Value of: DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I honestly think some team will a take a chance on him, there will be a short lived backlash, but they'll weather the storm like they always do and with how quick the news cycle is it will be forgotten about in a week once the next big scandal happens.

Remember when everyone wanted OSU to fire Urban Meyer? Or the intense media storm the WWE faced over the decision to go on with their Saudi Arabia show after Jamal Khashoggi's murder? Everyone was calling for Vince McMahon to be thrown in jail, now he sold his network for a billion dollars.

Reactions: awegrzyn and Voight

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That Rangers press conference with Gorton and Davidson was a bit weird in tone.

They seemed to downplay a lot of DeAngelo's more public issues and reputation, spoke positively of his on ice success last year, and the said the decision was based on a desire to win.

I wouldn't doubt there are probably some legal issues in terms of not airing dirty laundry, but I don't know how you come down so decisively on the disciplinary action while tap dancing around the reason why.

They want this to go away is the most likely reason.

They know there is a loud chunk of chuds who will defend anything this dirtbag does and they don't want to deal with it. They just want him gone.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That Rangers press conference with Gorton and Davidson was a bit weird in tone.

They seemed to downplay a lot of DeAngelo's more public issues and reputation, spoke positively of his on ice success last year, and the said the decision was based on a desire to win.

I wouldn't doubt there are probably some legal issues in terms of not airing dirty laundry, but I don't know how you come down so decisively on the disciplinary action while tap dancing around the reason why.

They had to downplay it because that idiot blogger recklessly tied Miller to DeAngelo's actions. Had they started to air out some of the dirty laundry, that would have opened the floodgates for "oh if DeAngelo did this, then he did that as well" which would have terrible implications for Miller and the entire organization if they allowed a minority player to be a victim of racial attacks.

Just think about if the reports about DeAngelo's treatment of Miller were true, it would be a scandal on a national scale that would cost JD, Gorton, Quinn and every single person who works for the team their jobs and would mean the Rangers locker room was rotten to the core and would have to blown up, not just DeAngelo, but the entire team.

It would have destroyed the entire Rangers brand. The blogger really really really screwed up and owes KA Miller a massive apology for using him as a pawn to push an agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Q will glare the kid to death.
No thanks. We will find a different way to move Yandle
Definitely won't fit into the culture FLA is trying to build
honestly no team tries to build a culture, where ada actually fits in. the rangers is looking for a trade partner, which is desperate enough to make an exception because of his talent level.
i wouldn't bet on any team. but i think it's more likely a team, who hopes his addition can help to push them into the playoffs or closer to contention and needs to shed a deadweight contract to do so. i think lak, ott, det and njd are out of it. they would pursue other avenues to improve their teams first. sjs has some contracts they would love to move, but karlsson, burns and vlasic have so rich and long running deals, that the trade would need some extensions (smith?). the rangers might prefer to deal with ada in the minor system before one of these anchor contracts.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
If the Rags are waiving a 50pts RHD then he really must be a shitnugget. Case closed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I do think ADA will catch on elsewhere though. Maybe not this season, but professional sports have taken guys back that have done things a lot worse that he reportedly has. If a guy can play, teams get over it.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
His personality isn't for everyone. Shocked no mention of him skating with local youth players all summer and offering his assistance to help them out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

5:13

DeAngelo couldn't let being a healthy scratch go, he was making a scene. Jeff Gorton explicitly warned him if there was another incident involving him, he would be waived. He was....

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They had to downplay it because that idiot blogger recklessly tied Miller to DeAngelo's actions. Had they started to air out some of the dirty laundry, that would have opened the floodgates for "oh if DeAngelo did this, then he did that as well" which would have terrible implications for Miller and the entire organization if they allowed a minority player to be a victim of racial attacks.

Just think about if the reports about DeAngelo's treatment of Miller were true, it would be a scandal on a national scale that would cost JD, Gorton, Quinn and every single person who works for the team their jobs and would mean the Rangers locker room was rotten to the core and would have to blown up, not just DeAngelo, but the entire team.

It would have destroyed the entire Rangers brand. The blogger really really really screwed up and owes KA Miller a massive apology for using him as a pawn to push an agenda.

Yeah, my feeling would be that there’s a whole history of problems with this player and while he was putting up points they must have let a lot of shady things slide. Now that the team is losing, the player is struggling and these altercations with teammates has become untenable its time to cut bait. Very reasonably. But if the public knew more there’s a possibility that whatever Gorton, Quinn and even Davidson let slide would be a mark against the organization.

Ugly situation. Really underscores the importance of having good people and a good culture and not compromise these basic principles. It’s not so much high and mighty but just the collateral damage if you let the wrong people into the organization.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What exactly happened on Saturday between DeAngelo and Georgiev

DeAngelo made a sarcastic comment at Georgiev, Georgiev clocked him and then the Rangers said "we're waiving you" to DeAngelo because he was being a giant man-baby about being scratched and they said "if you do anything else, we're getting rid of you".

Reactions: BatVader

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really think it should be noted how much other shit DeAngelo has had to have done with the Rangers to be waived for this incident. You can point to examples of teammates fighting relatively often, how often do they escalate to something like this?

The fact that the Rangers said "we're done with you" just because of this incident should make everyone realize that there was way more crap going on beyond the scenes with him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The situation reminds me a bit of the Zach Kassian stint with the Canadiens, where Bergevin told Kassian that if he did something stupid (can't remember if it was specifically alcohol-related), he'd be waived, case-closed. Kassian got involved in a messy and DUI car crash and that was the end of that.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
4wdpv2.jpg

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
I know these things go hand-in-hand but I wish this thread was less 'Tony's a jerk' and more off-the-wall trade ideas. The first has been pretty well established.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

he used a slur(s) that was homophobic and/or racist. one isn't any better than the other. not sure why people keep trying to deny that this happened. oh, and he was suspended twice for violating the same rule. it was clearly bad enough considering his own team went to the league to report it

I don't agree. Please pre-clutch your pearls... ok, ready?

Words like "g*y" or harsher variants have a long history of being used as generic pejoratives. It isn't hard to imagine that there are pockets of this still around, evidently in some NJ suburbs of Philly. Norms are changing and it is becoming unacceptable, and meanwhile the idea that intent matters is also going away. The combination of these things seems to have us in a place where the difference between using it as a generic insult (i.e. nobody is literally instructing someone to do any particular act when they say "go f- yourself") is equated with intolerance. Yes, they contribute to intolerance and it is reasonable for polite society to discourage it (say with 8 game suspensions -- and good on Trevor Letowski or whoever made the call for taking a stand to make the point, even though it was his best player), but they aren't directly indicative of bigotry, rather than simple insensitivity. There's a difference -- I get that people want to draw a hard line and treat everything over it exactly the same but I can't make sense of that. Going from "he used a homophobic slur 7 years ago" to "I believe he probably mistreats minorities today" is a pretty crazy leap, but that's what people are doing.

As always, I'm ready to update my view if there is more evidence but I think we have to stop the slide of not caring about the facts as soon as someone fails a purity test.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I know these things go hand-in-hand but I wish this thread was less 'Tony's a jerk' and more off-the-wall trade ideas. The first has been pretty well established.

I don’t think anyone has the slightest clue what the value is or if there is even value to be had at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad