Proposal: Doughty to the Leafs (No extension)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It would be addition by subtraction to be able to have that cap space to sign FA's. It's a lot of $$$. And I can't think of any other way to get rid of Brown. lol

I'm breaking my brain trying to word this in a way that makes sense so bear with me lol, I don't think you would be able to sign any free agent that would have more of an impact on the team than the player/pick you would lose out of the Doughty haul by including Brown. I'd say hope his at least acceptable play continues and maybe in the next CBA negotiations there will be another compliance buyout

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I agree. That'll also be $13 million in salary the acquiring team has to add. And then another $3-4 million the season after to re-sign Doughty.

Yeah and the teams that can afford that are probably Vegas and.... Vegas. Don't think LA is eager to send Doughty there especially after that series, or Brown for that matter

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Do you really need me to explain it to you?
Well, you said: Fair enough. I have never said they would have won those. However it would have been a different outcome.

So you say didn't say they would've won and that's fine. But you said the outcome would've been different. There is only 1 different outcome to a loss in the playoffs.

So yes, yes you do need to explain it to me.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thentrade would do more harm than good for the Leafs - especially if it weren’t to involve a Marner/Nylander type asset. Even trading 2 1sts + + in futures would be pretty harmful.

Folks need to get past the idea that Matthews + Doughty = cup. It ain’t that simple

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Looks like a fairly reasonable trade to me. This is my expectation for if 1 of Karlsson or Doughty gets traded with a year left. A good prospect and 2 1sts seems pretty reasonable for any team, and a Norris caliber 2-way defensive minded RHD is exactly what the doctor ordered for the leafs.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Well, you said: Fair enough. I have never said they would have won those. However it would have been a different outcome.

So you say didn't say they would've won and that's fine. But you said the outcome would've been different. There is only 1 different outcome to a loss in the playoffs.

So yes, yes you do need to explain it to me.
Actually no there isn’t. The game could have been much closer but they still lose. You can change the outcome of a game but that doesn’t mean they win.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think there should be a topic more along the lines Nylander + Pick for your best D man offered Nylander is good but the most expendable and honestly i think the leafs have a few players that can jump in his spot . Carl grundstrom would play well I understand he dose play LW but hes a frigging elite sniper and matthews feeding him the puck he could bury goals just like willie.

I LOVE Nylander but Honestly if the offer is right i'd trade him + maybe a pick or prospect for a good young D Man

Marner on the other hand is a no go

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Actually no there isn’t. The game could have been much closer but they still lose. You can change the outcome of a game but that doesn’t mean they win.

No you can't, just based on the definition of outcome that' not true. Everyone knows what you mean though, at least I hope buddy arguing with you does

Reactions: shortfuze

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If DD wants to be a leaf, he'll sign here in 15 months. Until then, relax.

I don't think he wants to, which is why it makes sense to me to get him now and pitch it to him, convince him of his guaranteed rock star status if he signs and how cool it would be for him.

I mean I could see his endorsements from Canadian Tire and others, his own box seats each year to see the Blue Jays, etc.

Plus a hungry, winning team around him...

Remember the rushed pitch that Toronto had to make to Stamkos and how that worked out.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't think he wants to, which is why it makes sense to me to get him now and pitch it to him, convince him of his guaranteed rock star status if he signs and how cool it would be for him.

I agree with you but no GM in the league would pay that price to be able to pitch the idea of re-signing.
They would have to be 99% sure a deal will be done.
Otherwise, throw LA a 2nd or a prospect at the end of next season to buy a week of exclusive negotiation rights.

Reactions: Rorschach

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Being from London Ont. if Doughty was traded to the Leafs there would probably be a very good chance he could re-sign there, especially with the Leafs clearly on the way up. He could be just what they need to put them over the top !

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
He would make more money in Toronto than anywhere else in the world. Toronto wouldn't need to pay him max in salary. The endorsements alone for Canada's best defenseman would be greater than his salary. That would be a good selling point, not only more money in his bank by far but also lower cap hit so he can have a more competitive team around him.

And forget trying to dump Dustin Brown on Toronto. If we deal Doughty, we'll have no chance to win anything. If anything we should start taking cap dumps for futures and trading guys like Brown with retention for even more futures.

It will take an insane amount of futures to build another team like our 2012-2014 team again, especially with our slightly above mediocre scouting department.

We might never again have a team that has Kopitar and Doughty on it at the same time.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LA isnt rebuilding so OP is out to lunch..

They need speed and scoring... a 3 for 1 deal with TML for speedy guys could be the retool LA needs.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Being from London Ont. if Doughty was traded to the Leafs there would probably be a very good chance he could re-sign there, especially with the Leafs clearly on the way up. He could be just what they need to put them over the top !

See this the from London bit is the part of the puzzle I think people overstate. I don't know who in their right mind moves from Toronto to LA and thinks "gee, can't wait to go back!"

Reactions: go4hockey

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
See this the from London bit is the part of the puzzle I think people overstate. I don't know who in their right mind moves from Toronto to LA and thinks "gee, can't wait to go back!"

Well money talks doesn't it? That and the fact that the Leafs appear to be a contender like I mentioned and he's from London . It's not like he's going to Buffalo or anything . :sarcasm:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well money talks doesn't it? That and the fact that the Leafs appear to be a contender like I mentioned and he's from London . It's not like he's going to Buffalo or anything . :sarcasm:

Haha I know I'm just nitpicking. Always seems funny to me that "he's from Toronto" automatically means the guy is clamoring to go back

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It's hilarious to say no to a deal like this for a #1D, because he is a rental and all you're giving up is maybes.
Using the word "rental" just seems wrong in that aspect. When I hear "rental" I think guys like Vanek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad