Doug Weight

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Still gotta give Weight more time. I'm not a fan of the lack of playing time for the kids either, but they are playing well under him aside from the power play.

As far as I remember, they're not giving up huge leads either. That was commonplace under Capuano.

Reactions: dood

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Too early to tell.

On one hand, he doesn't have much experience, his personnel decisions are questionable, PP struggled for long (and then exploded), multiple shorties cost them at least 2 points, now PK looks below average, I can't get his timeout strategies ... and yet on another hand, he got results, very good results.

BTW, this team plays much better since JHS demotion (except Nelson, perhaps). Is it a coincidence or is it Weight?

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
...BTW, this team plays much better since JHS demotion (except Nelson, perhaps). Is it a coincidence or is it Weight?
not so much the absence of JHS but the presence of Pulock was the key - and I swear team would even be better with Chimera out, JHS returning

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i give him a B-, for now. for a coach with less than 1 season experience, not bad.

i don't get his love for Hickey, and a few of his other decisions, but so far i am happy.

seems like we are playing similar to last year, but not getting the goaltending that we got last year.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
i give him a B-, for now. for a coach with less than 1 season experience, not bad.

i don't get his love for Hickey, and a few of his other decisions, but so far i am happy.

seems like we are playing similar to last year, but not getting the goaltending that we got last year.

Their offense was nowhere near this good last season and was a big reason they were so bad early

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
So happy Crappy is gone. Can anyone here imagine Matt Barzal playing for him?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
So happy Crappy is gone. Can anyone here imagine Matt Barzal playing for him?

Felt like Crappy was coaching last night with the Cizikas line taking the offensive draw in the last minute of the 3rd period. Isles dominated the entire period and should've been going in for the kill instead of trying to preserve a point. The puck wound up outside the Oilers zone for practically the entire final minute anyway.

Tavares line had just come off, but there was simply no excuse for the Barzal or Nelson line not to be out there in that situation. I'm more mad about that than the fact that the Isles lost in OT.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Felt like Crappy was coaching last night with the Cizikas line taking the offensive draw in the last minute of the 3rd period. Isles dominated the entire period and should've been going in for the kill instead of trying to preserve a point. The puck wound up outside the Oilers zone for practically the entire final minute anyway.

Tavares line had just come off, but there was simply no excuse for the Barzal or Nelson line not to be out there in that situation. I'm more mad about that than the fact that the Isles lost in OT.

I disagree. There's no reason to go for the throat and make risky plays that late in the game. Secure the point against a Western Conference team first and foremost, then go for the second point. That point is the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs last season, so they're just too valuable to be gambling late in the game. That's the reason the OT games shouldn't give the loser a point.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I disagree. There's no reason to go for the throat and make risky plays that late in the game. Secure the point against a Western Conference team first and foremost, then go for the second point. That point is the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs last season, so they're just too valuable to be gambling late in the game. That's the reason the OT games shouldn't give the loser a point.

But I don't think it would've been risky. Neither line did anything all night to show that they were a defensive liability. If anything, they were a much better option of sustaining offensive zone pressure. The Cizikas line played almost the entire final minute out of the offensive zone.

If it was a defensive zone face-off, then it would be fine to have the 4th line out there.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I said this during the Colorado game. He'd be getting 9 minutes a game and Capuano would say he's not good enough defensively. I really hated that bum.

Or Barzal needed the learning experience and then the ice time in the WHL last season. Barzal did not have the confidence in his limited stint last year and wouldn’t expect him to have had it. I credit Snow for recognizing this and sending him down. Hope Snow sending down JHS to the AHL has the same effect on him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But I don't think it would've been risky. Neither line did anything all night to show that they were a defensive liability. If anything, they were a much better option of sustaining offensive zone pressure. The Cizikas line played almost the entire final minute out of the offensive zone.

If it was a defensive zone face-off, then it would be fine to have the 4th line out there.

I think that's reasonable. Maybe Weight didn't trust Barzal enough, thinking he would push the pace and make a risky play that could be disastrous late.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think that's reasonable. Maybe Weight didn't trust Barzal enough, thinking he would push the pace and make a risky play that could be disastrous late.

The Nelson line could've been out there. The only line that was not available was the Tavares line as they had just come off.

Whatever, it's done now.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Nelson line could've been out there. The only line that was not available was the Tavares line as they had just come off.

Whatever, it's done now.

I dislike the way he shuffles lines when there is an injury and they may have impacted how or who he deployed. If one of your bottom guys down like Kulemin did, the correct response is to just severely limit the ice time of the 4th line. When they do play, you reward one of the top 9 guys by giving them a shift there. Instead, Weight shifted Nelson to the wing and seemed to roll 3 centers and 4 sets of wingers.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I dislike the way he shuffles lines when there is an injury and they may have impacted how or who he deployed. If one of your bottom guys down like Kulemin did, the correct response is to just severely limit the ice time of the 4th line. When they do play, you reward one of the top 9 guys by giving them a shift there. Instead, Weight shifted Nelson to the wing and seemed to roll 3 centers and 4 sets of wingers.

Yeah, I wasn't digging that approach either.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
The line shuffling did seem to "work" though. The Isles completely dominated the period.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The line shuffling did seem to "work" though. The Isles completely dominated the period.

I'm not hung up on it, just don't like it. I also don't like the 1-1-3 system the team plays, but that has worked more than not so far this season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Coaches love players like Cizikas and Clutterbuck too much to severly limit their ice time.

What they should have done is rotate a different forward each time on the left wing and gave them similar ice time (as I do think they are pretty effective when used in the right situations.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He's up to 34-18-2. Sample size keeps getting bigger and the Islanders keep winning with Weight as coach. Guys like Barzal, Pelech, JHS and Beuvillier are getting enough ice time to get better but still being held accountable.

Reactions: dood

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
He's up to 34-18-2. Sample size keeps getting bigger and the Islanders keep winning with Weight as coach. Guys like Barzal, Pelech, JHS and Beuvillier are getting enough ice time to get better but still being held accountable.

Literally the opposite of what you said could have applied to Capuano. It's amazing the difference Weight has brought to this team. We lose last night's game if Capuano is our coach.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Don't know and still ... but that game in Tampa, he was big part of it with his personnel decisions and the timeout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad