Doug Weight

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Christ even when he's been gone for a year, Capuano complaints have to hijack thread. He was a mediocre coach. He's also (pathetically, sure) second in all of our all time coaching stats, won a playoff round, and by all accounts was well liked by his players. We've had and will have worse coaches. I swear some Isles fans' attention is 90% vitriol for our crappy old coach.

"Oh no, people are comparing the new coach to the old coach in a thread about coaching!"

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Cappy should get some credit as he won a playoff series and got to the playoffs 3 out of 4 times and the Tampa series was a loss due to not having offensive depth that Cappy did not have at the time. I don't think Cappy would get us to where we are now and I am a Cappy apologist, but as much as the coach changed, the Isles built a Chicago model that didn't exist with Cappy.

Draft 2 star forwards - Kane/Toews - JT/Barzal
Develop a top 5 dman - Keith - Leddy
Acquire a proven scoring wing - Hossa - Eberle
Rely on mediocre goalies - Crawford/Niemi - Halak/Greiss

Pretty close to Chicago formula of development

Crawford is not a mediocre goalie

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Capuano was a terrible coach. The success they had under him was in spite of him. His line pairings, infatuation with bad players, and his complete disregard for young players held this franchise back. It blows my mind that this is not the consensus opinion on the guy.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Capuano was a terrible coach. The success they had under him was in spite of him. His line pairings, infatuation with bad players, and his complete disregard for young players held this franchise back. It blows my mind that this is not the consensus opinion on the guy.

Absolutely. He very likely cost us that playoff series against Tampa Bay. We were about a minute or so from taking a 2-1 lead in the series, but instead his stupidity allows the Lightning to tie it in the last minute and then win it in overtime. From there the Isles just imploded and ended up losing the series 4-1. They hold on to win that game and it's a completely different series.

Reactions: bronxirish and dood

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

"In spite of him."

The most on-point comment about capuano's time as Islander coach.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Absolutely. He very likely cost us that playoff series against Tampa Bay. We were about a minute or so from taking a 2-1 lead in the series, but instead his stupidity allows the Lightning to tie it in the last minute and then win it in overtime. From there the Isles just imploded and ended up losing the series 4-1. They hold on to win that game and it's a completely different series.

Love when people say that capuano "won a playoff round," when you could make a very long list of average/poor NHL coaches who've won a lot more than that in 5+ years and....The bolded above.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This discussion of Capuano brings a couple of things to mind, having watched the guy in action for several years.

Self-evident: clearly true and requiring no proof or explanation; not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.

Res ipsa loquitar: the thing speaks for itself.

Reactions: periferal

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Hold on... I said the 2010 lineup. The 2016/2017 lineup is VERY different and fair to suggest Weight was/is a better option than Capuano (though even with Weight they didn't make the playoffs). I'd go even further and suggest that a proven NHL coach would've been an even better option.

The team does look good so far under Weight but let's see him lead them to the playoffs (and have some success) before giving him high praise.

If Weight did better with the same lineup last year, why wouldn't he do better with the 2010 lineup???

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If Weight did better with the same lineup last year, why wouldn't he do better with the 2010 lineup???
Because the 2010 lineup was atrocious. Also, let's not pretend that he accomplished something wonderful last year. The team missed the playoffs.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Because the 2010 lineup was atrocious. Also, let's not pretend that he accomplished something wonderful last year. The team missed the playoffs.

The Isles had the 2nd best record in the league from the moment Weight took over...Cappy cost the team the playoffs...

So are you saying the 2010 team reached it's full potential under Cappy and no one could have done better???

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Isles had the 2nd best record in the league from the moment Weight took over...Cappy cost the team the playoffs...

So are you saying the 2010 team reached it's full potential under Cappy and no one could have done better???

Bingo. This is it right here.

No one is saying that any coach in the world would've won the Stanley Cup with the Islanders rosters over the past 7 years, but that is not the point.

The point every time is NOT about talent, but rather...IS THE HEAD COACH OF ANY TEAM, ANYWHERE, GETTING THAT TEAM TO PLAY TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITIES?

If you're answer is "yes" to that question for any season under capuano then I could not disagree with you more and probably there's nothing anyone can say to get you to see otherwise.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

The 2010 team was a turd and no coach would have been able to polish it. That's what I'm saying. It was a lottery team and would have been a lottery team with any coach.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
The 2010 team was a turd and no coach would have been able to polish it. That's what I'm saying. It was a lottery team and would have been a lottery team with any coach.

Of course that was a lottery team, still doesn't mean no one else couldn't have done better, along with the following 6 years...

That 93 team was crap, but with Arbour there they reached the conference finals...
They would have missed the playoffs with Cappy...

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Of course that was a lottery team, still doesn't mean no one else couldn't have done better, along with the following 6 years...

That 93 team was crap, but with Arbour there they reached the conference finals...
They would have missed the playoffs with Cappy...
Maybe Weight could've gotten that team to finish 26th as opposed to 27th. Big whoop.

And the '93 team was certainly not crap. Obviously Arbour was a great coach and deserves a lot of credit for taking the team so far but that team was much, much better than the 2010 team.

Look, I'm not saying Capuano is/was a good coach. He had some modest success here but much of it was poor. With poor teams. Anyway, who cares about Capuano anymore. So far so good with Weight. Hope it continues and he leads this team to some playoff success this year.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Speaking of former coaches, puck soup podcast today speculated that Scott Gordon will be the Flyers coach once Hakstol is canned. Now THAT'S someone who should never be involved with an NHL team again.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I don't know how much it matters. The Lightning were rusty early from the layoff and were getting better each game. We probably just lose in 6 or 7

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
I don't know how much it matters. The Lightning were rusty early from the layoff and were getting better each game. We probably just lose in 6 or 7

Maybe so, but it would have been a much more competitive series the rest of the way. That loss completely took the wind out of their sails and the next two games they just rolled over.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Gordon is the typical AHL coach, he dominates down there, but he will put a system in place and doesn't have any good dmen in place to work with... just would stink if they got in the playoffs by one point because of that Chimera penalty... I hate the Flyers more than I hate the Rangers always have

Cappy got 3 seasons of 100 points or more, players got much better under his watch... I don't think he was a bad coach, don't think he is a great coach but i think you could do a lost worse, ... Kirk Muller, Dale Hunter, Hakstol, Blashill, Phil Housley, Melrose, Scott Gordon, Sterling, Terry Simpson, Mike Johnston, Willie Desjardins... etc.... all those guys are worse than Cappy

Weight was very wise to get assistant coaches he felt comfortable with, and he is defying my usual logic in sports where very good to great players make bad coaches/managers (Gretzky, Trottier, Savard, etc..)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad