Proposal: Doughty to the Leafs (No extension)

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Have you watched the Boston series? They dump the puck to our right side every time and make sure we they have someone ready to check the left defenseman as soon as he gets the puck because they know we don't have anyone who can make a pass on the right.

We can't break out because they can focus exclusively on our LD and pressure them into throwing the puck away. If we had a good RD, they'd get burned on that play with an odd man rush every time.

The problem isn't having A LHD there, the problem is THE LHD they have there

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The problem isn't having A LHD there, the problem is THE LHD they have there

Rielly and Gardiner are elite skaters, Dermott is well above average, all 3 are great passers. Say what you want about their defensive games, but exiting the zone is the last thing those 3 should be bad at.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Rielly and Gardiner are elite skaters, Dermott is well above average, all 3 are great passers. Say what you want about their defensive games, but exiting the zone is the last thing those 3 should be bad at.
Pretty sure he's talking about Hainsey as a LH D being RD, and that it's the quality of Hainsey's exits that makes it so bad, not his handedness

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
the added advantage of "the one year rental" is you can add another year more than anyone else and that will be about 11 or 12 million actual dollars ,would be hard to walk away when you guys are finally contending now , and its funny that for the last few years weekly we would get DD to the leaf threads and now that you guys are actually competitive its some geniuses saying he's really not that good but for free we will take him , hope like stamkos he stays put but one of us is going to get their heart ripped and personally I hope its you guys and have no doubtr that he is the one guy to put you over the top and if you doubt he's the guy ask your parents if you can stay up late and watch some of our games next season

Sorry, I have better things to do on late at night that watch a Kings game. I still say stripping your team of core players and futures for a one year rental and hoping you can resign that play is bad business. Of course, I don't see any trades of Doughty to any other teams but the Leafs. Aren't any other teams interested in him? And LA is Doughty's home, the chances of him actually resigning to any team but the Kings is remote, though I do know the rights holders have the eight year option.

You say Doughty is the "one guy that could the Leafs over the top". Doubtful if it means stripping your club now of for the one year rental. Now signing him as a UFA is different. Why do include me as in "you guys"? I see the Leafs the most and understand the Leafs more than any team, but I'm not a FANatic of any one team. But I certainly have run in to many fanatics in this conversation. You talk about us having our hearts ripped out, whoa, you are simpleton sports fan aren't you? I don't know of any body sane person that invests that much of emotional worth in a sports team, but if I had the misfortunate of meeting a foul mouthed little brat yourself you would be the first.
I'm not the only person that trading for Doughty is bad idea for the Leafs. "Magic Man " in a recent post said it well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you don't think the star you're trying to trade for is going to sign an extension with you then you'll get outbid. So can we get a sticky thread telling people to cut it out with this "no extension" nonsense? It doesn't work as justification for your shitty offer, so if you feel compelled to write something like that then just don't bother with your proposal in the first place.

Oct 18, 2011
So, gutting the team for someone who wants to play in California is a dumb ****ing idea. He doesn't have to re-sign with the Leafs and everything so far indicates he doesn't want to play here. So, we'll develop from within and let Doughty decide where he wants to play when or if he ever becomes a free agent.
Your best chance to keep DD long term is via trade

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Liljegren could be the next Karlsson are u ****ing kidding me? Put down the drugs asap.
Like this guy?

DQx15.gif

That guy is nuts lol Liljegren and Karlsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Wings

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
and if he walks they're out a potential 80 point forward and a potential 50 point defenseman just starting their careers. If he wants to play here he'll sign here, he wants to play in LA tho and will re-sign there.
You're really not naive enough to think GMs never talk to agents, are you?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Like this guy?

DQx15.gif

That guy is nuts lol Liljegren and Karlsson.
He did put up the most points in the AHL by an 18 year old defender ever. He doesn't have much competition though, most 18 year old's don't play in the AHL. He was at one point #2 in his draft class before he fell. Karlsson wasn't Karlsson when he was drafted either, a little thing called development took place. He has the upside, whether he reaches it or not is up to him.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He did put up the most points in the AHL by an 18 year old defender ever. He doesn't have much competition though, most 18 year old's don't play in the AHL. He was at one point #2 in his draft class before he fell. Karlsson wasn't Karlsson when he was drafted either, a little thing called development took place. He has the upside, whether he reaches it or not is up to him.
Ok, but no one called Karlsson the next Lidstrom or said he could potentially be... Karlsson just became Karlsson.
He said that like it is ezpz to be players of Karlsson's and Lidstrom's calibre. A little thing called common sense when talking shit about players and their potential, Why reach the highest possible outcome when there were no comparisons to him in the first place.

#1 Draft pick in the 2018 draft and Edmonton :edmonton future star defencemen has comparisons to Lidstrom.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Ok, but no one called Karlsson the next Lidstrom or said he could potentially be... Karlsson just became Karlsson.
He said that like it is ezpz to be players of Karlsson's and Lidstrom's calibre. A little thing called common sense when talking **** about players and their potential, Why reach the highest possible outcome when there were no comparisons to him in the first place.

#1 Draft pick in the 2018 draft and Edmonton :edmonton future star defencemen has comparisons to Lidstrom.
Did you f***ers get 1st overall again?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
On Saturday, the hawks are.

Oh man, that would be great. If the Hawks or oilers won the draft lottery this site would crash.

Hell, if the rangers won the draft lottery Bern might retire his account instead of posting proposals for 5 future first round picks through 2022 for every other teams franchise talent

Reactions: Crow

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
So now Liljegren projects to be the next EK?

Gardiner and Reilly are both elite skaters?

Elite- A select part of a group that Is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

Neither name comes to mind when elite skating is being discussed if the true definition is applied. The word elite has no value on the boards any more. Most overused term around today.

Reactions: go4hockey

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
So i'm going to take this as an objective person trying to think from both sides.

I think LA is right to ask for Marner, and I think its right for Toronto to comprimise on the "quality" side of the trade with Nylander deciding that he is the weakest of the 3. Then you add a 1st rounder, the teams #1 defensive prospect, and then because of quality of DD you add another quality piece. I think given the compete level of both teams a NHL piece is required and IMHO it should be Brown.

Thus, IMHO a reasonable trade is:

Nylander
Brown
1st 2018
Liljegren

for

Drew Doughty.

Maybe not the final result, but that is the overall concept.

Are you talking about an imaginary signed DD? Because he's not worth that for one year...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Oh man, that would be great. If the Hawks or oilers won the draft lottery this site would crash.

Hell, if the rangers won the draft lottery Bern might retire his account instead of posting proposals for 5 future first round picks through 2022 for every other teams franchise talent
Glad to see everybody is now cheering for us to win the lottery. :)

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Elite- A select part of a group that Is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities.

Neither name comes to mind when elite skating is being discussed if the true definition is applied. The word elite has no value on the boards any more. Most overused term around today.

We've been over this already.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Lily will not be the next EK, there is a chance he become as good but it is extremely unlikely.

What do you define as elite? As ya, Gardiner and Rielly do have pretty elite skating.... not all abour straight line speed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad