Proposal: Doughty to the Leafs (No extension)

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Lily will not be the next EK, there is a chance he become as good but it is extremely unlikely.

What do you define as elite? As ya, Gardiner and Rielly do have pretty elite skating.... not all abour straight line speed

By definition I’d say the top 5 or 10 skaters in the NHL are ELITE. Neither Rielly or Gardiner are in that group. And before anyone’s says I’m just a Homer I don’t include any current Flyers in that group either.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
By definition I’d say the top 5 or 10 skaters in the NHL are ELITE. Neither Rielly or Gardiner are in that group. And before anyone’s says I’m just a Homer I don’t include any current Flyers in that group either.
Ya but that is your definition of elite. It is a pretty subjective term.

Just like how a number 1 defender is some sort of unicorn to some people whereby there are only like 10 in the league while others think they are just the top 31 best defenders or what not.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Ya but that is your definition of elite. It is a pretty subjective term.

Just like how a number 1 defender is some sort of unicorn to some people whereby there are only like 10 in the league while others think they are just the top 31 best defenders or what not.

I’m not even getting in to the true number one d man debate. At best there are maybe 15 in the league

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I’m not even getting in to the true number one d man debate. At best there are maybe 15 in the league

That’s actually the dictionary’s definition of elite. It’s the application of the term that people can’t seem to grasp the concept of. Better than average or even very good to excellent is not ELITE by any means

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you don't think the star you're trying to trade for is going to sign an extension with you then you'll get outbid. So can we get a sticky thread telling people to cut it out with this "no extension" nonsense? It doesn't work as justification for your ****ty offer, so if you feel compelled to write something like that then just don't bother with your proposal in the first place.

Agreed

These type of offers need to be framed as he will be signed value, no one is getting EK Or DD at rental price. By the way I’m not advocating the Leafs to trade for him, just saying generally

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Agreed

These type of offers need to be framed as he will be signed value, no one is getting EK Or DD at rental price. By the way I’m not advocating the Leafs to trade for him, just saying generally

Yep. Even if you think it's crazy to just assume a guy will re-sign with you, some other GM is going to believe that and make an offer under that assumption. We saw it with ROR, we saw it with Duchene, and we're going to see it if Karlsson or Doughty get traded before they can walk. Contract status can be the reason a player becomes available in the first place, but it won't get you a superstar for peanuts.

Vanek is the closest example there is to a star traded for peanuts recently and he wasn't as big of a star as we're talking about here, and that whole situation was because everyone knew he wanted to go to Minnesota as one GM had already traded for him, only to fail to convince him to re-sign.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If having Doughty is such a mystical fix to the Leafs defence, why did the Kings finish out of the playoffs last year and go ousted this year?
I think folks really overrate of upcoming UFADoughty the value to the Leafs, especially if it means stripping the Leafs of futures.
There are 15 teams that finished out of the playoffs and other playoffs teams with some below average Dmen, why can't we ever see post with Doughty traded to those teams?

Lot's of good players miss the playoffs, it happened to Lemieux, so that statement is pretty empty. Hockey is a team sport, you improve your players your team gets better.

Doughty is one of if not the best 2 way D men in the game, I'm not sure how you over value that.

As for the last part, the assumption is he would not want to be traded to a non playoff team and would want a playoff team. He's also from the area and said "most of us secretly wish to play for them" so he will always be linked to us.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
That’s actually the dictionary’s definition of elite. It’s the application of the term that people can’t seem to grasp the concept of. Better than average or even very good to excellent is not ELITE by any means
Lmao it's not the dictionary's definition that elite is only top 5 or top 10, could be the top 1%, 5%, or even 10% based on the subjective view of the poster, but you don't make the cut off buddy. But either way Rielly is pretty damn close to top 10 skating dmen if he's not in it already

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Lmao it's not the dictionary's definition that elite is only top 5 or top 10, could be the top 1%, 5%, or even 10% based on the subjective view of the poster, but you don't make the cut off buddy. But either way Rielly is pretty damn close to top 10 skating dmen if he's not in it already

The term elite is indeed subjective to interpretation. My point being it’s supposed to be for the cream of the crop and every other poster calls their guy elite this and elite that. The word has little to no meaning on these boards anymore. Apparently everyone in the league is elite at something. Good day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad