Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

Do You Want The Sedins To Return Next Season?

• Total voters

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If they want 5 million a piece then let them walk......5 million together is more like it.....

Not going to happen. A lot of Canuck fans are expecting this huge discount. $2M per year shaved off of their current deals is more realistic. JP Barry's comments where he basically compared them to Thornton and looked at what Thornton makes should tell everyone that the thoughts of a $2M contract are not realistic.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
The more post games interviews I see the less I want them back. Youve been losing for 3 years! Show something, I cant deal with more of this "well we gotta focus on the process" BS. You know what was cool? Seeing Horvat slap the puck against the boards cuz he was pissed off

Reactions: Kreator

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The more post games interviews I see the less I want them back. Youve been losing for 3 years! Show something, I cant deal with more of this "well we gotta focus on the process" BS. You know what was cool? Seeing Horvat slap the puck against the boards cuz he was pissed off

Based on Henrik and Daniel's comments you'd think they didn't have a clue how bad this team has been for 3 years.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
One of these games we'll win and it'll be said that it was the best the team has played all year.

Or

We lose out but the process was correct and we were just unlucky.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i just don’t see a reason why evander kane would come here. he is happy in san jose, where it’s joe thornton’s team so no one’s going to give him crap for having an attitude. the team, fanbase, and media has historically not given black players a rough ride (not saying vancouver has but hello montreal). the city is just as minority white as vancouver (though with almost as few black people), and unlike vancouver he won’t have a target on his back every time he goes out because some idiot will want to fight him and sue later.

plus the team isn’t a giant bag of burning dog crap with a gm who doesn’t know how to read.

but who knows, maybe kane was a really big trevor linden fan...

i’m looking fwd to jvr and perron’s six year deals.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Why is the whole Sedin issue completely up to Daniel and Henrik??

I realize they are franchise icons and deserve a lot of respect but they are not bigger than the team. When it is discussed whether the Sedins will be back next year it is ALWAYS up to Daniel and Henrik. It is always what they want, if they want to come back. Whether it is best for the team, or the rebuild never even is mentioned. Linden has given them the keys to the team and that is a huge part of the problem in moving forward here.

Does't matter if they cant keep up with the speed of the NHL or if Henrik goes pointless his last 17 games to fade down the stretch for the 3rd year in a row, if they want to come back there are roster spots waiting. Do they decide their salary too?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Why is the whole Sedin issue completely up to Daniel and Henrik??

I realize they are franchise icons and deserve a lot of respect but they are not bigger than the team. When it is discussed whether the Sedins will be back next year it is ALWAYS up to Daniel and Henrik. It is always what they want, if they want to come back. Whether it is best for the team, or the rebuild never even is mentioned. Linden has given them the keys to the team and that is a huge part of the problem in moving forward here.

Does't matter if they cant keep up with the speed of the NHL or if Henrik goes pointless his last 17 games to fade down the stretch for the 3rd year in a row, if they want to come back there are roster spots waiting. Do they decide their salary too?

Its up to hank and Daniel cause our terrible management decided that it was up to them... hurray?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I love me some sedins, and if brought back on a cheap contract for both, sure.

Thats not going to happen, so I'd say no, thank you for everything you've done, but we are going in a different direction.

Cn you imagine if Green Bay just trouted out Bret Favre every year instead of moving on to Rodgers?

Reactions: billvanseattle

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I love me some sedins, and if brought back on a cheap contract for both, sure.

Thats not going to happen, so I'd say no, thank you for everything you've done, but we are going in a different direction.

Cn you imagine if Green Bay just trouted out Bret Favre every year instead of moving on to Rodgers?

Completely.

The hanging onto veterans well past their prime in this market is out of hand. Very poor asset management in Vancouver and the mentorship thing just needs to stop.

Vegas has their 10 top scorers in their 20s. They have done pretty well without a bunch of 30 something mentors to show them how to play the right way.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The other thing that needs to stop being trotted out is that we need the Sedins to insulate young players. They don't insulate anyone, in fact need to be insulated themselves. They are so poor defensively now they need to play sheltered minutes and get offensive zone starts.

I seriously wouldn't mind a new look on the power play either. It was Boeser that made the power play work.

But most of all I just cant handle the mentality of this organization that they can't move forward without them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The other thing that needs to stop being trotted out is that we need the Sedins to insulate young players. They don't insulate anyone, in fact need to be insulated themselves. They are so poor defensively now they need to play sheltered minutes and get offensive zone starts.

I seriously wouldn't mind a new look on the power play either. It was Boeser that made the power play work.

But most of all I just cant handle the mentality of this organization that they can't move forward without them.
That’s the thing pro twins crowd forgets. That to insulate th twins defensively means to sacrifice offence from Bos unit because he’ll take the draws in his own zone if sutter can’t due to just being on th ice.

If the other line is Loui, gagner, granlund lets say, then where are the young players going to be playing? Bo, Brock and Sven. Then sutter with gaunce and archi. Sedins with 1 young kid?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sedin fan. Want them back on a few conditions.

1 - No more than $2.5M .... if not interested move on.

2 - No more sheltered minutes. Play them 13 - 15 minutes a game, 2nd unit power play. Allow Boeser on offense zone face offs ... that where our bread is buttered. With Horvat. One twin at the most.

3 - Split them up 5 on 5. Ocaisionally at least.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don't see much of a downside if they come back for a reasonable 1 year contract (let's say a maximum of 3.5 mill each). If Pettersson/Dahlen/Gaudette/Goldobin/etc. impress, plug the Sedins on the third line and give them sheltered minutes and 2nd PP time.

I dont buy the argument that the Sedins are going to take roster spots/ice time away from younger players or prospects. Those players will earn the ice time based on merit. And let's be real[ity], our prospect pool is not deep enough or mature enough where we will think the Sedins, as 3rd liners for one year, are ruining their development.

Reactions: billvanseattle

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't see much of a downside if they come back for a reasonable 1 year contract (let's say a maximum of 3.5 mill each). If Pettersson/Dahlen/Gaudette/Goldobin/etc. impress, plug the Sedins on the third line and give them sheltered minutes and 2nd PP time.

I dont buy the argument that the Sedins are going to take roster spots/ice time away from younger players or prospects. Those players will earn the ice time based on merit. And let's be real[ity], our prospect pool is not deep enough or mature enough where we will think the Sedins, as 3rd liners for one year, are ruining their development.
You would be ignoring the defensive zone. They wouldn’t take away ice time from he younger kids, but taking it away from Bo’s line because he’d be the only option after sutter to take a draw. Sutte can’t take all the draws as he could have been on the ice prior to the upcoming faceoff. The twins need to become an option for green to use. If it’s their turn to go in and it happens to be a defensive zone draw, I would expect 18 year vets to handle coverage in heir own zone. That’s the only way they should come back. If the coach doesn’t trust them to do tha, forget about them. Use a line of gagner with eriksson and granlund to be the second defensive option. Mix the kids up with other lines so that you spread out the inexperience.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Yes the fact that the Sedins always have to play together limits what you can do with line combinations and spreading young players on different lines.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes the fact that the Sedins always have to play together limits what you can do with line combinations and spreading young players on different lines.

Well they are not returning to play on separate lines right? So, if that doesn’t work for the team say goodbye.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just call it a hunch....but the way they're playing right now, I think they're sensing the end is near. If this team wasn't dead last in the NHL and likely a bottom-feeding lottery team next year, it might be different. But Henrik has now captained three of the worst teams in franchise history....Green has been forced to cut back their ice time and give them sheltered minutes with offensive zone starts.....so what's the compelling reason for another farewell season?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Just call it a hunch....but the way they're playing right now, I think they're sensing the end is near. If this team wasn't dead last in the NHL and likely a bottom-feeding lottery team next year, it might be different. But Henrik has now captained three of the worst teams in franchise history....Green has been forced to cut back their ice time and give them sheltered minutes with offensive zone starts.....so what's the compelling reason for another farewell season?
Maybe to play a year with Pettersson? I am certain they have a sense of where the team is headed with Pettersson and Boeser, and maybe they feel like they could add something to that transition? Just spitballing. They could also add to the team by signing inexpensive one year deals without NMCs, so they can be moved to a contender for aomething at the deadline. But I am not holding my breath for that development.

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver
Not going to happen. A lot of Canuck fans are expecting this huge discount. $2M per year shaved off of their current deals is more realistic. JP Barry's comments where he basically compared them to Thornton and looked at what Thornton makes should tell everyone that the thoughts of a $2M contract are not realistic.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter that much on a 1 year deal if we are going young and not against the cap. I'd like them around to teach the new Swedish first liners....

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Ultimately, it doesn't matter that much on a 1 year deal if we are going young and not against the cap. I'd like them around to teach the new Swedish first liners....

Have to say i think their "teaching" is over rated and fabelized. This hasnt been Beliveau like. Things have been bad for a while now and there are no trophies in the case to shine.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
offer them to be skills coaches or another job in the organization. They could be helpful mentoring some of the young forwards.

If they want to play next year tell them to go sign with a contender so they have a chance for a cup and keep the job offer open for when they retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad