Doug Weight

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Meetings I tell ya, they all need more meetings. Look at what Cappy did for Ryan Strome!!

Literally the opposite of what you said could have applied to Capuano. It's amazing the difference Weight has brought to this team. We lose last night's game if Capuano is our coach.
He's up to 34-18-2. Sample size keeps getting bigger and the Islanders keep winning with Weight as coach. Guys like Barzal, Pelech, JHS and Beuvillier are getting enough ice time to get better but still being held accountable.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Great win vs the sens tonight.
One thing . Nelson was put in for the last shift change of the game
after a clear ( 30-35 seconds remaining). He was also in less than 2 minutes left . He refused to play the body or the puck . Very very noticeable .just weak as heck.
Could have , might have , should have cost us.
Please don't do that again Doug . You have to know how he plays
You are the coach

LGI

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Dougie Weight's record:

37-19-6

Not bad at all. Guy showing some coaching chops.

Weight has been a phenomenal coach. He commands respect as a 1000+ Point player and Stanley cup champ should.

He really understands all the guys but the top level talents like no dinosaur coach could. He’s not far removed from the modern game and has got these guys playing high energy game.

Despite the few blowouts he has been good and much more honest, holding the players accountable like Cap never did. You can just tells he has a higher standard and is genuinely ticked off after a poor game, no bullshit about bounces or hockey gods.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Good article because those are hard habits to break. I like the alternate view of why Barzal has been successful.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
A curious bit of statistics: since Doug Weight debut on 2017/01/19 against Dallas, the Islanders are FIRST in the entire league in total points (84) and goals scored (208).

Reactions: dood

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
We started the year so-so, but holy f*** does he have this team clicking now. I don’t agree with some lineup choices, but that’s a small gripe when the team is scoring at will.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
A curious bit of statistics: since Doug Weight debut on 2017/01/19 against Dallas, the Islanders are FIRST in the entire league in total points (84) and goals scored (208).

Isles this year are also 11-0-0 when leading after 2 periods and 9-0-0 when scoring first. This team doesn't have that curse.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
capuano would go into a defensive "shell" with a 2-0 lead in the first period.
if im not mistaken, he is the assistant coach in florida this year......i wonder if the standings are at all reflective.........

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
capuano would go into a defensive "shell" with a 2-0 lead in the first period.
if im not mistaken, he is the assistant coach in florida this year......i wonder if the standings are at all reflective.........

He probably doesn't say too much on the bench over there, although they are playing better now. In all fairness, this Isles team with Barzal and Eberle is a bit better than Cappy's team, but I think if Barzal was playing for Cappy he might have only 2 points playing on the 4th line...

Weight built a good staff around him too, those assistants were smart players

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I think it's fair to say at this point that the biggest upgrade in this team is the coach! Not to pile on Cappy but there are several things that stand out......

1. Cappy's over reliance on grinders limited this team's offensive ability. There was no better example of this than essentially picking Beauvillier over Barzal and Ho Sang last year. Perhaps it is fair to say that Barzal benefited from another year in Juniors but it wasn't like Beau was putting in huge minutes with the Isles. This year's team has a lot of the same offensive personnel and yet somehow we are putting up 5 goals a game? Weight has turned them loose!

2. Cappy was just horrible with young players. Nino, Strome, Nelson, Barzal, Ho Sang, Lee I could go on and on. He would bench them at odd times and kill their confidence. Weight just let's them roll and when there is a problem ala Ho Sang early this year he has been clear describing what was wrong and how you need to fix it!

3. Cappy would stick with a bad idea way too long (he also had a lot more of them). Remember Conacher on the first line for the first month of the season? It was clear after two games he couldn't hang but Cappy just went back to him night after night. This really stood out to me earlier this year when Weight tried Clutterbuck, of all people, on the power play. It was a completely dumb idea and it didn't take long for him to pull the plug!

4. Cappy loved tomato cans that hustled but couldn't play hockey to save their lives! Conacher, Tyler Kennedy, Steve Bernier, Colin MacDonald, Sephen Gionta etc. Cappy's rosters were always filled with guys like this and it was usually at the younger guys expense. Weight's system on the other hand accepts mistakes from younger, more talented players and he let's them play. It has made all the difference!

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I think it's fair to say at this point that the biggest upgrade in this team is the coach! Not to pile on Cappy but there are several things that stand out......

1. Cappy's over reliance on grinders limited this team's offensive ability. There was no better example of this than essentially picking Beauvillier over Barzal and Ho Sang last year. Perhaps it is fair to say that Barzal benefited from another year in Juniors but it wasn't like Beau was putting in huge minutes with the Isles. This year's team has a lot of the same offensive personnel and yet somehow we are putting up 5 goals a game? Weight has turned them loose!

2. Cappy was just horrible with young players. Nino, Strome, Nelson, Barzal, Ho Sang, Lee I could go on and on. He would bench them at odd times and kill their confidence. Weight just let's them roll and when there is a problem ala Ho Sang early this year he has been clear describing what was wrong and how you need to fix it!

3. Cappy would stick with a bad idea way too long (he also had a lot more of them). Remember Conacher on the first line for the first month of the season? It was clear after two games he couldn't hang but Cappy just went back to him night after night. This really stood out to me earlier this year when Weight tried Clutterbuck, of all people, on the power play. It was a completely dumb idea and it didn't take long for him to pull the plug!

4. Cappy loved tomato cans that hustled but couldn't play hockey to save their lives! Conacher, Tyler Kennedy, Steve Bernier, Colin MacDonald, Sephen Gionta etc. Cappy's rosters were always filled with guys like this and it was usually at the younger guys expense. Weight's system on the other hand accepts mistakes from younger, more talented players and he let's them play. It has made all the difference!

So much this. Weight has been able to make roster adjustments while not killing the younger players confidence.

What I think Cappy's lines would look like this year with the same players.....

Lee JT Bailey
Ladd Nelson Eberle
Chimera Barzal Bernier
Quine Cizikas Clutterbuck

Leddy Boychuk
De Haan Seidenberg
Hickey Pelech

Obviously we would have needed more plugs over talent and even the talent would need to have sheltered minutes with veteran plugs to keep that player from actually playing well.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY

Dead on. Remember when he benched Lee in the playoffs? Awful.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I hate all of you that weren't 100% on getting rid of capuano after his first year. As obvious as the sun being bright.

Reactions: bronxirish

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I hate all of you that weren't 100% on getting rid of capuano after his first year. As obvious as the sun being bright.
No coach would have done any better with that atrocious lineup. From 2010 to 2014 it didn't really matter who was behind the bench. The summer of 2014 would have been a logical time to make a coaching change though I'm not so sure that Weight would have been able to beat the Capitals or the Lightning in the playoffs.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No coach would have done any better with that atrocious lineup. From 2010 to 2014 it didn't really matter who was behind the bench. The summer of 2014 would have been a logical time to make a coaching change though I'm not so sure that Weight would have been able to beat the Capitals or the Lightning in the playoffs.

Stop debating talent. Do you think that people out there can't judge a coach just because the team in front of his lacks talent?

The Giants have been killed by injuries and have a poor OL, horrible RB's, and overall lack talent...Doesn't mean that everyone should see that McAdoo is a joke and should've been fired long ago.

You can have a horrible coach on a talent-deficient team. That's what capuano was when he first started. Doesn't mean he still didn't do a piss-poor job regardless of that team not being playoff-caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad