Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If everyone had to pick a player to go after before the deadline - who is it and for what?

And if you choose not to do anything just dont respond because it’d be silly to answer a question as ‘im not answering the question’

Mine was Shaw from Montreal but he is injured at the moment.

Shaw's contract is terrible and he is a scumbag. We should want no part of that guy.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Shaw's contract is terrible and he is a *******. We should want no part of that guy.
Montreal can afford to retain and he’s still a good third liner. Plus you need grit in the playoffs - Im sorry but this team as currently constructed will get man handled if they make the playoffs and play any teams other than fresh entries such as ourselves who sre super young (a Carolina for example)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If everyone had to pick a player to go after before the deadline - who is it and for what?

And if you choose not to do anything just dont respond because it’d be silly to answer a question as ‘im not answering the question’

Mine was Shaw from Montreal but he is injured at the moment.
I'd target a RW as well, but I don't see Shaw as much of an upgrade.

In general we have #'s, both on D, and RW, it's a matter of upgrading the talent.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If we could find a way to steal him the way we've stolen Hall, Palmieri and Johansson in the past, the only player I'd want to try and acquire would be Hoffman.

I don't think that we can meet the asking price, though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The desire to rid ourselves of the last couple years of Zajac's contract needs to be balanced by what he brings defensively and in terms of veteran leadership, which will be important as we jockey for a playoff spot and (hopefully) play in them.

Not to mention that contract is basically untradeable.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If we could find a way to steal him the way we've stolen Hall, Palmieri and Johansson in the past, the only player I'd want to try and acquire would be Hoffman.

I don't think that we can meet the asking price, though.
Hoffman would be awesome. Wonder what it would take to get done...Santini++? I'd consider it. We have Severson and Vatanen to play top 4 minutes on the right side and Butcher can play both sides.

Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Hoffman - Zacha - Wood
Johansson - Boyle - Palmieri
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen/Gibbons

Reactions: Rgani1488

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm not clear what Zajac is providing to the team right now that isn't already being provided by other players.

Just faceoffs at this point, really. It's not like we don't have other veterans, other guys that can play defense, and other PKers.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
...what does Zajac bring in terms of veteran leadership that other guys can’t or don’t already? He’s good on face offs so that’s why he was on the power play but that was doing more bad than good.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Entire lower bowl was FILLED with red. good to see.

Always good to see Red & Black reppin on the road.

Lots of our fans in Ontario attend games in Buff.
Plus the college students from NJ who go to school at one of the Buff areas schools.

A good buddy attended SUNY Buffalo and went to every Devils game up there for 4 years during our glory seasons.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The thing with Zajac is, right now, his contract isn't a detriment to the team. We have tons of cap space and have more money coming off the books in Clowe, Moore, Hayes and Stafford this year/Lovejoy, Boyle, Mojo and Kinkaid the following year. Only guys needing raises during that time are Wood, Zacha, Noesen (I guess), Coleman (I guess), Santini, Butcher and Mueller. I can't imagine any of them really breaking the bank with their performances (maybe Wood and Butcher?).

You can limit his minutes, let him play his usual solid defense, PK and win faceoffs and let it be for the time being.

By this time, you can then explore any avenue to get out of the contract that will be much more feasible than right now. As it is currently, he's not getting dealt and they're certainly not buying him out with the number of years left. After those 2 years, you then have Hall's extension along with Nico and Bratt's ELCs ending so that's the real time that a decision has to be made.

It already appears they're starting to reduce his role, which is what we want to see.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Did Hall seriously get fined? Are you kidding me? It took like 5 player injuries for our team before the league finally took action against an offender. Hall's hit was a penalty and dumb, but that's why he got two minutes. You'd think watching the replays to decide to assess a fine they would see the massive dive that came with the hit.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Devils should be "all in" for the Cup in the next two seasons after this one.

Hall Hischier Bratt and Vatanen all due pay raises in summer of 2020
I dont know about all-in but with the amount of talent shining young nowadays we may see a lot of teams able to maintain Detroit-like teams for long periods of time. Mainly the teams rebuilding or close to being done rebuilding now.

As for all in the only reason Id say we push hard the next few season is for Schneider and his age.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Did Hall seriously get fined? Are you kidding me? It took like 5 player injuries for our team before the league finally took action against an offender. Hall's hit was a penalty and dumb, but that's why he got two minutes. You'd think watching the replays to decide to assess a fine they would see the massive dive that came with the hit.

And some fans are calling for a suspension LOL

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
With the players we have Lovejoy should be getting zero usage except for 7th D.

Vatanen-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher
Lovejoy
Is how id order it

Greene is worse than Lovejoy and Moore, and no way in hell is Santini better than Severson or Mueller.

Gone, hopefully. Or replace Lovejoy with Moore.

Neither Lovejoy nor Moore should be on our starting 6 when healthy

Moore is not a long term player for us

Both players are better than Greene and younger, especially Moore who is 7-8 years younger.

Moore is more of an asset than Greene is. One, he is younger. Two, he is a much better skater and can skate himself out of trouble when needed. Three, he is better offensively. His defensive mistakes are no worse than any f*** up Greene has made this year and for some reason some people here still think Greene is a serviceable top 4 dman.

Greene is the most useless defenseman on the team. He is old, slow, small and weak and has zero offense to his game.

The only reason he hasn't been benched is because of the C on his chest.

Hoffman would be awesome. Wonder what it would take to get done...Santini++? I'd consider it. We have Severson and Vatanen to play top 4 minutes on the right side and Butcher can play both sides.

Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Hoffman - Zacha - Wood

Hoffman would be awesome to have on this team. His speed and his shot would be great to add to the top 6, and he could work well with a guy like Zacha who looks pass first quite a lot.

I'm not clear what Zajac is providing to the team right now that isn't already being provided by other players.

Just faceoffs at this point, really. It's not like we don't have other veterans, other guys that can play defense, and other PKers.

He only provides faceoffs. Every thing else other forwards on this team are capable of doing better than him, including defense since Zajac is excruciatingly slow and that impacts how effective he is or isn't on defense.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Greene is a very steady dman in his own end when he isn't overplayed. His breakout passes are trash though but we have an entire roster of guys who excel at moving the puck from the backend.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Hoffman - Zacha - Wood

no trading defensive prospects for wingers. just, no.

and we would have to add a lot to the zajac-JVR deal. not worth it

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: