Value of: DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
It’s not “completely debunked” though. Apparently it’s a common enough prank where a vet will pretend to lose the puck. The rumors involve Miller, and others Ranger, not finding DeAngelo’s version of the it a very good natured version of the prank to say the least.

There’s no photo for Miller. There’s a photo of Lafreniere w/ is his 1st goal puck, so it’s not a COVID thing. Some people have made the argument that they don’t “celebrate” losses but players like Kakko got a photo w/ his 1st goal puck from a drubbing in a loss.

Maybe Miller was so broken up by the loss to Buffalo that he didn’t want a photo. Typically though regular season milestone photos aren’t tied to regular season wins or losses.

As others have pointed out, the quote from Miller’s agent is, at best, “a very soft rebuttal”. All the quote says is that, as far as Miller knows, the puck isn’t missing now. That doesn’t disprove the prank story.

The reason people are skeptical about these excuses is that does feel like the Rangers are covering this up with typical ham-fisted spin. It’s almost comical how a typical few team friendly supposed “source leaks” popped up after that story because public. Miller actually broke up the fight! Miller reached out to Tony via text! And his defenders eat up the obvious spin with a spoon.

I believe there’s a real chance DeAngelo did that prank but I wouldn’t swear to it. I also personally don’t want to push for the “truth to come out” because it doesn’t look like Miller wants to be forced to talk about. If Miller himself doesn’t want talk about it then what does all this grandstanding get us?

And Miller’s position is understandable, young non-white players’ careers don’t do well after they complain about this sort of thing. It’s grotesque, but Miller would be seen as a trouble maker for airing the team’s dirty laundry.

That’s why I don’t want this drag into interviews with Miller about DeAngelo. Miller turned 21 twelve days ago, why does he be the adult in the room and unpack this for everybody? He’s not the asshole.

And If you want to believe Rangers management handwaving and spin on this as concrete proof the prank didn’t at all go right ahead, I don’t need to play internet debate club.

Carp started that rumor by speculating, saying without evidence that sometimes pranks like that happen. Later, he reiterated that it was just baseless speculation, and added that he had since spoken to a Rangers VP of press relations, who said Miller didn't get a picture because the Rangers aren't traveling with their full PR contingent due to Covid.

Reactions: Guttersniped

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Carp started that rumor by speculating, saying without evidence that sometimes pranks like that happen. Later, he reiterated that it was just baseless speculation, and added that he had since spoken to a Rangers VP of press relations, who said Miller didn't get a picture because the Rangers aren't traveling with their full PR contingent due to Covid.

No one in the locker room had a phone?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don't agree. Please pre-clutch your pearls... ok, ready?

Words like "g*y" or harsher variants have a long history of being used as generic pejoratives. It isn't hard to imagine that there are pockets of this still around, evidently in some NJ suburbs of Philly. Norms are changing and it is becoming unacceptable, and meanwhile the idea that intent matters is also going away. The combination of these things seems to have us in a place where the difference between using it as a generic insult (i.e. nobody is literally instructing someone to do any particular act when they say "go f- yourself") is equated with intolerance. Yes, they contribute to intolerance and it is reasonable for polite society to discourage it (say with 8 game suspensions -- and good on Trevor Letowski or whoever made the call for taking a stand to make the point, even though it was his best player), but they aren't directly indicative of bigotry, rather than simple insensitivity. There's a difference -- I get that people want to draw a hard line and treat everything over it exactly the same but I can't make sense of that. Going from "he used a homophobic slur 7 years ago" to "I believe he probably mistreats minorities today" is a pretty crazy leap, but that's what people are doing.

As always, I'm ready to update my view if there is more evidence but I think we have to stop the slide of not caring about the facts as soon as someone fails a purity test.
The fact is that the guy is 25 and three separate NHL franchises have already decided to move on from him. The Rangers tried to literally give him away for free and had no takers.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

Words like "g*y" or harsher variants have a long history of being used as generic pejoratives. It isn't hard to imagine that there are pockets of this still around, evidently in some NJ suburbs of Philly. Norms are changing and it is becoming unacceptable, and meanwhile the idea that intent matters is also going away. The combination of these things seems to have us in a place where the difference between using it as a generic insult (i.e. nobody is literally instructing someone to do any particular act when they say "go f- yourself") is equated with intolerance. Yes, they contribute to intolerance and it is reasonable for polite society to discourage it (say with 8 game suspensions -- and good on Trevor Letowski or whoever made the call for taking a stand to make the point, even though it was his best player), but they aren't directly indicative of bigotry, rather than simple insensitivity. There's a difference -- I get that people want to draw a hard line and treat everything over it exactly the same but I can't make sense of that. Going from "he used a homophobic slur 7 years ago" to "I believe he probably mistreats minorities today" is a pretty crazy leap, but that's what people are doing.

As always, I'm ready to update my view if there is more evidence but I think we have to stop the slide of not caring about the facts as soon as someone fails a purity test.
so we should give him a pass because of his upbringing?

the slurs are just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to deangelo. the rangers cut him because he's a toxic presence in the locker room. its that simple

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I doubt the puck incident strictly because I don't think teammates/organization would have let that fly but I wouldn't be surprised about the 'concerns' report regarding DeAngelo's relationship with Miller. The former's a total loser and an obvious bigot who has no capacity to hide it, even when millions are at stake so...

Reactions: Terry Yake

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
DeAngelo immediately grabbed the puck out of the net after the goal and came right to Miller. I don't know how much I believe this puck story, I also don't put anything past DeAngelo. I guess we'll find out over time.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

Everyone should put down their pitchforks and read this reasonable, sober-minded comment. Thanks, blindpass.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Deangelo is also deleting IG posts as well as progressively removing the comments entirely on his most recent posts because he's getting absolutely ethered on there.

Whats best for the kid is to stay the hell off social media for a long time and slowly keep his mouth shut and go into some sensitivity training or something, its his only shot to get back into the NHL long term

Reactions: notsocommonsense

blindpass

May 7, 2010
so we should give him a pass because of his upbringing?

the slurs are just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to deangelo. the rangers cut him because he's a toxic presence in the locker room. its that simple

I'd like to say I'm stunned that this is your response to what I wrote... but I'm not.

No, we should give him a pass on the OHL slurs because 1) There's no evidence he's continued it, 2) He faced consequences and acknowledge it was wrong, and 3) It probably wasn't the crime people are painting it out to be.

At no point have I argued that the Rangers were wrong to waive him or that he wasn't treated fairly by the Rangers, I've said the opposite if you look. I'm arguing against irresponsible stretching of the facts that are used to vilify -- the facts aren't great for him either, even without embellishment.

Reactions: duckpuck

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
No, we should give him a pass on the OHL slurs because 1) There's no evidence he's continued it, 2) He faced consequences and acknowledge it was wrong, and 3) It probably wasn't the crime people are painting it out to be.

At no point have I argued that the Rangers were wrong to waive him or that he wasn't treated fairly by the Rangers, I've said the opposite if you look. I'm arguing against irresponsible stretching of the facts that are used to vilify -- the facts aren't great for him either, without embellishment.
when did he acknowledge it was wrong?

if it was one instance and he hadn't had any issues since then, you could say it was just a "dumb mistake because he was a teen" or something like that. but no, he was suspended twice for the same reason. just because he was brought up a certain way or whether or not there was "intent" in his slur, doesn't change the fact that his usage of them was bad enough that his own team decided to take action instead of waiting for the league to discipline him.

and since then, he's worn out his welcome with at least two different organizations. that sounds like someone who has changed to you? let's stop making him look like a victim

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even at 50% + 1st im not sure there are takers...
I'd pounce on that and then waive him the instant he does something stupid again. Free 1st, after all.

* * *​
Trade him to Columbus... He will thrive in that "environment" ...lol !
I doubt it; he doesn't seem to respond well to discipline, and the locker room here prides itself on professionalism.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Deangelo is also deleting IG posts as well as progressively removing the comments entirely on his most recent posts because he's getting absolutely ethered on there.

Whats best for the kid is to stay the hell off social media for a long time and slowly keep his mouth shut and go into some sensitivity training or something, its his only shot to get back into the NHL long term

Agreed, if he could just avoid social media and clear his mind maybe he could be in a better place

blindpass

May 7, 2010
when did he acknowledge it was wrong?

if it was one instance and he hadn't had any issues since then, you could say it was just a "dumb mistake because he was a teen" or something like that. but no, he was suspended twice for the same reason. just because he was brought up a certain way or whether or not there was "intent" in his slur, doesn't change the fact that his usage of them was bad enough that his own team decided to take action instead of waiting for the league to discipline him.

and since then, he's worn out his welcome with at least two different organizations. that sounds like someone who has changed to you? let's stop making him look like a victim

>> Adding your next reply here:
>> "Of course he'd say that, it means nothing, he's just saying what he knows he has to say."

FWIW Contrition... no reported incidents after this.
Prospector Files: Sarnia's DeAngelo looks to move on - NHL.com - News

You don't read what I write. I don't think he's a great guy. I'm not defending him, I'm defending the idea that the truth matters.

I genuinely think that your penchant to ignore half of what is written and not care about facts is a much greater moral failure than using a slur as an insult. Where are we now?

Reactions: duckpuck

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
FWIW Contrition... no reported incidents after this.
Prospector Files: Sarnia's DeAngelo looks to move on - NHL.com - News

You don't read what I write. I don't think he's a great guy. I'm not defending him, I'm defending the idea that the truth matters.

I genuinely think that your penchant to ignore half of what is written and not care about facts is a much greater moral failure than using a slur as an insult. Where are we now?
Was this after the first or second time he used a slur against someone?

Jesus you're going to hurt yourself bending over backwards for this guy.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
This is a very weird person to chose to defend as its painfully obvious hes a cancer to his teams.

Last year he was doing great

If Matt freaking Cooke can cut out headshots, DeAngelo can cut out the "sarcastic remarks" to his goalie

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The fact is that the guy is 25 and three separate NHL franchises have already decided to move on from him. The Rangers tried to literally give him away for free and had no takers.

It wasn't for free. Try to stick to facts

Anyone who would have claimed him, would have had to take on his 4,8M$ salary & cap hit.

In a salary cap league, basically every single big cap hit player will go through the waivers - the ones that wouldn't will never be put on waivers.

If the Rangers are willing to give him up actually for "free" (= take on another salary/cap dump in the neighbourhood of 5M$), there will EASILY be takers

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
This post made me laugh. Does Georgiev have a history of being a problem? Was Georgiev presently causing issues within the team to the point of being told one more f*** up and you’re gone?

I love the part about Deangelo “getting in trouble cuz people today are fragile”. Heaven forbid he should be accountable for his own actions. It’s everybody else’s fault cuz they can’t adjust to Deangelo! It’s his world after all.

So you think any player who gets any criticism from anyone (teammate / coach / GM etc), is allowed to punch the critic?

Would it have been OK for Dubois to punch Tortorella, after he kept yelling at him?

Reactions: HabsAddict

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
One guy spoke and the other punched a teammate in the face.

The one who took physical violence into their hands was the one the team sided with, that should put into perspective how much of a clown DeAngelo is. Anyone who defends him is just as big of an idiot as DeAngelo is.
Players get into physical altercations with teammates all the time.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Would Lucic for Deangelo make sense?

A) As a Flames fan who wants Lucic to just retire, I don't want DeAngelo anywhere near my team.

B) After the Peters fiasco from last year, there is lower than a 0% chance the Flames take this clown.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
So you think any player who gets any criticism from anyone (teammate / coach / GM etc), is allowed to punch the critic?

Would it have been OK for Dubois to punch Tortorella, after he kept yelling at him?

He can do it. Rangers also has the right to can his sorry ass because they feel like DeAngelo sucks as a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille