Doug Weight

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Underwhelming would be a compliment. What is going on with this guy? He's acting like Capuano 2.0: Bad PP, biazarre lineups, gritty veterans, "we played well" post game comments, starting off slow, being a defensive mess in the 3rd, bad breakouts, bad zone entry etc. etc. etc.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I have been very disappointed with him too but i think its just early in the season and hes trying to figure out what works best. If we are still talking about this late next month than we have a problem.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Coaches get conservative when they have something to lose.

what I don't get is this is Doug Weight. The guy should not be worried about losing anything. I mean he should be rich from his NHL contracts and being regarded as one of the best USA centers of all time. So in my mind if I was Doug Weight I would be thinking "pffff" If I lose this job big deal! Let's play agressive and if we lose we gave it all we have and made them stop us. Anyway, just my 2 cents

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I considered changing my avatar and signature during the pre season. Not now. There are lots of rookies which causes problems but I am seeing bad coaching everywhere I look.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
what I don't get is this is Doug Weight. The guy should not be worried about losing anything. I mean he should be rich from his NHL contracts and being regarded as one of the best USA centers of all time. So in my mind if I was Doug Weight I would be thinking "pffff" If I lose this job big deal! Let's play agressive and if we lose we gave it all we have and made them stop us. Anyway, just my 2 cents

I don't think its a financial worry, I think its natural not to want to be fired, especially if you are doing something you apparently like to do, like coaching Hockey.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I considered changing my avatar and signature during the pre season. Not now. There are lots of rookies which causes problems but I am seeing bad coaching everywhere I look.

This is the worst coached Islander team I have ever seen including Sterling... they make mistakes every 30 seconds, every player is all in for themselves, the lines don't make sense... it was the new coach smell that resulted in the success of Doug Weight... One of the Mets' worst managers was Bud Harrelson their own guy took over from Davey Johnson and got hot, they kept him and the Mets declined rapidly.

This is where you fire him 30 games in and get Darryl Sutter to clean up... Sutter is the master of cleanup on aisle 4

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Underwhelming would be a compliment. What is going on with this guy? He's acting like Capuano 2.0: Bad PP, biazarre lineups, gritty veterans, "we played well" post game comments, starting off slow, being a defensive mess in the 3rd, bad breakouts, bad zone entry etc. etc. etc.

Let's see...Another employee hired by the same front office.

If only we could figure out what the constant is throughout the past decade of disappointing results.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have been very disappointed with him too but i think its just early in the season and hes trying to figure out what works best. If we are still talking about this late next month than we have a problem.

The question is...

Why was he a better coach last season when he knew less?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This is the worst coached Islander team I have ever seen including Sterling... they make mistakes every 30 seconds, every player is all in for themselves, the lines don't make sense... it was the new coach smell that resulted in the success of Doug Weight... One of the Mets' worst managers was Bud Harrelson their own guy took over from Davey Johnson and got hot, they kept him and the Mets declined rapidly.

This is where you fire him 30 games in and get Darryl Sutter to clean up... Sutter is the master of cleanup on aisle 4
I am not sure he would come here. Let's face it, flawed team, flawed owners, and no one knows where we will even be in 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svengoolie

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

that look on sutters face alone.... let's give dougie a few more games .... heck cappy got how many seasons

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

Really. Let’s give a coach a chance here. Our cross town rival coach has been to a cup finals and is 1-5-2 start. Chill out.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Really. Let’s give a coach a chance here. Our cross town rival coach has been to a cup finals and is 1-5-2 start. Chill out.

Not to mention Claude Julien and his 1-5-1 start. Sure, Doug Weight could be a complete failure... but let's keep some perspective. Nothing that has occurred thus far is a solid determination of Weight as a coach yet.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I was giving him 30 games, I think the degradation of this team can be really bad in 30 games, usually an optimist here, but we have a team that is going the route of individual play and have an apathetic franchise player, with holes on the roster.... if you know you will lose JT in 50 games, you have to decide do we go all in for one last time or deal JT for the rebuild. If you go all in, you bring in Sutter and trade for a few proven vets and then the teams blows up the next year.

Vigneault was in the playoffs last year and is proven... but if Isles are like 12-17-5 at some point, that will be pivotal crossroads in the season

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You've got to give him a bit more time. These guys are all learning a new system. The PP did look a lot better against the Rangers, and I'm not just saying that because they scored. They were set properly and getting rubber on net. My biggest concern right now is how the team is getting the puck out of their own zone. Their breakout isn't fooling anyone, and teams are right on top of them before they can get it past the blueline. It's causing a ton of turnovers and keeping them pinned in their own zone.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Newsflash. Every NHL head coach is enamoured with vets. Every NHL coach has his pets. Remember Lavy with Bates, Nolan with Hilbert. You guys just don't realize it because you don't watch every single one of the opponents games. Julien had Chris Kelly in Boston. AV and Tanner Glass. You can literally do this with every coach. You all just had silly anti-Cappy blinders on.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Newsflash. Every NHL head coach is enamoured with vets. Every NHL coach has his pets. Remember Lavy with Bates, Nolan with Hilbert. You guys just don't realize it because you don't watch every single one of the opponents games. Julien had Chris Kelly in Boston. AV and Tanner Glass. You can literally do this with every coach. You all just had silly anti-Cappy blinders on.
All those you mentioned are teams that are going nowhere.

Reactions: Eberzal

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015

most of those teams didn't play 7 d and have a powerplay that has 1 goal in 7 games. all coaches have their pets yes, but winning coaches usually counteract that by y'know... winning

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
There's only 31 NHL head coaching jobs. The question is, does ownership want to pony up for a premium coach? Probably not

He is also a west coaster with family and such. One thing he certainly is, is family oriented, more than many.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like how he willingly deploys 11 forwards and 7 defenseman after not doing it at all in the preseason.

Reactions: eoin92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad