4hockey

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Sorry to make my position clear...LA shouldn't trade Doughty unless he says hes not going to resign with the Kings. At that point LA goes to Doughty and asks where he would like to go and he says said team (in this scenario it's Toronto). LA than talks with said team about deal with said team getting to talk with Doughty about an idea of a contract he is looking for. After is when said trade scenario happens.

*I am on the LA side of just throw all money to Doughty. The Kings can't lose him! Only trade him if he wants/asks to go.
ah, ok. I would agree that you guys should try to keep him. Your core has its best chance to win now and Doughty's age aligns well, plus you can offer him the extra year that no one else can as a UFA. I'd be throwing everything at the next few years and worry about the consequences of bad contracts later

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
A team that trades for him would also be able to offer an extra year, a nice advantage in being able to get and keep him long-term.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Nope

Look I get we need to improve our D but giving up who could be the next Karlsson for a year of Doughty is just bad management. Second behind Doughty we have nobody decent on the Right.

Go after Carlson in the offseason hard, likely will be cheaper than Doughty and if we fail then look at both options in Karlsson and Doughty.

Liljegren could be the next Karlsson are u f***ing kidding me? Put down the drugs asap.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
LOL the Kings are in no form in a similar spot as the Habs.

Why would a team that made the playoffs need to rebuild? Vegas is a legit and superior team, you don't completely dismantle your team because of a series loss. Sometimes you just run into a hot team, it happens every year.

Kings just need to retool a bit, get a bit faster and they'll be fine next year. Typical HFBoards, burn the team to the ground at any chance possible.
The kings have more similarities to the habs than they do to the jets,leafs,penguins or bolts. They're not a contender and not in a position to rebuild. At least they got a couple cups to show for it

nhlfan1991

Apr 14, 2014
Not enough from the leafs. A late first and second a player who had a good ahl season but might not even make the league and a Ahler for a top Norris winning dmen

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Prior to Liljegren getting mono, his projected comparable was really more of a dougie Hamilton.... Karlsson is a little lofty.

No sorry he didn't just fall in the draft because of mono he fell cause his defensive game needs a lot of work. I would compare him to Gardiner a lot more than I would compare him to Karlsson.

Dahlin now there is a guy we can compare to the top defensmen in potential.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
1st
Zaitsev
Brown
Nylander

for

Doughty (re-signed)

Not sure what I could see reasonably being added on to that, at some point we're getting bent over.
A signed Doughty. You better be offering up more than this.L.A. gets hosed.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Nope

Look I get we need to improve our D but giving up who could be the next Karlsson for a year of Doughty is just bad management. Second behind Doughty we have nobody decent on the Right.

Go after Carlson in the offseason hard, likely will be cheaper than Doughty and if we fail then look at both options in Karlsson and Doughty.
One quick question while i still can contain myself from laughing so hard. Who is this so called
[could be the next Karlsson?] And PLEASE don't say Liljegren, .:facepalm:

Reactions: go4hockey

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Doughty isn't interested in the Leafs and has said so on multiple occasions.

It's not happening.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
1st
Zaitsev
Brown
Nylander

for

Doughty (re-signed)

Not sure what I could see reasonably being added on to that, at some point we're getting bent over.

I think if Doughty does want out I dunno if LA will find a better package then this, unless you guys wanna do Nylander+Liljegren :naughty:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
There is no way for the Leafs to pull Doughty out of LA without paying an outrageous amount,. The Leafs should go on a couple deep runs and be one of the top contenders by the summer that he is available. At that point if he's more interested in winning than making max money we'll be on his short list.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
:leafs
Doughty, Drew ($7,000,000)
Lewis, Trevor ($2,000,000)

:kings
2019 1st round pick (TOR)
2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Liljegren, Timothy ($925,000)
Timashov, Dmytro ($693,333)

Thoughts?

I thought you guys were pretty close to the cap. You'd need to dump marleau o something. In terms of value, most leafs fans probably wouldn't want to do it

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
No sorry he didn't just fall in the draft because of mono he fell cause his defensive game needs a lot of work. I would compare him to Gardiner a lot more than I would compare him to Karlsson.

Dahlin now there is a guy we can compare to the top defensmen in potential.

Projection was per NHL analysts (Craig Button). I'm just going by what he's said as I've never see him play.

I'm guessing, this is your personal opinion and have no professional NHL experience scouting or gauging the talent level at the professional level?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Projection was per NHL analysts (Craig Button). I'm just going by what he's said as I've never see him play.

I'm guessing, this is your personal opinion and have no professional NHL experience scouting or gauging the talent level at the professional level?

The same Craig Button in article for the draft this year had Svech going 4th and Zadina going 5th you mean that guy said the leafs prospect was like Karlsson?

There is a reason why Button is on TSN and not working for an NHL team anymore.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Any Doughty to Toronto trade begins with Marner, and Toronto adds from there. Otherwise Blake hangs up the phone.

Multiple Cup winning, Norris winning top 2-3 defensemen in the league for 5+ years still in their prime simply don’t get traded. It will take an absolute haul to get him out of LA, or Blake moves on to other suitors.

Almost every team in the league will be lining up with their best offer if Doughty’s name is on the trade market.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The same Craig Button in article for the draft this year had Svech going 4th and Zadina going 5th you mean that guy said the leafs prospect was like Karlsson?

There is a reason why Button is on TSN and not working for an NHL team anymore.

Ask for the source. I don't believe that, unless he gives me evidence that Button said that.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Doughty fetches way more than this. I think maybe Marner + Nylander and a solid D prospect is what you're looking at here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad