Proposal: Doughty to the Leafs (No extension)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's hilarious to say no to a deal like this for a #1D, because he is a rental and all you're giving up is maybes.
Using the word "rental" just seems wrong in that aspect. When I hear "rental" I think guys like Vanek.
"rental" refers to the term left on the contract, not the level of player.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Thanks, I know that. Some rentals have very different value than others. Few maybes and a decent player for such a player can easily be worth it.
I don't think anyone's debating that different players have different values, but at this point in his contract Doughty is most definitely a rental if he gets acquired unless he's signing an extension

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't think anyone's debating that different players have different values, but at this point in his contract Doughty is most definitely a rental if he gets acquired unless he's signing an extension
If Ducks had worse D at this point I would easily give up 2 1sts+Jones+more for rental Doughty right now.
Just seems to me some here think because a player is rental he has poor value, when in reality it's not that big of a difference. It's not often players that are traded for huge deals don't end up with the team they were traded to. As clearly the team who wanted the player paid them accordingly. It's a "risk" on paper, but not that much in reality.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If Ducks had worse D at this point I would easily give up 2 1sts+Jones+more for rental Doughty right now.
Just seems to me some here think because a player is rental he has poor value, when in reality it's not that big of a difference. It's not often players that are traded for huge deals don't end up with the team they were traded to. As clearly the team who wanted the player paid them accordingly. It's a "risk" on paper, but not that much in reality.
there's a big difference in value between signed Doughty and unsigned Doughty. There's a huge "risk" in reality for a player who's been open about thinking he deserves substantially more than the $9M that PK got, that screams "I'm going to market"

it's fine if you don't think so, he's worth substantially more if he's signed

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
he's the best d-man of the league or top 3 to be sure every one agree. He's not going for pieces your not even sure will be good NHL players. And there received on the best bottom player of the league ? sure no for LA

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
LA isnt rebuilding so OP is out to lunch..

They need speed and scoring... a 3 for 1 deal with TML for speedy guys could be the retool LA needs.

And how do you expect them to get faster and more skilled without rebuilding? They need a quick rebuild. 4 years of failure with the same core (Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Quick). One or two of them needs to go. I doubt Kings fans want Kopitar or Quick to go. If I were LA I'd move Carter, even though it was not his fault the team was trash, but he will have high return value and someone will give up something for him. Doughty also can be moved, but he's gonna be their biggest asset.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Exactly. Doughty is not getting traded. Either he re-signs with the kings or signs as a UFA with Team X, no different than Tavares.

An elite star like Doughty isn't going to uproot his life and family for a few months and then put them through it all over again in the summer. He'll play out his contract with the Kings and spend some time in the offseason deciding what's best for him and his family.

And that's all assuming he doesn't sign a contract extension with the kings before it even comes to that point.

Doughty is not getting traded to Toronto. IF he ever wears the blue and white, it will be as a free agent signing.
What makes you think Doughty can't be traded? He doesn't have a no-trade clause. I guarantee you if he doesn't re-sign in LA, he will be traded.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Don't think that's true, our RW is our deepest position.

Nylander
Marner
Brown
Hyman (plays left but shoots right)
Kapanen
Leivo

Is it? Leivo is a LW... So, take out Nylander and Brown, and we have Marner, Kap and Hyman the switch hitter and then Bracco and Korshkov as Prospects

Left Wing.

Hyman
Marleau
Johnsson
JvR
Leivo
Engevell
Timashov
Marchment
Grundstrom

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
is this meant to insinuate that the Leafs should know what it will take to sign him? honest question, I'm not sure what you meant by that
Yes, the Leafs should have a very good idea of what it will take to sign Doughty. It's not that hard to figure out. It's going to be at a minimum around 8 years, and $90M.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yes, the Leafs should have a very good idea of what it will take to sign Doughty. It's not that hard to figure out. It's going to be at a minimum around 8 years, and $90M.
sure...the post you quoted really didn't address that

also, knowing what it will take to re-sign him doesn't mean that he would re-sign. The ball is in his court, and IIRC he made some comments about being wary of playing in the Toronto fishbowl

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Is it? Leivo is a LW... So, take out Nylander and Brown, and we have Marner, Kap and Hyman the switch hitter and then Bracco and Korshkov as Prospects

Left Wing.

Hyman
Marleau
Johnsson
JvR
Leivo
Engevell
Timashov
Marchment
Grundstrom

That LW looks really weak actually, especially when you consider JVR is a UFA and Marleau is just around another year or two. Leivo isn't in the plans. Johnsson is great but looks more like a bottom 6. Grundstrom is the best prospect there and he's basically gonna play a Komarov role. And Hyman would probably be on the right side if we weren't overloaded there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That LW looks really weak actually, especially when you consider JVR is a UFA and Marleau is just around another year or two. Leivo isn't in the plans. Johnsson is great but looks more like a bottom 6. Grundstrom is the best prospect there and he's basically gonna play a Komarov role. And Hyman would probably be on the right side if we weren't overloaded there.

Engevell should end up being a middle six talent as well. He's almost PPG (4 G, 4A in 9 games) with the Marlies, and looked very good since coming over. 21 years old, 6'4"....

I think Marchment has 4th line potential, also 6'4", great skater, hits, can score a few points...

Sure, there isn't anything Elite there, but these guys will be good complimentary pieces, with cheap contracts.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Left Wing.

Hyman
Marleau
Johnsson
JvR
Leivo
Engevell
Timashov
Marchment
Grundstrom
Leivo is right handed just like Hyman is.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
sure...the post you quoted really didn't address that

also, knowing what it will take to re-sign him doesn't mean that he would re-sign. The ball is in his court, and IIRC he made some comments about being wary of playing in the Toronto fishbowl
Doughty has also said he likes playing for Babcock. Does anyone really believe Drew Doughty doesn't love the spotlight?

Bottom line, if the Kings trade Doughty it is very unlikely he won't re-sign with his new team.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Doughty has also said he likes playing for Babcock. Does anyone really believe Drew Doughty doesn't love the spotlight?

Bottom line, if the Kings trade Doughty it is very unlikely he won't re-sign with his new team.
I don't know how you can pretend to know that.

I wouldn't be trading as much for 1 year of Drew Doughty's service with the chance of an extension as I would for 7-9 years of his service under team control.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I don't know how you can pretend to know that.

I wouldn't be trading as much for 1 year of Drew Doughty's service with the chance of an extension as I would for 7-9 years of his service under team control.

Look...if a team like Toronto (not pushing for 1 last cup or something) is trading for Doughty with 1 year away from UFA. They already understand and are willing to throw him whatever amount of money he wants. A GM knows that making a trade like that, you have to resign the player at all costs. So really it's a moot point.

And if LA is trading Doughty...it's going to cost a lot. It will be a painful return. Likely one of Marner/Nylander(my choice)+ Liljegren + 1st + prospect (with another pick depending on prospect)

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it's close. Liljegren + Korshkov/Rasanen + Leafs 1st '18 + cond. Leafs 2nd '19 (1st if Leafs win the Cup).

Similar to the Howden + Hajek + TB 1st + cond. TB 2nd deal.

And no, that's not a signed Doughty, Leafs fans.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Look...if a team like Toronto (not pushing for 1 last cup or something) is trading for Doughty with 1 year away from UFA. They already understand and are willing to throw him whatever amount of money he wants. A GM knows that making a trade like that, you have to resign the player at all costs. So really it's a moot point.

And if LA is trading Doughty...it's going to cost a lot. It will be a painful return. Likely one of Marner/Nylander(my choice)+ Liljegren + 1st + prospect (with another pick depending on prospect)
you guys know that the player gets to decide if he wants to sign right?...like it's not just "here's the requisite amount of money, you're now obligated to sign with us"

There's a lot beyond the money that can affect that decision, and as you mention Toronto's not in a position that we're chasing one last cup, we need to build for a while. If we traded for Doughty and he didn't sign here, that probably means that we'd be looking at another bottom 10 finish phase for a few years to restock the talent that it took to get 1 year of Doughty before our team was even peaking.

I'm not of the opinion that we should trade for Doughty at all because of the cost of doing so, he might be a guy that we look at as a UFA, but if we're trading for him it's for a signed version. We need 7-9 years of service, not 1

Reactions: biotk

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Kings are in a similar spot to the habs with key players (albeit better players on better contracts) locked in long term which makes a rebuild difficult.

The irony is that the best vet/star to keep around for the rebuild is dd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad