Doug Weight

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He had zero head coaching experience before being our head coach.

Snow has zero GM experience before being our GM.

Notice a trend here?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It’s almost like there’s no accountability
But that can't be true, ownership specifically said in that open letter that there is accountability in this organization. And they mean it: they plan to send Josh Ho-Sang down to Worcester because THAT'S accountability!!!

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Is there any possibility that somehow Doug Weight and the staff learn from the debacle last year and overhaul the defensive system into something a lot better? I mean, it's not unheard of for a new coach not to do well in his first year and make some adjustments do better the second full year with the team right? Weight won't ever get another NHL job if Isles tank again next year, so he has every incentive in the world to fix it.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Is there any possibility that somehow Doug Weight and the staff learn from the debacle last year and overhaul the defensive system into something a lot better? I mean, it's not unheard of for a new coach not to do well in his first year and make some adjustments do better the second full year with the team right? Weight won't ever get another NHL job if Isles tank again next year, so he has every incentive in the world to fix it.
The system HAS TO change. But man, it was the same system all of last year and all of this year. Giving up tons of chances and tons of shots and tons of goals. I'm not sure this coaching staff has the capacity to implement the necessary changes.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The system HAS TO change. But man, it was the same system all of last year and all of this year. Giving up tons of chances and tons of shots and tons of goals. I'm not sure this coaching staff has the capacity to implement the necessary changes.

He waited until February to make any changes to the system, despite the team bleeding goals and shots for months. Hopefully he isn't so stubborn next time around and actually makes the adjustments when they need to be made. Philadelphia made a change to their neutral zone system and went on a great run, we could've done the same.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I personally think he can be a great coach. He strikes me as an excellent communicator, which I think is the biggest part of a HC’s job.

What he needs is perhaps more experienced assistants (to do the X and Os) AND better defensive players.

I think he’ll learn a lot from this year. IMO, he’s down the list of issues for me:

1) resign JT
2) get 2 top-4 Dmen
3) get a better GM to do the above

I’d give Doug another year to see how he learns from this year. I haven’t fully given up on him.

france62

Jun 15, 2010
I personally think he can be a great coach. He strikes me as an excellent communicator, which I think is the biggest part of a HC’s job.

What he needs is perhaps more experienced assistants (to do the X and Os) AND better defensive players.

I think he’ll learn a lot from this year. IMO, he’s down the list of issues for me:

1) resign JT
2) get 2 top-4 Dmen

I’d give Doug another year to see how he learns from this year. I haven’t fully given up on him.
There was 0 defense , the system was made that way, even with better defensemen, if it's the same system it won't change a thing, he never changed it , so why would he change it next year ?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

The problem is, a good coach could make our defence that much better with the players that we already have.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
The problem is, a good coach could make our defence that much better with the players that we already have.
Uh, sure. Like Babcock did in Toronto? Coaches can only do so much. Granted, they could have done some different things, but that group wasn’t ever going to be good defensively.

We all knew it looked pretty sketchy after Hammer left. Then it looked disasterous after CDH got hurt and Boychuk went down.

No coach on the planet could have done something with the flotsam we floated out there every night....

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Uh, sure. Like Babcock did in Toronto? Coaches can only do so much. Granted, they could have done some different things, but that group wasn’t ever going to be good defensively.

We all knew it looked pretty sketchy after Hammer left. Then it looked disasterous after CDH got hurt and Boychuk went down.

No coach on the planet could have done something with the flotsam we floated out there every night....

296 goals allowed. Two hundred ninety-six goals allowed. Let that sink in.

A semi-decent, not to mention decent, coach would do more with this band of misfits we had by implementing a solid defence system that is played also by forwards, who, especially this season, just skated around wild doing whatever the hell they wanted to. The idea of circling back to their zone? How many turnovers that ended in goals it caused?

And yes, I agree, this group wasn't ever gonna be good defensively. But there was a lot coaching staff could have done to not make our defence at least decent and not this f***ing tragedy they iced every day. But somehow they found a new low.

And yes, a lot of this is on Snow, because he did nothing to replace Hamonic, he did nothing after de Haan and Boychuck went down... The only move he made on defence was adding Davidson. This isn't even f***ing funny. But yes, I will stand by my opinion that if a decent coach implemented a solid defence system for ALL the players on the ice, it wouldn't be this bad.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
There was 0 defense , the system was made that way, even with better defensemen, if it's the same system it won't change a thing, he never changed it , so why would he change it next year ?

I agree. Coaching was the biggest issue this year. There are other problems with the roster but weight and co failed to get anything from this group. They just kept doing the same thing over and over till the team quit. In Feb. which is another huge indictment on this coaching staff. There team was mailing it in for weeks and months before the season ended.

They were reckless this year and it burned them. Over and over and over. And we never learned.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I agree. Coaching was the biggest issue this year. There are other problems with the roster but weight and co failed to get anything from this group. They just kept doing the same thing over and over till the team quit. In Feb. which is another huge indictment on this coaching staff. There team was mailing it in for weeks and months before the season ended.

They were reckless this year and it burned them. Over and over and over. And we never learned.
We learned. The fans pointed it out immediately. Weight never learned, he didn’t even seem to notice. Regardless of the changes that are made upstairs, If weight is still in charge of the bench, this team is screwed.

Reactions: Instant

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We learned. The fans pointed it out immediately. Weight never learned, he didn’t even seem to notice. Regardless of the changes that are made upstairs, If weight is still in charge of the bench, this team is screwed.

To be fair, before the injuries the "fans" were predicting deep playoff runs out of this team. Maybe if Snow could actually build a team with some depth Weight's system would have worked with a few tweaks. When Boychuk and CdH went down the team wasn't going anywhere unless Jesus was in charge.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

1) resign JT
2) get 2 top-4 Dmen

I think Cronin needs to go and replaced with a seasoned assistant. Dave Tippet or someone similar. I think that would make a big difference.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Cronin needs to go and replaced with a seasoned assistant. Dave Tippet or someone similar. I think that would make a big difference.
I don't know what defensive gurus are out there but I always thought Weight could have used a Jacques Martin type behind the bench with him. Someone who has NHL head coaching on his resume who could be a first lieutenant to the head coach to balance Weight's inexperience as a head coach.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I don't know what defensive gurus are out there but I always thought Weight could have used a Jacques Martin type behind the bench with him. Someone who has NHL head coaching on his resume who could be a first lieutenant to the head coach to balance Weight's inexperience as a head coach.
How about we just hire a real NHL coach, instead?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There's a defensive-minded assistant coach in Florida who has 7 years NHL head coaching on his resume. ;)

Reactions: Finnislander

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Doug weight learned nothing on the job this year leading me to believe next year will be no different. So far in over his head it’s almost as absurd as the fact that he hasn’t been fired.

Worst head coach in the NHL and it’s not even remotely close. I get most assistants in the league could do a better job than DW

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Him being the coach has made me resent him for the rest of the work he has done for this this organization.

He’s just downright terrible at his job, both on and off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad