Proposal: Doughty to the Leafs (No extension)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If having Doughty is such a mystical fix to the Leafs defence, why did the Kings finish out of the playoffs last year and go ousted this year?
I think folks really overrate of upcoming UFADoughty the value to the Leafs, especially if it means stripping the Leafs of futures.
There are 15 teams that finished out of the playoffs and other playoffs teams with some below average Dmen, why can't we ever see post with Doughty traded to those teams?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If having Doughty is such a mystical fix to the Leafs defence, why did the Kings finish out of the playoffs last year and go ousted this year?
I think folks really overrate of upcoming UFADoughty the value to the Leafs, especially if it means stripping the Leafs of futures.
There are 15 teams that finished out of the playoffs and other playoffs teams with some below average Dmen, why can't we ever see post with Doughty traded to those teams?

I could be wrong but isn't the leafs biggest need a RHD?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
So say I am LA's GM and decide I will trade Doughty.

I would ask Doughty's agent a list of teams he would be interested in going to that I will give negotiating rights to. I then go to those teams and say if you can sign Doughty what would you give me in terms of a trade. If they give me a package that suits my needs I would then allow them to talk to Doughty's agent.

From Doughty's POV when you have 80M+ on the table it's the secure move to try get it done ASAP, even if you have less choice. Fro the GM of the team acquiring Doughty, it's worth it to give something of value to guarantee you get a legit #1 defenseman.

Now say Doughty/Agent don't do that I then go to plan B which is make a trade for 1 year of Doughty's services with the condition if he resigns I get an extra 1st rounder. Some team will be willing to add that

again if I'm a team I wouldn't up my offer from an unsigned doughty because the only reason LA is asking me that is because they can't re-sign him. and that list from doughty probably wont be as big as you think it would probably only be 2 maybe 3 big, and whose to say all those teams would want or more important have the room to sign Doughty.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I could be wrong but isn't the leafs biggest need a RHD?

Yes. And next year it might be centre too. But acquiring a RHD at any cost not necessarily going to help the Leafs succeed either. And even having Doughty is no guarantee of future (or one year success) either. I'll repeat there seems to be this silly belief that a a better even great RHD is going to transform the Leafs into winners. Really? We never seem to any posts for the other 25 teams that Doughty could really help.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
again if I'm a team I wouldn't up my offer from an unsigned doughty because the only reason LA is asking me that is because they can't re-sign him. and that list from doughty probably wont be as big as you think it would probably only be 2 maybe 3 big, and whose to say all those teams would want or more important have the room to sign Doughty.

Legit #1 defensemen(their might only be about 10 in this league) don't grow on trees, the chance you get to grab one where you don't have to trade a player at the same level back you go for it if you have a shot and need defense.

From an Islanders POV I would be more then happy if we somehow could trade at full value for a signed Doughty

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Let's see...last year Quick was out for the whole year and they only missed the playoffs by a couple of points.

This year Carter was out for 3/4ths of the season, but still made the playoffs. In the playoffs the Kings were with 2 of their Top4 Dman and had one game with 3 out of 4 dman not playing (losing in 2OT).

The Kings had a lot of injuries the last couple of years but they still had a chance. They were installing some youth this year and that youth had inconsistent scoring troubles. That's what hurt them in the playoffs. Doughty keep that d-core together and put them on his back.

And Doughty keeps getting brought up with Toronto because he from that area and there's so many crazy Toronto fans that think anyone from that area is gonna play there. It's a curse for the normal fans and fans of other teams.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Doughty may well win the Norris trophy. He's arguably the best d-man in the world. Only a Leafs fan would try to suggest he's not what you want or need, when he's EXACTLY what you want and need. If you can avoid moving Matthews, Rielly, and two of Marner/Nylander, then you go all in.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Doughty may well win the Norris trophy. He's arguably the best d-man in the world. Only a Leafs fan would try to suggest he's not what you want or need, when he's EXACTLY what you want and need. If you can avoid moving Matthews, Rielly, and two of Marner/Nylander, then you go all in.
Or the Leafs wait 1 season and approach his as a UFA without Marner or Nylander having to be traded. Much rather go that route.

If he would be willing to sign an extension in Toronto right after a trade (only way Nylander or Marner get involved) then I don't see why he wouldn't sign here as a UFA. Not giving up Marner or Willy for 1 guaranteed year or Doughty. It just ain't happening.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
:leafs
Doughty, Drew ($7,000,000)
Lewis, Trevor ($2,000,000)

:kings
2019 1st round pick (TOR)
2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Liljegren, Timothy ($925,000)
Timashov, Dmytro ($693,333)

Thoughts?
this is bad, very bad - you are valuing Doughty as a rental and while the term rental on these boards has erroneously changed to include any player with less than 1.5 years left on his contract he is not a rental so would cost much more than that.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
this is bad, very bad - you are valuing Doughty as a rental and while the term rental on these boards has erroneously changed to include any player with less than 1.5 years left on his contract he is not a rental so would cost much more than that.

Hate to break it to you but that's good value if the kings are moving him. Thats two elc players one being a blue chip, a first round pick and a second. Without an extension the kings are not getting much regardless of how good he is. Its just not the way it works. But Keep telling yourself our prospects are trash. That's a very good tdl offer

Edit. I read it as a Trade deadline offer next year.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Tell me again what the GAA of the LA Kings was this year?
A guy who plays 30+ minutes a game at the top D pairing probably is a major contributor of that.

Put this way Doughty is on the Leafs blue line, they would already be in round 2 playing Tampa.

Kings will probably fork over 11 million a season for the guy, and I would not have a problem with that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The RHD LHD **** is overblown. The biggest team need since 2011 is team defense as a whole. We need to be able to defend everywhere.

I disagree, some players can play either side, but other definitely do play one side better then the other. Their is advantages and disadvantages to playing certain sides given the position of your stick in relation to the net

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The RHD LHD **** is overblown. The biggest team need since 2011 is team defense as a whole. We need to be able to defend everywhere.

Have you watched the Boston series? They dump the puck to our right side every time and make sure we they have someone ready to check the left defenseman as soon as he gets the puck because they know we don't have anyone who can make a pass on the right.

We can't break out because they can focus exclusively on our LD and pressure them into throwing the puck away. If we had a good RD, they'd get burned on that play with an odd man rush every time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think folks really overrate of upcoming UFADoughty the value to the Leafs
, especially if it means stripping the Leafs of futures.

Now look at the difference on the Kings with Doughty on the ice and off the ice.

Possession wise, in the playoffs, they were 5% better than the best possession team in the league with him on. With him off, they were 10% worse than the worst team in the league.

But keep pretending he's not a difference maker.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Now look at the difference on the Kings with Doughty on the ice and off the ice.

Possession wise, in the playoffs, they were 5% better than the best possession team in the league with him on. With him off, they were 10% worse than the worst team in the league.

But keep pretending he's not a difference maker.

All these retorts to my original post, really prove I was am correct. I said the Leafs (or any team) aren't going to strip their team or future for a one year rental. Is that so wrong? And if a team has to trade a minimal of two good starters (and more) to obtain one player, it certainly is debatable what the benefit it to a team even short term.
But why is it that on these trade post in the past year, Weber, Tanev, and Doughty are traded to the Leafs 90% of the time. Don't they players have value to other teams? I think it just a real lack of creativity and objectively by the creators of the posts.
By the way, I don't believe at all that Kings trade Doughty or that Doughty would sign any place but LA.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

how many #1 d-man have 2 stanley cup ?

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
the added advantage of "the one year rental" is you can add another year more than anyone else and that will be about 11 or 12 million actual dollars ,would be hard to walk away when you guys are finally contending now , and its funny that for the last few years weekly we would get DD to the leaf threads and now that you guys are actually competitive its some geniuses saying he's really not that good but for free we will take him , hope like stamkos he stays put but one of us is going to get their heart ripped and personally I hope its you guys and have no doubtr that he is the one guy to put you over the top and if you doubt he's the guy ask your parents if you can stay up late and watch some of our games next season

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Or the Leafs wait 1 season and approach his as a UFA without Marner or Nylander having to be traded. Much rather go that route.

If he would be willing to sign an extension in Toronto right after a trade (only way Nylander or Marner get involved) then I don't see why he wouldn't sign here as a UFA. Not giving up Marner or Willy for 1 guaranteed year or Doughty. It just ain't happening.
Ya and I would rather have Jennifer Lawrence call me up the minute she is single, before I make a long term commitment to her....so I will wait it out to see how it goes.

Oct 18, 2011
Nope

Look I get we need to improve our D but giving up who could be the next Karlsson for a year of Doughty is just bad management. Second behind Doughty we have nobody decent on the Right.

Go after Carlson in the offseason hard, likely will be cheaper than Doughty and if we fail then look at both options in Karlsson and Doughty.
Who the f*** is the next Karlsson?

It's funny how people here are like "we'll wait one year to sign him" Doughty has expressed no interest in changing teams and we all know what bullcrap the "allure" of Toronto is for star players as UFA(ZERO)

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Who the **** is the next Karlsson?

It's funny how people here are like "we'll wait one year to sign him" Doughty has expressed no interest in changing teams and we all know what bullcrap the "allure" of Toronto is for star players as UFA(ZERO)
So, gutting the team for someone who wants to play in California is a dumb f***ing idea. He doesn't have to re-sign with the Leafs and everything so far indicates he doesn't want to play here. So, we'll develop from within and let Doughty decide where he wants to play when or if he ever becomes a free agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad