Doug Weight

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So you are basically saying we need something in between Cappy and Weight... if we nosedive any further, would a bold move to fire Weight and bring in Darryl Sutter be too bold

I was specifically talking about the PK, sorry.

I've always liked Sutter's gameplan in LA, so I'd love him as a coach.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I was specifically talking about the PK, sorry.

I've always liked Sutter's gameplan in LA, so I'd love him as a coach.

I feel that firing Weight and bringing in Sutter after the new year would bring us a big Cup run.... it would be a very bold move, since Weight has a good record but you can see this unraveling fast... we didn't fire Cappy when he didn't make the playoffs that one year, I think LA had a good record when they fired Terry Murray and brought in Sutter... but once again a move that requires a lot of guts and taking a lot of heat.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Honestly, I think Gallant would have a been a good choice looking back.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Honestly, I think Gallant would have a been a good choice looking back.

In Vegas he has nothing to lose, I think if the Panthers knocked the Isles out that year, Gallant would have been hired to replace Cappy at that juncture when Cappy was fired.

I think we are looking at a mudslide that we may not get out of with Weight's system

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Do not think Doug weight is the issue. System wise maybe he’s not the best but aside from the bums who have no compete and shouldn’t be in the nhl he gets the most out of his players.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Another blowout from a DW coached team. As bad as Cappy was, the blowout percentage under weight's tenure is VERY high. I did the math before the season started and it's gotten even worse.

In over 20% of the games he's coached the team has allowed 5 or more goals. They've won one of those games.

Reactions: IODCPiper

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Do not think Doug weight is the issue. System wise maybe he’s not the best but aside from the bums who have no compete and shouldn’t be in the nhl he gets the most out of his players.

Not going to buy into the "bum" thing. We have just as many as every other team. This is how it started with Cappy, excuses. I don't care if DW finish this season above 500 and gets us in the playoffs. I'm not a fan of his at all.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just brutal numbers. Also, bewildering. How does a team play solid defense one night and then collapse another, and so frequently. The coaching is minor league for sure.

Unfortunately, I think it's very similar to Capuano when he took over. High flying offense and the defense struggles. He'll eventually adjust, just like Capuano did, and cut down on the goals against but it will hurt the offense. Feels like a retread to me right now and I'm wondering how long until he figures out he has to make the adjustment and what adjustment he's going to make. Capuano's adjustment got us a playoff series win, then fell flat.

Just wish we had an experienced coach who has a proven track record, who knows what they want to implement and doesn't have to learn on the job.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Unfortunately, I think it's very similar to Capuano when he took over. High flying offense and the defense struggles. He'll eventually adjust, just like Capuano did, and cut down on the goals against but it will hurt the offense. Feels like a retread to me right now and I'm wondering how long until he figures out he has to make the adjustment and what adjustment he's going to make. Capuano's adjustment got us a playoff series win, then fell flat.

Just wish we had an experienced coach who has a proven track record, who knows what they want to implement and doesn't have to learn on the job.

Are you thinking in terms of a curly haired feller who had 5 brothers play in the NHL LOL

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Just brutal numbers. Also, bewildering. How does a team play solid defense one night and then collapse another, and so frequently. The coaching is minor league for sure.

It is a schizophrenic coaching battle, I think there are nights Cronin takes over, and they play a Cappy style game... and God forbid Cronin took over, JT playing with Cizikas and Clutter that was really bad..

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It is a schizophrenic coaching battle, I think there are nights Cronin takes over, and they play a Cappy style game... and God forbid Cronin took over, JT playing with Cizikas and Clutter that was really bad..

That was obviously just to send a message, lol. I wouldn't take anything that happened the last ten minutes of that game to be anything but telling guys their spots in the lineup are not given. Actually a good message to send to a team that played so poorly.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are you thinking in terms of a curly haired feller who had 5 brothers play in the NHL LOL

I'm a big Sutter fan if that's who you're referring to...though he doesn't have curly hair. There wasn't a particular coach in mind when I wrote it, but a few of them. Laviolette was available recently, Sutter, Hitchcock, Gallant, Carlyle, Boudreau...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm a big Sutter fan if that's who you're referring to...though he doesn't have curly hair. There wasn't a particular coach in mind when I wrote it, but a few of them. Laviolette was available recently, Sutter, Hitchcock, Gallant, Carlyle, Boudreau...

I know you like Sutter LOL... he would turn this team around, he could take the current lineup, add Demers and have them winning games, if we had to deal Nelson to get Demers, he could take the C line and make them an effective 3rd line, and then take quine, prince and a fighter as a seldom used 4th line, with Beau going to Bridge to develop

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That was obviously just to send a message, lol. I wouldn't take anything that happened the last ten minutes of that game to be anything but telling guys their spots in the lineup are not given. Actually a good message to send to a team that played so poorly.

I know but I think Weight and Cronin are philosophically so different that the team is suffering from MPD on a night to night basis.. get killed with Weight's system and then play Boston and have Cronin put defense in play..., not sore goals against Boston and then have Weight open it up against Philly

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Here are the updated numbers for those who care:

Dough Weight has been a coach of the Islanders for 79 total games. In those games five or more goals have been scored against the team 18 times, or ~23% of the time. The team has managed a win once while allowing five or more goals, and managed just 4 points total when allowing five or more goals.

In the 2016-17 season Weight coached for 40 games. The team allowed five or more goals eight times, or 20% of the time.
In the 2017-18 season Weight has coached for 39 games. The team has allowed five or more goals ten times, or 25.6% of the time.

Here is every game we've allowed 5 or more goals:

2016-17
2/3 - Detroit 5-4 L
2/4 - Carolina 5-4 OTL
2/6 - Toronto 6-5 OTW
2/14 - Toronto 7-1 L
2/25 - Columbus 7-0 L
3/5 - Calgary 5-2 L
3/13 - Carolina 8-4 L
3/30 - Philadelphia 6-3 L

2017-18
10/6 - Columbus 5-0 L
10/26 - Minnesota 6-4 L
11/10 - Dallas 5-0 L
12/1 - Ottawa 6-5 L
12/5 - Tampa Bay 6-2 L
12/13 - Dallas 5-2 L
12/14 - Columbus 6-4 L
12/19 - Detroit 6-3 L
12/21 - Anaheim 5-4 OTL
12/31 - Colorado 6-1 L

Boychuk wasn't placed on IR until 12/28 and de Haan was injured at the end of the Kings games on 12/16. So we've been missing de Haan for three of these games and Boychuk for one. The team was averaging a blowout ~21% of the time before de Haan's injury.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Here are the updated numbers for those who care:

Dough Weight has been a coach of the Islanders for 79 total games. In those games five or more goals have been scored against the team 18 times, or ~23% of the time. The team has managed a win once while allowing five or more goals, and managed just 4 points total when allowing five or more goals.

In the 2016-17 season Weight coached for 40 games. The team allowed five or more goals eight times, or 20% of the time.
In the 2017-18 season Weight has coached for 39 games. The team has allowed five or more goals ten times, or 25.6% of the time.

Here is every game we've allowed 5 or more goals:

2016-17
2/3 - Detroit 5-4 L
2/4 - Carolina 5-4 OTL
2/6 - Toronto 6-5 OTW
2/14 - Toronto 7-1 L
2/25 - Columbus 7-0 L
3/5 - Calgary 5-2 L
3/13 - Carolina 8-4 L
3/30 - Philadelphia 6-3 L

2017-18
10/6 - Columbus 5-0 L
10/26 - Minnesota 6-4 L
11/10 - Dallas 5-0 L
12/1 - Ottawa 6-5 L
12/5 - Tampa Bay 6-2 L
12/13 - Dallas 5-2 L
12/14 - Columbus 6-4 L
12/19 - Detroit 6-3 L
12/21 - Anaheim 5-4 OTL
12/31 - Colorado 6-1 L

Boychuk wasn't placed on IR until 12/28 and de Haan was injured at the end of the Kings games on 12/16. So we've been missing de Haan for three of these games and Boychuk for one. The team was averaging a blowout ~21% of the time before de Haan's injury.

This is it in a nutshell, it is a system that allows for bad neutral ice play and transition... the early wins was the new coach smell... the Isles could have fired Cappy and hired the aronjudge poster and he could ramble incoherently between periods and the team would win some games.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I wonder how long it will take before Weight realizes that maybe Beau, JHS, Quine, Prince, Bernier, are not necessarily the problem, and benches Nelson instead???

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011

Unfortunately Weight is looking like another Cappy, with a bit more common sense...

I'm sure there will be some adjustments made at some point, but like Cappy, they will be minor, and that is the real piss-off...

This staff and Cappy are hard headed and stick to their "systems" no matter what...
It's been years that the D has neglected covering the front of the net, same goes with the forwards covering the point, same goes with the stupid PP setup, and the even dumber PK approach...

This team has been terrible over the years at doing the basics, which is why i would have preferred almost anyone with some previous NHL experience over Douggie

The more i think about it, the only real difference between Weight and Cappy, is Weight is not as loyal to dead-weight players, ala Strait...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I like weight and I like that he has incorporated an attacking transition and possession style. But his system needs some tweaks and additions in personnel to maximize. Not to forget, for most of this first half the goaltending has been awful. A good goalie would mask some of the inherent scoring chances against that come with an attacking system.

Also, to capitalize on such an aggressive system you need sound, smart puck moving d men. They have that in de Haan (to an extent), Leddy is a very good puck carrier and decent mover, but he’s not sharp in his own end, and Pelech is the only other d man capable of playing that smooth transition game; Pelech is OK, but could be better.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
New coach smell is wearing off. Weight is a screamer and that gets old quickly. Weight has no idea how to adapt his coaching “style” to the team in front of him.

The defense is AHL caliber yet Weight stays with a run and gun style.

All this falls on Snow for hiring a guy with zero expience and inserting 3 rookie d men into the lineup opening night.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
In the Jets game their analyst said he thinks the Isles might be the last team in the league using the left wing lock. When you have Weight as your head coach he needs to be surrounded by quality assistants, he brought in good friends but did he bring in good coaches, I do not know.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I know you like Sutter LOL... he would turn this team around, he could take the current lineup, add Demers and have them winning games, if we had to deal Nelson to get Demers, he could take the C line and make them an effective 3rd line, and then take quine, prince and a fighter as a seldom used 4th line, with Beau going to Bridge to develop
I have seen several suggestions regarding Jason Demers as a solution to our defensive problems. Demers is getting bashed over on the Florida social media and hockey blogs for being soft and timid in his defensive style. Basically a puck moving defenseman that uses his stick instead of his body in most defensive plays, kind of a Brock Nelson of the blue line. Just saying'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad