Confirmed with Link: Does anyone care about Dzingel signing? (He did. 2 yrs, 1.8 AAV post #106)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm happy with the deal. Fair value for the goals/points he put up last year. If he can keep up those kinda numbers then that's about what you can expect to pay these days.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm fine with the deal although I am very surprised they settled for an amount that high. I thought they had a decent argument for an arbitration settlement closer to their amount.

I wonder if a big part of them settling was ensuring a cheap salary in year 1. I guess we'll see in a little bit when the salary comes out.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'm fine with the deal although I am very surprised they settled for an amount that high. I thought they had a decent argument for an arbitration settlement closer to their amount.

I wonder if a big part of them settling was ensuring a cheap salary in year 1. I guess we'll see in a little bit when the salary comes out.

1.5M year 1 and 2.1M in year 2

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I'm not sure it would be worth a contentious and stressful situation with a young player who may have a future in the org. Arbitration situations can get messy.

They can get messy yes. But tons of players go through it with no long term repercussions.

But Dzingel isnt exactly young anymore at 25. And its pretty clear he isnt high on Bouchers depth chart. Dzingel is going to have to take advantage of the limited time he will get in our top 6 to prove his worth.. Otherwise he will be gone when this is up..

He definitely adds speed to our lineup, but he needs to finish more if he wants to be a regular, because he doesnt really contribute much on the defensive end.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
No they cant. The buyout period has been over for weeks

There's another one when you have players going in arbitration.

Their team will have a second “buyout window” during which they can buy out up to three player contracts. This begins on the third day after the team’s final arbitration case is settled or awarded, and lasts for 48 hours.
However, there are some limitations on this second buyout window, known as an “Ordinary Course Buy-Out Outside the Regular Period.” Namely, the buyout candidate has to have been on the roster at that season’s trade deadline, and their contract’s cap hit/Average Annual Value has to be a minimum established in the 2013 CBA of $2.75 million — but that minimum increases each year along with the league’s average annual salary.

EDIT: I was right and wrong at the same time. There's another buy out window but the annual salary must be 2.75 and more.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Overpaid by 100k.

giphy.gif

You win :laugh:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I think Hammond makes under the buyout minimum as well.

There is no buyout minimum in the 1st window

2nd window requires at min 1 arbitration case to finish, none of Ottawas RFAs were decided by an arbitration, Ottawa doesn't get a 2nd buyout window

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm honestly a bit surprised it's that high but at the same time I think he's worth that. I think he's proved he'll do just about anything to stick with the team (even play physical, defensive commitment, up and down and etc) so I'm cool with it.

IMO Sens were exploring to trade Dzingel for an upgrade on D or in the top 6 but they failed to find what they wanted, then proceeded to let go of Stalberg and re-signing Dzingel. That's pure speculation on my part though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

2nd window requires at min 1 arbitration case to finish, none of Ottawas RFAs were decided by an arbitration, Ottawa doesn't get a 2nd buyout window

actually, I believe you only need a player to file for arbitration to get the 2nd buyout window.

capfriendly faq said:
Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period
Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

There is no buyout minimum in the 1st window = true.

There is one in the second window (Hammond can't be bought up because of his salary) which open when a player asks for arbitration even if he settles before going through the process.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Surprised they gave him 2 years - they clearly see him as a top 9 player. Looking forward to seeing a full, consistent, competitive season out of Dizzy.

Worse comes to worse, he would be an easy player to trade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With MacArthur, Smith, Hoffman, and Dzingel on the left side, Ryan, Stone, Burrows on the right side, should White prove he`s ready, we could have 8 guys capable of filing the 4 top 6 wing positions.

While we don't have elite wingers, we have a ton of depth giving Boucher lots of options to work with.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ottawa didn't lose an arbitration deal, they settled prior to a ruling.

Also that deal is some next level ******* for Colorado.

I doubt they'd make that type of deal but I don't think Duchene's value is as high as you'd think.

Brown, despite last season, is a top prospect, potential top-6 center.
Bowers was just drafted but that's another 1st there.
Dzingel is not a world beater but he is still a middle-six forward, good for 30-40 points

Gabriel Gagne is a C prospect at this point. Adds probably the value of a 5th or 6th round pick. But the value is in Dzingel + Brown + Bowers

Hammond is useless in that deal, not sure why the poster tried to include him. Probably to have Colorado taking a bit more salary back. In that sense, it makes sense because it was 6.0 vs 1.8

LW depth:
Hoff
Mac
Smith
Burrows
Dzingel

RW depth:
Stone
Ryan
White
Pyatt

Just to nitpick

Burrows is a RW, but can play LW
Pyatt is a LW, but can play RW

So I'd switch them... Based on the depth chart, this is the line-up I am expecting :

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Dzingel-Thompson-Pyatt
White

or

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-Thompson-White
Dzingel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I doubt they'd make that type of deal but I don't think Duchene's value is as high as you'd think.

Brown, despite last season, is a top prospect, potential top-6 center.
Bowers was just drafted but that's another 1st there.
Dzingel is not a world beater but he is still a middle-six forward, good for 30-40 points

Gabriel Gagne is a C prospect at this point. Adds probably the value of a 5th or 6th round pick. But the value is in Dzingel + Brown + Bowers

Hammond is useless in that deal, not sure why the poster tried to include him. Probably to have Colorado taking a bit more salary back. In that sense, it makes sense because it was 6.0 vs 1.8

Just to nitpick

Burrows is a RW, but can play LW
Pyatt is a LW, but can play RW

So I'd switch them... Based on the depth chart, this is the line-up I am expecting :

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Dzingel-Thompson-Pyatt
White

or

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-Thompson-White
Dzingel

Burrows is actually listed as a LW, he shoots left too, but probably got a reputation as a RW from playing with the Sedins so much. At this point, maybe he`s more of a RW but when he first came into the league, I think he played LW with Kessler and Hansen on the right or maybe it was Bernier.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Bad deal if he plays like he finished the season

Great deal if he plays like he started the season

Meh deal all things considered.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Give or take, we're now probably at about 70M in salary (not cap) once either Harpur or Chabot makes the team in the 7th D spot. This is assuming Hammond ends up on the roster as our 3rd goalie, or that we bury him and roll with a 22 man roster which is something we did for parts of last season.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Meh deal in my mind.

I am not sure I see much improvement in Dzingel's future.

Decent bottom 6 player though.

Settling for a 100k discount makes no sense until you consider the back loaded aspect of the deal. Makes me think that it's possible cost certainty in year 1 was an important enough aspect that they didn't want to risk going to arbitration where they might have to pay him up to roughly 500k more this season if an arbitrator decided to award Dzingel the full 1.95M.

I could see us trying to dump him for a draft pick next year in a cost cutting move if he doesn't show consistent improvement this season. Pass on the more expensive second year to a cap team.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The first year of the deal is a steal if he puts up 30+ points again.

The second year of the deal is likely a steal as well considering he will be in his 3rd year in the NHL, and right in his prime. I expect him to be a 40 point player by then.

Good deal all things considered. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad