Doug Weight

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It obvious he struggles coaching on the defensive side of things.

I don't believe both Halak and Greiss just fell of a cliff at the same time.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
While I am glad Weight demoted JHS
(I expect a lot out of this kid and felt he was struggling on the 3rd line) ,I also thought the underwhelming Beau should also have been demoted.

And how about calling out the vets for the repeated slow starts, that see the isles spot their opponents 2-3 goals before the isles pushback?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
It obvious he struggles coaching on the defensive side of things.

I don't believe both Halak and Greiss just fell of a cliff at the same time.
I think they did. As of a few game ago Halak was top 10 in even strength SV%, dead last in low danger SV%, and at the bottom in PK SV%. Weak goals and PK goals while maintaining good even strength numbers does not look like defensive issues to me.

Reactions: NYI JT91

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think they did. As of a few game ago Halak was top 10 in even strength SV%, dead last in low danger SV%, and at the bottom in PK SV%. Weak goals and PK goals while maintaining good even strength numbers does not look like defensive issues to me.

Because I think the defense allows golden high danger scoring chances, which are by far the most difficult to save.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I thought Richardson was brought in to help with the defensive system. The Isles are terrible at moving the puck out of their zone.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I also think it is time to break up the lines. The top two lines are good offensively but trainwrecks defensively. How about spread out the scoring and put a defensively responsible player on each line.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I also think it is time to break up the lines. The top two lines are good offensively but trainwrecks defensively. How about spread out the scoring and put a defensively responsible player on each line.

Do the Isles have any defensively responsible players who can shift into the top lines? Just seems there might be a greater impact to chemistry than actual improvement to defensive play.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have been slow to jump on Weight's bandwagon. Thought last year's "pick me up" was due to the new coach smell. And early success this year, was a combination of the league not being aware of us rolling 2 scoring lines and a schedule that was spread out. As the season has picked up and we are playing more games per week, while the word is out on Barzal's line... the league has adjusted to us.

When your team gives up 5 goals or more almost every night, this really is about the coaching and clearly about the system in place. Our system would not work with 3 Norris trophy dmen and Patrick Roy in his prime in net. At least 50% of the goals that have been scored on us have been slam dunks... the worst goal I have seen in 10 years, was the 2nd Hampus Lindholm goal, he had 3 or 4 seconds to frame the shot it seemed. Our goalies are not great but it is not like we have Chad Johnson and Michael Neuvirth as our tandem, our defense is not great but also we don't have Gervais/Meyer/Dead Witt and Dustin Kohn.

The level of discipline and man coverage accountability is the worst i have seen, often times it is forwards that are the culprits of the goals scored, especially Anders Lee. There is something about this system that is not sustainable for a whole season. I also am getting the feeling that young players (outside of Barzal) will not progress under the system and coach. JHS and Beau have badly regressed, guys like Quine and Prince are very short leashes.

I have always been a Cappy apologist and he is not a great coach either, but I would rather have his system where each goal matters, they hit and forecheck, and the opposition shot quality is more challenged. Yes, it is fun to see Josh Bailey in the top 5 in scoring, but it is coming at a grave price

Reactions: MartyC

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I have been slow to jump on Weight's bandwagon. Thought last year's "pick me up" was due to the new coach smell. And early success this year, was a combination of the league not being aware of us rolling 2 scoring lines and a schedule that was spread out. As the season has picked up and we are playing more games per week, while the word is out on Barzal's line... the league has adjusted to us.

When your team gives up 5 goals or more almost every night, this really is about the coaching and clearly about the system in place. Our system would not work with 3 Norris trophy dmen and Patrick Roy in his prime in net. At least 50% of the goals that have been scored on us have been slam dunks... the worst goal I have seen in 10 years, was the 2nd Hampus Lindholm goal, he had 3 or 4 seconds to frame the shot it seemed. Our goalies are not great but it is not like we have Chad Johnson and Michael Neuvirth as our tandem, our defense is not great but also we don't have Gervais/Meyer/Dead Witt and Dustin Kohn.

The level of discipline and man coverage accountability is the worst i have seen, often times it is forwards that are the culprits of the goals scored, especially Anders Lee. There is something about this system that is not sustainable for a whole season. I also am getting the feeling that young players (outside of Barzal) will not progress under the system and coach. JHS and Beau have badly regressed, guys like Quine and Prince are very short leashes.

I have always been a Cappy apologist and he is not a great coach either, but I would rather have his system where each goal matters, they hit and forecheck, and the opposition shot quality is more challenged. Yes, it is fun to see Josh Bailey in the top 5 in scoring, but it is coming at a grave price

I think there’s a happy medium somewhere between caps system and weights. I think Richardson’s strategy in the D zone is what’s hurting us the most. All 5 players collapse way too low, leaving the opposing teams dmen wide open. I also believe this is why we have so much trouble clearing the zone. The dmen can’t just throw the puck up the boards and expect our forwards to chip the puck out for a clear and a breakout , the forward will pick I.T up along the half boards and be forced to either skate the puck out or make a pass through the middle of the ice on the breakout which isn’t good.

Personally I believe that’s why they turn the puck over in the D zone so much. All 5 players are far too close together

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think there’s a happy medium somewhere between caps system and weights. I think Richardson’s strategy in the D zone is what’s hurting us the most. All 5 players collapse way too low, leaving the opposing teams dmen wide open. I also believe this is why we have so much trouble clearing the zone. The dmen can’t just throw the puck up the boards and expect our forwards to chip the puck out for a clear and a breakout , the forward will pick I.T up along the half boards and be forced to either skate the puck out or make a pass through the middle of the ice on the breakout which isn’t good.

Personally I believe that’s why they turn the puck over in the D zone so much. All 5 players are far too close together

I don't mind having the guys lower, because I do think the lower breakout has helped lead to more offense. The issue I have is that the guys just generally don't seem to know who is responsible for which opposing player. How many blown coverage goals have we seen? How many odd many rushes? When looking at last night's goals against, the first Lindholm goal was because of an over-extended Mayfield at the blue line and Barzal not picking up Cogliano well enough streaking into the slot. The Kase goal was because it's a 4 on 3 where Leddy was responsible for 2 guys, with Tavare and Lee stuck deep in the offensive zone. Lindholm's second goal was a terrible goal to give up by Halak, but nobody even attempted to pressure the point. Bailey is thinking it's going to be a pass to the other D and goes there, while Tavares just ties up with the center, and the two D are standing around doing nothing. How do these guys not know who is supposed to be covered by who in a 4 on 4 scenario? Rakell's goal to tie the game late is Pelech floating to the bottom of the circle, despite three players being behind him. That put Mayfield and Bailey in terrible spots with multiple people to cover. The last goal in OT isn't too big of a deal, simply because it's OT and sometimes it just doesn't go your way (Halak should've saved it). That's four goals out of 5 where there are mistakes of guys not understanding who to cover and where to go. None of the regulation goals came from being pinned in their own end.

Still, I hate the 1-1-3 neutral zone system they employ for whatever dumb reason. It gives these teams too much room to maneuver.

The PK doesn't help at all either. We're dead last in the NHL with a 72.8% PK, so nearly 30% of the time a goal is going in when we're shorthanded. That's an incredibly bad rate. I don't know why they're continuing this PK system. It gives way too much time to the opposing players when they move on the wall near the faceoff circle. There's all kinds of space. They also don't know who to cover when the puck moves lower in the zone. Just abysmal.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I refuse to believe it’s the system when our goalies are getting clear looks at wrist shots from the blue line and still letting them it.

Reactions: Konk

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I refuse to believe it’s the system when our goalies are getting clear looks at wrist shots from the blue line and still letting them it.

They're both compounding each other. The goals from the blue line need to be saved and is probably the starting point to righting the ship.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I don't mind having the guys lower, because I do think the lower breakout has helped lead to more offense. The issue I have is that the guys just generally don't seem to know who is responsible for which opposing player. How many blown coverage goals have we seen? How many odd many rushes? When looking at last night's goals against, the first Lindholm goal was because of an over-extended Mayfield at the blue line and Barzal not picking up Cogliano well enough streaking into the slot. The Kase goal was because it's a 4 on 3 where Leddy was responsible for 2 guys, with Tavare and Lee stuck deep in the offensive zone. Lindholm's second goal was a terrible goal to give up by Halak, but nobody even attempted to pressure the point. Bailey is thinking it's going to be a pass to the other D and goes there, while Tavares just ties up with the center, and the two D are standing around doing nothing. How do these guys not know who is supposed to be covered by who in a 4 on 4 scenario? Rakell's goal to tie the game late is Pelech floating to the bottom of the circle, despite three players being behind him. That put Mayfield and Bailey in terrible spots with multiple people to cover. The last goal in OT isn't too big of a deal, simply because it's OT and sometimes it just doesn't go your way (Halak should've saved it). That's four goals out of 5 where there are mistakes of guys not understanding who to cover and where to go. None of the regulation goals came from being pinned in their own end.

Still, I hate the 1-1-3 neutral zone system they employ for whatever dumb reason. It gives these teams too much room to maneuver.

The PK doesn't help at all either. We're dead last in the NHL with a 72.8% PK, so nearly 30% of the time a goal is going in when we're shorthanded. That's an incredibly bad rate. I don't know why they're continuing this PK system. It gives way too much time to the opposing players when they move on the wall near the faceoff circle. There's all kinds of space. They also don't know who to cover when the puck moves lower in the zone. Just abysmal.

Completely agree that the coverage is awful. Unfortunately with the pk, dehaan and Kulemin out basically screws us. We need a pker

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Thanks for the analysis

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Completely agree that the coverage is awful. Unfortunately with the pk, dehaan and Kulemin out basically screws us. We need a pker

I think it would take very smart defensive players to know how to keep coverage... like Cizikas... there is no responsibility in this system and the goalies who are below mediocre are left even more to hang out to dry

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think it would take very smart defensive players to know how to keep coverage... like Cizikas... there is no responsibility in this system and the goalies who are below mediocre are left even more to hang out to dry

Agreed. Earlier in the season we were out scoring our mistakes. We can’t outscore our mistakes and all the soft goals from the blue line. It’s too much. I’ve also noticed a lot of puck chasing at the point by the wingers recently and not playing the passing and shooting lanes... I wonder if that’s because they fear any shot from the point

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Agreed. Earlier in the season we were out scoring our mistakes. We can’t outscore our mistakes and all the soft goals from the blue line. It’s too much. I’ve also noticed a lot of puck chasing at the point by the wingers recently and not playing the passing and shooting lanes... I wonder if that’s because they fear any shot from the point

I think we are so confident offensively that the forwards are just leaking out more and looking for breakaways, and they have been chasing the puck a lot more.

That Lindholm 2nd goal last night was the worst goal against the Isles i Have seen in a long time... I had to check if my TV froze because he had more time on his hands than an old timer at the Bristol

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It's just really a terrible system with little upside over the alternatives. The chemistry required in order for it to be effective is just too great and injuries cripple that. It also gives too much room for the opposition to work with for those nice clean looks from prime shooting areas at the faceoff circles. It clogs the middle and the middle point well, but that's about all it does. Complete dumpster fire when the puck goes to goal line. Nobody knows where to go.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It's just really a terrible system with little upside over the alternatives. The chemistry required in order for it to be effective is just too great and injuries cripple that. It also gives too much room for the opposition to work with for those nice clean looks from prime shooting areas at the faceoff circles. It clogs the middle and the middle point well, but that's about all it does. Complete dumpster fire when the puck goes to goal line. Nobody knows where to go.

So you are basically saying we need something in between Cappy and Weight... if we nosedive any further, would a bold move to fire Weight and bring in Darryl Sutter be too bold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad