Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
no trading defensive prospects for wingers. just, no.

and we would have to add a lot to the zajac-JVR deal. not worth it
He's not just a winger. He'd be the clear second best winger on the team and probably the best goal scorer on the team. But with Santini, his role in NJ now and probably in the future is kind of in question. Do we think he's ever going to be a better option than Severson at even strength? I don't think that's ever going to be the case. Same question with Vatanen...Probably not. So he's likely destined for 3rd pairing even strength time.

Generally I would agree, trading a dman for a winger is not the way to go given the composition of the roster...But a great offensive player like Hoffman for a guy that is behind at least two guys on the right defensive depth chart and isn't even getting in over Lovejoy? There's a discussion to be had.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
He's not just a winger. He'd be the clear second best winger on the team and probably the best goal scorer on the team. But with Santini, his role in NJ now and probably in the future is kind of in question. Do we think he's ever going to be a better option than Severson at even strength? I don't think that's ever going to be the case. Same question with Vatanen...Probably not. So he's likely destined for 3rd pairing even strength time.

Generally I would agree, trading a dman for a winger is not the way to go given the composition of the roster...But a great offensive player like Hoffman for a guy that is behind at least two guys on the right defensive depth chart and isn't even getting in over Lovejoy? There's a discussion to be had.

yeah i mean i’d love hoffman too...but the price will be steep. and there’s definitely a discussion to be had about santini sitting over lovejoy, but it needs to be with the coaching staff lol

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
With the players we have Lovejoy should be getting zero usage except for 7th D.

Vatanen-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher
Lovejoy
Is how id order it

Where is Moore? Why is Vatanen playing LD when he’s been RD the entire time he’s been here? Have you seen Santini as a first pairing defenseman this year?

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So when Severson couldn’t get in over Lovejoy, should we have traded him for someone like Hoffman?
No, because that’s silly. Severson, age 23, is the best defenseman on the team or at the very least the second best. Santini was never as valuable as Severson. In my view, that was always just plain ridiculous to suggest.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If everyone had to pick a player to go after before the deadline - who is it and for what?

And if you choose not to do anything just dont respond because it’d be silly to answer a question as ‘im not answering the question’

Mine was Shaw from Montreal but he is injured at the moment.

Any trades that would significantly upgrade the Devils at this point would requiring parting with an asset we shouldn't. I'd honestly rather just stand pat for the rest of the season and let the kids experience the stretch run and playoffs. See who thrives and who sinks, let the young guys realize what it takes to win in the playoffs, find out what you truly need to compete, and make changes accordingly. As someone noted, Hall, Bratt, Hischier, and Vatanen's current deals all expire two seasons after this one. I think Shero is going to do his best to compete before then while they're all signed to team-friendly deals.

The way I see it the Devils current needs -- if you're building the ideal team -- are a 1/2C, 2RW, and 1LD. We have just about everything else at this point.

At C, Zajac or Zacha starting to produce could give us passable center depth. Any outside deal to add a center essentially pushes Zacha out of the line-up or to wing and at this point Zacha just needs to play and develop. At RW, you have Bratt/Palmieri in the top-six. Adding a better RW would bolster that side, but it's not really a necessity. As far as the 1LD, we don't add that piece unless we're gutting the roster and future.

Upgrading the 3RW is the only thing I see Shero doing. I wouldn't mind Shaw, but I wouldn't give up much value considering the contract. Something like Kapla + 3rd or Lappin + 3rd would be the most I do. I'd love Stempniak, but I don't see Carolina parting with him. Swapping Stafford for a guy like Jannik Hansen could be another idea as well.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
But he was below Lovejoy on the depth chart so by your logic he should be shipped out
You’re just making things up though. My entire point was that he’s clearly behind Severson and Vatanen on the depth chart now and will be long term because those guys aren’t going anywhere any time soon. So, at best, he’s going to be a third pairing even strength guy. The fact that he’s behind Lovejoy at the moment has nothing to do with his long term place on the team.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
To be clear, I’m not saying “TRADE SANTINI HE STINKS!!!1!”. I’d like to have all three of Severson, Vatanen, and Santini for years. But if he was part of a package to net Hoffman, that would be too big of an ugrade to pass up for me.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Any trades that would significantly upgrade the Devils at this point would requiring parting with an asset we shouldn't. I'd honestly rather just stand pat for the rest of the season and let the kids experience the stretch run and playoffs. See who thrives and who sinks, let the young guys realize what it takes to win in the playoffs, find out what you truly need to compete, and make changes accordingly. As someone noted, Hall, Bratt, Hischier, and Vatanen's current deals all expire two seasons after this one. I think Shero is going to do his best to compete before then while they're all signed to team-friendly deals.

The fact that at some point we will have to start giving out contracts to those guys makes me want to stock up on draft picks and young inexpensive players. I think getting contributions from young players is a key in keeping a team competitive over long stretches.

Also not sure that Vatanen is a guy we will give a contract too. Or at least I expect we will be prudent as to the type of contract we will give.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
no trading defensive prospects for wingers. just, no.

and we would have to add a lot to the zajac-JVR deal. not worth it

This team acquired it's best player by trading a young dman for them. We got Hall by trading our best defenseman, at the time, for him.

If we can acquire a player like Hoffman and use Santini as a piece in that acquisition, you do it.

I like Santini, and I think he is a solid young physical prescience on the back end and could possibly work on his offensive game, or could have better 5 on 5 possession numbers playing with a better dman than Greene, but we have our top 4 on the right side already solidified with Vatanen and Severson. We also have two guys in Butcher and Mueller that are completely capable of playing LD or RD.

Hoffman would be another dangerous piece in the top 6 thanks to his speed and that shot of his.

I mean Santini should be playing over Lovejoy even though Lovejoy hasn't looked horrible out there, but we also have two other guys in Mueller and Butcher that Santini will probably have a hard time playing over since Butcher brings much needed offense from the back end and can play on either side of the puck, something Mueller can also do while also being steady defensively and having a rocket from the back end.

Hoffman is a sniper this team could use but I'm not sure I'd pay the price of Santini+

Why not? Santini isn't cracking the top 4, or at least shouldn't crack the top 4 pairings, when Vatanen and Severson are here. We also have Butcher and Mueller (since both can play on RD) that he may not even be able to play over consistently.

This team needs to play to it's strengths and play up to the strategy they want. Fast, attacking, supportive. On top of his shot, Hoffman brings the speed that would fit in well here and make the team even faster and more dangerous offensively.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If anything, I think we actually have an excess of defensemen. It would be lovely to be able to turn one into a useful piece or draft pick. Idealy we'd ship off Lovejoy, but that's just a pipe dream. Our best trade chip may be Moore. He's going to be a UFA and is having a career year with us this season. If Mueller can re-establish himself next few games, I wouldn't be against shipping Moore off if the price is right.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Hall got fined? What a farce this league is.

That mainboard thread blows my mind.

Am I biased? I really didn't think that hit was more than a 2 minute penalty. Am I taking crazy pills? :laugh:

It was an obvious board but he didn't plaster him into the boards from behind, he made contact away from them but because it was with speed and from behind, he sent Okposo in hard.

I feel like it wasn't a bad call on the ice at all. What do I know lol

Reactions: Darkauron

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
last night was encouraging.

if they can string some wins that adversity and expericing just how hard it is to win in this league will mean so much for bratt, hischier, and butcher, especially this early in their careers.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I hate to say it, but it was unquestionably a penalty, and I don't disagree with the fine. It was really unnecessary. Just cause the league misses other bad hits on us doesn't mean we should sink down to that level.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Trading Santini would be a step backwards for the team. He is one of the better defensive defenseman on the team when used properly. Still not sure how Lovejoy is in over him.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Trading Santini would be a step backwards for the team. He is one of the better defensive defenseman on the team when used properly. Still not sure how Lovejoy is in over him.
And Lars was our top pairing d-man here.

If the return warrants the trade I think you make it.

I just think we would have to add a lot to get someone of Hoffman's abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca