Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Zajac (retained) for JvR. Small picks either way if necessary

No I dont want to move Zajac I think he serves a purpose but I would for an improvement

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-JvR
Wood-Boyle-Palmieri
Gibbons-Coleman-Noesen

Obviously that is when healthy so lets not attack me on that. Just give input on what you think about this scenario as written.

I wouldnt doubt JvR resigning but even if he didnt Zajac was expendable and we rid ourselves of a contract

Why would Toronto do this? Unless we could trick Lou into taking on Zajac :laugh:

Having said that, I'd think we would be in on JvR in free agency

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Why would Toronto do this? Unless we could trick Lou into taking on Zajac :laugh:

Toronto needs a 3C, gets Zajac at a discounted contract, hes defensively responsible which is what they desperately need, and JvR wont be re-signing id imagine. Picks if necessary

I really dont think its unfair, and thats as an NHL fan not a NJ fan

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Toronto needs a 3C, gets Zajac at a discounted contract, hes defensively responsible which is what they desperately need, and JvR wont be re-signing id imagine. Picks if necessary

That is a big loss for them going into the postseason. Losing JVR and inserting Zajac hurts that team. something more desirable has to go to the Leafs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Not really sure where JvR fits as a left-handed LW.

With Hall - Johansson - Wood as the LWs going into next year and JQ behind them, there's not much room for him. If he's going to command ~6 million or more, I'd rather look at spend that money somewhere else.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

With Hall - Johansson - Wood as the LWs going into next year and JQ behind them, there's not much room for him. If he's going to command ~6 million or more, I'd rather look at spend that money somewhere else.
I thought jvR played RW?

Hell if he plays LW i want him even more!! Johansson seems like filler to me (yes we gave up picks for him so it hurts)

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

If you have the chance to sign JVR, you do it. Then worry about the lineup shuffling later

Reactions: DEVILS130

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It makes no sense.

Toronto easily gets the lesser player AND the older player. They take on Zajac's contract which is awful moving forward. They also don't have room for Zajac with Matthews - Bozak - Kadri down the middle anyways, so they'd need to move Bozak to fit Zajac.

Also, the Devils aren't in a position to abandon Zajac. Zacha and Hischier would have to handle the top two center spots for the rest of the year for me to feel comfortable in moving on from Zajac.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
That is a big loss for them going into the postseason. Losing JVR and inserting Zajac hurts that team. something more desirable has to go to the Leafs.
Does it though? For a team with an abundance of scoring wingers I think Lou would see he value Zajac brings in getting Marner, Nylander more responsible

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
IF Zajac gets middling ice time and PK duties, I think we can be fine to keep him. Yes, I realize his contract is not ideal, but we don't have cap problems at the moment.

Yeah I would love Zajac Coleman Gibbons and Boyle to be our 4 players rotating on line 4 next season.
Top 9: Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Palmieri, Zacha, Wood, Johansson, ?, ?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It makes no sense.

Toronto easily gets the lesser player AND the older player. They take on Zajac's contract which is awful moving forward. They also don't have room for Zajac with Matthews - Bozak - Kadri down the middle anyways, so they'd need to move Bozak to fit Zajac.

Also, the Devils aren't in a position to abandon Zajac. Zacha and Hischier would have to handle the top two center spots for the rest of the year for me to feel comfortable in moving on from Zajac.
To say it makes no sense seems pretty silly.

A veteran (and cheap after retention) 3C who can teach the kids to be more responsible and a Lou favorite over a 1st pick hat likely doesnt touch their roster for 3-5 years.

Zajac’s value as a player isnt necessarily his point totals.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If you have the chance to sign JVR, you do it. Then worry about the lineup shuffling later

I don't agree with that logic in the cap era for wingers.

You have to look at the marginal benefit of adding JvR. Is he that much better than what Wood will be next year? Is it worth it to have to force someone over to RW? What does that say to Wood who no longer has a path up the line-up that he's been consistently earning? What does that say to JQ?

On top of all that, you're likely committing at least 6 million a year for 5-6 years at a position where you don't really need an upgrade.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
IF Zajac gets middling ice time and PK duties, I think we can be fine to keep him. Yes, I realize his contract is not ideal, but we don't have cap problems at the moment.
I agree in keeping him. Like I said I just felt the value was there for both team’s needs.

But he recently hasn’t been used as he should be so im nervous

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't agree with that logic in the cap era for wingers.

You have to look at the marginal benefit of adding JvR. Is he that much better than what Wood will be next year? Is it worth it to have to force someone over to RW? What does that say to Wood who no longer has a path up the line-up that he's been consistently earning? What does that say to JQ?

On top of all that, you're likely committing at least 6 million a year for 5-6 years at a position where you don't really need an upgrade.
The cap means nothing to us right now IMO. Guys like Greene, Zajac, Lovejoy, maybe even Johansson being gone in 3-4 years opens up a lot. Plus the Canadian dollar is beginning to stabilize IIRC (could be wrong) so the cap, while already rising, will be even more so.

And i dont literally mean the cap means nothing. Just a way to express my thought on how we should be looking at moves

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
To say it makes no sense seems pretty silly.

A veteran (and cheap after retention) 3C who can teach the kids to be more responsible and a Lou favorite over a 1st pick hat likely doesnt touch their roster for 3-5 years.

Zajac’s value as a player isnt necessarily his point totals.

They have a Zajac clone in Bozak who is younger than Zajac and they could easily resign for less than Zajac. Marleau and Hainsey are the veterans they brought in.

They don't need to trade their best trading chip who consistently produces like a borderline 1LW to fill a 3C hole they don't even have.

And they aren't going to reshuffle their entire team to fit in Zajac and move out Bozak -- moving out Bozak would have to happen to fit in Zajac logistically.

Reactions: Darkauron

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The cap means nothing to us right now IMO. Guys like Greene, Zajac, Lovejoy, maybe even Johansson being gone in 3-4 years opens up a lot. Plus the Canadian dollar is beginning to stabilize IIRC (could be wrong) so the cap, while already rising, will be even more so.

And i dont literally mean the cap means nothing. Just a way to express my thought on how we should be looking at moves

Operating with the mindset that the "cap means nothing right now" is how you get yourself into cap trouble. You sign JvR to 6 years now and then in year four or five when Hall/Hischier/Bratt/Butcher/Zacha/Santini/Wood have all earned their new deals that contract is killing you.

If you're going to over-improve a position, do it to improve the defense or the center position, not at LW.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
no way am I signing JVR. I like him as a player but he plays LW which is the least of our concerns. He also plays a "rough and tumble" game that may see him drop off a cliff sooner than later

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If everyone had to pick a player to go after before the deadline - who is it and for what?

And if you choose not to do anything just dont respond because it’d be silly to answer a question as ‘im not answering the question’

Mine was Shaw from Montreal but he is injured at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad