Value of: DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Point is, teams in sports will continue too employ players who can help them regardless if they are a bad person or not. They care about winning above all else, not Morals
The issue with DeAngelo, is that it seems to carry over into the locker room and even his on-ice conduct. This isn't the same as ignoring someone is a terrible human outside of their professional setting.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Say what you will about the Sens dumpster fire of a D-core but while we may suck we aren’t going to add drama to our team so no dice. Despite the fact he’d be an improvement over our depth D-men.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Point is, teams in sports will continue too employ players who can help them regardless if they are a bad person or not. They care about winning above all else, not Morals
They care about money above all else. If the player hurts their brand enough, they'll avoid him regardless.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They care about money above all else. If the player hurts their brand enough, they'll avoid him regardless.

I dont think a team signing DeAngelo will hurt their brand.

The issue with DeAngelo, is that it seems to carry over into the locker room and even his on-ice conduct. This isn't the same as ignoring someone is a terrible human outside of their professional setting.

Yea he doesn't seem to be the best teammate based on some of these stories. But theres never been even an unnamed one who's come out with something against him.

Anyways, I highly highly doubt his NHL career is over. Antonio. Brown was an awful locker room guy but once he met up with Brady, he took a liking to him and now has him playing in the Super Bowl. Sometimes it takes a kick in the arse (such as this) and for another player to try and help.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
he allegedly has a burner account, which admittedly is suspicious reading it.. but could be fake

has a bunch of numbers and letters in the name, but google or twitter search his name + burner and you'll probably find it
If that is him he is insane.

Jul 6, 2016
Trade him to Columbus... He will thrive in that "environment" ...lol !

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
What should happen is whichever team agrees to such a trade(which I don't doubt is unlikely) is to acquire the player, talk to DeAngelo about his problematic behaviour, upon acquiring said player make it clear that he'll enter a 30-60 day rehabilitation image cleanse subsequently apologizing for his past antics. We're in a world where society roots for personal growth and I genuinely believe he'd be accepted into a locker room and fan base if the time was taken for Anthony to mature spritually. Based on my above guidelines, if I'm a team such as Pittsburgh i'd have absolutely no issue offering up John Marino in a straight up swap.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
NYR fans are questioning why ADA wasn't traded in the offseason. I think the reason was that there were no GMs interested due to his character.
Possibly. The more likely reason is that he hadn’t gone off the deep end yet. His standing with the team was good enough to warrant a multi-year deal. Seems as though he’s gotten himself into a bad place mentally since then, for unknown, but pretty easy to figure out, reasons.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
What should happen is whichever team agrees to such a trade(which I don't doubt is unlikely) is to acquire the player, talk to DeAngelo about his problematic behaviour, upon acquiring said player make it clear that he'll enter a 30-60 day rehabilitation image cleanse subsequently apologizing for his past antics. We're in a world where society roots for personal growth and I genuinely believe he'd be accepted into a locker room and fan base if the time was taken for Anthony to mature spritually. Based on my above guidelines, if I'm a team such as Pittsburgh i'd have absolutely no issue offering up John Marino in a straight up swap.
I'd have to think the Rangers would take that in a heartbeat. No way the Pens do this, even in your scenario.

I see little evidence of this right now: "We're in a world where society roots for personal growth"

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Considering half that team supports the same politics DeAngelo does, probably not much.

Until Torts saw DeAngelo play. And then his ass would be stapled to the bench again. Torts doesn't give a damn how skilled you are offensively. If you don't play a rugged defensive style you are in trouble with him.

Eh, you don't necessarily need to disagree with someone's politics to be annoyed by them running whatever the issue of the day is into the ground for the millionth time.

I can think of a couple of people in my life right off the top of my head that are good people that I generally agree with but who become borderline insufferable when talking about certain things. It's like "we've been over this a dozen times man, what do you want me to do?"

"(Issue) is bad"
"Yeah, I agree they should (do thing or several things) to address it."
"(Issue) is REALLY bad"
"Right, like I said.."
"It's a SERIOUS PROBLEM"
"Ok, but..."
"It's bad!"

Reactions: ConorMcGregor

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

If the Penguins traded Marino for DeAngelo they would have to hire a GM simply to have somebody to fire for doing that.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
If the Penguins traded Marino for DeAngelo they would have to hire a GM simply to have somebody to fire for doing that.

Are you insinuating that marino is a better hockey player, off-ice tribulations not withstanding, then deAngelo?

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
He's a massively shitty person.

How do you know this?
He has a short fuse for sure, but it does not mean he is wrong, or a "bad person" (whatever that means). Regular Jersey kid that does not listen.
No one knows what happened in a locker room. Every story has 2 sides. Rangers play bad so frustration mounted. Competitive people get frustrated.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
How do you know this?
He has a short fuse for sure, but it does not mean he is wrong, or a "bad person" (whatever that means). Regular Jersey kid that does not listen.
No one knows what happened in a locker room. Every story has 2 sides. Rangers play bad so frustration mounted. Competitive people get frustrated.

It's been over 8 years of this kind of shit. He's had a dozen wake up calls and opted to hit the snooze button every time. Now he's got all the time he wants to chase his true passion and act like an asshole on Twitter

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Are you insinuating that marino is a better hockey player, off-ice tribulations not withstanding, then deAngelo?
Well his “off-ice tribulations” led to him passing through waivers, so giving up a quality young piece like Marino after that would be silly, even though it would thrill me as a Rangers fan. You simply can’t extricate his issues from his value against other young players - There’s no way Marino would pass through waivers.
Per your question - DeAngelo is better offensively, but Marino is a better defender. I guess it depends on taste.

Reactions: go4hockey

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Whoops, Tony's not having a good week

Daaaayum... he just doesn't know when to stop digging does he?

I dont think a team signing DeAngelo will hurt their brand.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure a player ranting on social media offering to meet fans and fight them irl is probably not what teams look for in terms of brand ambassador.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad