Doug Weight

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Because the 2010 lineup was atrocious. Also, let's not pretend that he accomplished something wonderful last year. The team missed the playoffs.

...Specifically and exactly because of the massive hole that capuano put the team in 1st half of the year.

If you reject that fact go get a lifetime subscription to The Enquirer.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
No, he didn't. The majority of the team that is playing well now played very poorly. Bailey, Lee, Leddy, and Boychuk were all bad in the playoffs that year. Ironically Bailey and Lee now form our first line, and Leddy has been Norris caliber since Weight took over. That's not a coincidence.

Amazing what happens when you establish a second line that is as dangerous as your first line. We had been screaming for a second line center and a legit winger for JT. It all fell into place once Barzal took over. Ladd, Eberle are new. Stop comparing these two team as if they are equal and Cappy had the same team that Weight has.

You are acting like if we lost Barzal (god forbid) for the season this success would continue. I give that kid a lot of credit for where we are today.

I am not downplaying Weight either but don’t downplay Cappy as if the two 100 point seasons were despite him.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Amazing what happens when you establish a second line that is as dangerous as your first line. We had been screaming for a second line center and a legit winger for JT. It all fell into place once Barzal took over. Ladd, Eberle are new. Stop comparing these two team as if they are equal and Cappy had the same team that Weight has.

You are acting like if we lost Barzal (god forbid) for the season this success would continue. I give that kid a lot of credit for where we are today.

I am not downplaying Weight either but don’t downplay Cappy as if the two 100 point seasons were despite him.

I haven't read this entire discussion, but you're making it seem like if Cappy was still our coach, Barzal would be playing the same as he is right now. Cappy ruined every kid that played for him sans Tavares, who was nearly impossible to ruin. Yes, the roster is better, but Cappy would be benching Barzal every third game and playing him on the fourth line. Weight definitely seems to bring more of a "sense of freedom" to the everyday routine. I know you're not downplaying Weight, but I think you're giving Capuano too much credit.

The only thing I'll ever give Capuano credit for is the way he handled the goaltending situation. I never had an issue with who he picked to play any given night, even when we had our three-headed goalie monster.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I haven't read this entire discussion, but you're making it seem like if Cappy was still our coach, Barzal would be playing the same as he is right now. Cappy ruined every kid that played for him sans Tavares, who was nearly impossible to ruin. Yes, the roster is better, but Cappy would be benching Barzal every third game and playing him on the fourth line. Weight definitely seems to bring more of a "sense of freedom" to the everyday routine. I know you're not downplaying Weight, but I think you're giving Capuano too much credit.

The only thing I'll ever give Capuano credit for is the way he handled the goaltending situation. I never had an issue with who he picked to play any given night, even when we had our three-headed goalie monster.

Cappy was also the master of the offsides challenge. Almost single-handedly won that Florida playoff game challenging that goal. :sarcasm:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
.... Cappy ruined every kid that played for him sans Tavares, who was nearly impossible to ruin.

.....but Cappy would be benching Barzal every third game

Cappy would be benching Barzal is ridiculous speculation on your part

JT aside who praised Cappy often, I wouldn’t say Cappy ruined these players (all draft picks since Cappy was named head coach of Bridgeport in 2007 and interim and the head coach in 2010. You said he ruined everyone but JT....

Josh Bailey
Kyle Okposo
Anders Lee
Travis Hamonic
Casey Cizekas
Calvin de Haan
Brock Nelson

So who did he ruin exactly and how?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Cappy would be benching Barzal is ridiculous speculation on your part

JT aside who praised Cappy often, I wouldn’t say Cappy ruined these players (all draft picks since Cappy was named head coach of Bridgeport in 2007 and interim and the head coach in 2010. You said he ruined everyone but JT....

Josh Bailey
Kyle Okposo
Anders Lee
Travis Hamonic
Casey Cizekas
Calvin de Haan
Brock Nelson

So who did he ruin exactly and how?

I'll answer each one.

Josh Bailey - everyone knows how I feel about him. He sucked SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED until last year. SUCKED. I'm thrilled with the way he's playing now, but don't act like he played well under Capuano. Bailey seems to go into every game with a gameplan. Before that, he relied on his instincts, which were getting worse and worse every year. Weight has certainly helped Bailey become a good player, mainly because I think Bailey plays a similar style to what Weight was when he was playing.

Kyle Okposo - he had some serious ups and downs. I think other than 2013-14, when he was on that monster line with Tavares and Vanek, he played his best hockey his rookie year when Scott Gordon was our coach. I was not a Gordon fan, although I thought he was unjustly fired, Kyle plays much better when he's in a regimented system, which Gordon had. Capuano had a "chickens running around without heads" system, which doesn't work for Kyle. It's a huge reason why he's not doing well in Buffalo.

Anders Lee - Although he did score 25 goals his first full year, he looked awful in 2015-16, and the first few weeks of last season he was absolutely invisible. Although he was already picking it up a little, once Capuano got fired, he went off. Same with Ladd, although I think Ladd was playing seriously hurt.

Travis Hamonic - Hamonic I'll give you. He got worse because his style isn't sustainable. It had very little to do with coaching.

Casey Cizikas - Casey has never really been more than a 3C, but that's because that's always what his game was supposed to be. That doesn't necessarily take coaching, he always had the style to play where he is now.

Calvin deHaan - Do you remember how awesome deHaan was his rookie year? His offense has stagnated. I expected him to be more of a 7-12g, 30-35a kind of player. He's essentially a 3g, 15a, although a very steady one. I think he had a lot more potential than what he's become, and I don't think Capuano did him any favors. I'm sure part of it is on deHaan too, though.

Brock Nelson - He's actually done worse under Weight, so I'll give you that one too. Not sure what's going on with him.

What I should have said, to be fair, was that Capuano ruins players after their rookie year (i.e. Strome), or after they have a career year (i.e. Brock). I'm definitely in the mindset of the team winning in spite of Capuano, not because of anything he did. Weight has clearly brought a new, smart, fun, exciting mindset to this team. There have been a ton of interviews with multiple players saying there is a different feeling in the locker room. Barzal has said he's gotten a ton more feedback than from Weight than he did from Capuano, and don't forget Barzal was up for a long time even if he only played two games last season.

And how many leads did we used to give up under Capuano? A gajillion? This team now is so much more mentally tough.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
It helps Bailey is now paired with JT because we have Eberle paired with Barzal. Most opponents cannot match against two lines which is the main reason this team has taken off. You guys try to equate this team to 2015-16 Islanders and it was all the coaches fault back then and that is a ridiculous argument. I think the two 100 point seasons were a huge overachievement and the coach had a big part to do with that.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
In evaluating Weight, I would take a closer look at Minnesota game.

(1) PP reached the level of utter ridiculousness, 2 goals in 30+, dead last in the league, 5 shorties (in that particular game it was 0-5 with 2 shorties).

Since that game the Isles are FIRST in PP in the entire league, truly Jekyll and Hyde.

(2) More importantly, Minnesota game marked the end of Tavares-Eberle experiment.

Since that game we have 2 settled and well-oiled lines, envy of the whole league.

In other words, Weight can adapt pretty fast, with great results.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Weight needs to keep things stable on the back-end...

He should ride Halak, and play Greiss only on B2B games until Jaro struggles...

Same goes with the D...pick 2 of the bottom 4 and just play them consistently...

This constant shuffling has been pointless as no one has stood out positively...

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Weight needs to keep things stable on the back-end...

He should ride Halak, and play Greiss only on B2B games until Jaro struggles...

Same goes with the D...pick 2 of the bottom 4 and just play them consistently...

This constant shuffling has been pointless as no one has stood out positively...

What happens playoff time if we get an injury ?
We complain that we had these D men all year but didn't give them any playing time and now they are thrown into the playoffs .
That was how we used to do it.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
In evaluating Weight, I would take a closer look at Minnesota game.

(1) PP reached the level of utter ridiculousness, 2 goals in 30+, dead last in the league, 5 shorties (in that particular game it was 0-5 with 2 shorties).

Since that game the Isles are FIRST in PP in the entire league, truly Jekyll and Hyde.

(2) More importantly, Minnesota game marked the end of Tavares-Eberle experiment.

Since that game we have 2 settled and well-oiled lines, envy of the whole league.

In other words, Weight can adapt pretty fast, with great results.

Weight does seem to adapt pretty fast .
Finally we have a coach that reads our posts.

Reactions: dood

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
What happens playoff time if we get an injury ?
We complain that we had these D men all year but didn't give them any playing time and now they are thrown into the playoffs .
That was how we used to do it.

You can gives guys time at the end of the year, so the others can rest...

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I hear ya, but if we are 2 - 5 points ahead of 9th place
Or maybe we are in a position to have home ice advantage in
the opening playoff round do you let off the gas ?
How would you feel if Mayfield was pulled out of (Donovan Alley)
After only having played 15 games all year and with 5 games left
Gave up one of those (I can't believe he did that plays )and we lose
3-2 in regulation . I believe the rotation is fine . Not ideal but fine.
I do however wish the minutes that the 3rd pair is getting every game could just be a little less. On the other side though,
Leddy and Boychuk and Dehaan are playing far less minutes then I thought they would have to this season .So the trade off of less minutes for the first pair in exchange for a few bumps I can accept.
You know what , we are winning , Weight is using guys for the long
haul . Not a sprint to just squeak into the playoffs.
As long as our 3 top D men stay injury free we are ok for now. When 1 of them go down our D will suffer a hit.
I really feel Barzal is the secret of our success . He is contagious
LGI

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In the 72 games in which Weight has been the coach, the team has let up 5+ goals 15 times, or 20.83% of the time. That's troubling to me. The team has won exactly 1 of those games, so it's nearly a guaranteed loss every fifth game.

Columbus has beaten us 3 times by scoring 5+ goals.

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
In the 72 games in which Weight has been the coach, the team has let up 5+ goals 15 times, or 20.83% of the time. That's troubling to me. The team has won exactly 1 of those games, so it's nearly a guaranteed loss every fifth game.

Columbus has beaten us 3 times by scoring 5+ goals.

I was watching this trend last year, it is a major problem, and is becoming a coaching trademark. It is against the same teams Dallas, Carolina, Toronto, CBJ, Tampa... faster teams for sure.

I think the Islanders are a very poorly coached team but Doug Weight is a savvy matchup guy and that makes up for the lack of discipline, the turnovers and the many lapses on defensive coverage

Reactions: bigtim1988

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was watching this trend last year, it is a major problem, and is becoming a coaching trademark. It is against the same teams Dallas, Carolina, Toronto, CBJ, Tampa... faster teams for sure.

I think the Islanders are a very poorly coached team but Doug Weight is a savvy matchup guy and that makes up for the lack of discipline, the turnovers and the many lapses on defensive coverage

People, including myself, were hopeful that the trend last season was simply because the team was adjusting to the new style Weight was preaching. Now we're approaching midway through his first full season and the trend has continued...getting worse lately.

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
People, including myself, were hopeful that the trend last season was simply because the team was adjusting to the new style Weight was preaching. Now we're approaching midway through his first full season and the trend has continued...getting worse lately.

Well with Cappy the team was much better defensively but the games did not produce anywhere near the offense we are getting now. He also has a bench of assistant coaches who have never been head coaches, he really needs that Ramsey, Dave Lewis, or Larry Robinson type of sage wisdom, like Lavvy had with Laperriere.

I saw Dallas and CBJ back to back and thought that was going to end badly. LA... we won't score at all.

I saw 5 goals tonight, and one was because Boychuk was maimed in the other end, one because Quine took a bad penalty, and 3 because forwards failed to cover their players... the defense is not good but they aren't hurting us as much as the defensive talents of the forwards, especially Lee, Nelson, and JHS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bigtim1988

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Weight needs to reign it in a little. The Islanders are playing a very high-risk style that's entertaining at times, but susceptible to many scoring chances against. I get that our goalies have been sub-par but our team defense has been worse in my opinion. Would the goaltending be better if we tightened up defensively? I think so. Greiss/Halak are being put in a very tough situation where they are constantly under fire and also under pressure to "finally steal a game."

I hope the coaching staff implements a more defensive/conservative approach going forward.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Since Weight got promoted, only Colorado and Arizona allowed more GA than the Isles. Given their W-L record during that span and their offense – imagine where they would have been if they were merely average in their own end.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
the thing is, i think if you tighten up defense, the offense will dry up. I think its one or the other--not both.

If they tighten up on D, they'll struggle to produce offensively. I think if he tries to get them to tighten up on D, they'll overthink the entire thing, end up screwing up in the process.

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
the thing is, i think if you tighten up defense, the offense will dry up. I think its one or the other--not both.

If they tighten up on D, they'll struggle to produce offensively. I think if he tries to get them to tighten up on D, they'll overthink the entire thing, end up screwing up in the process.

Yep tightening up the defense will present Cappy type games, lower scoring, and one goal makes or breaks you, you are right, may not be able to be both ways

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017

What is better:

— Top-3 offense and bottom-3 defense, or
— around 5-10 offense and 15-20 defense?

I believe the answer is clear...

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
What is better:

— Top-3 offense and bottom-3 defense, or
— around 5-10 offense and 15-20 defense?

I believe the answer is clear...

Darn , I don't know the answer . When you say it's clear
I feel even worse .

LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad