Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It looks really good, but still not quite "I'm now convinced to spend $1600 on a video card" good. :laugh:

Also, it's amusing how they're showing off sub-30 framerates being boosted to 130 via frame generation when most PC gamers would consider the still sub-30fps input lag to be completely unacceptable.
I have seen people point out that the downside of DLSS and Frame Gen is companies being even more lazy about optimization.

I think thats a solid concern.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It looks really good, but still not quite "I'm now convinced to spend $1600 on a video card" good. :laugh:

Also, it's amusing how they're showing off sub-30 framerates being boosted to 130 via frame generation when most PC gamers would consider the still sub-30fps input lag to be completely unacceptable.
Frame generation will double the frame rate at most so I would assume DLSS 2 performance mode is being used there. The game is running at an internal resolution of 1080p at around 65 fps, then doubled via frame generation to 130.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Frame generation will double the frame rate at most so I would assume DLSS 2 performance mode is being used there. The game is running at an internal resolution of 1080p at around 65 fps, then doubled via frame generation to 130.
Good point. So, the input lag is equivalent to about 65fps. That's a lot better than sub-30fps, but reinforces that we may need a 4090 for it to be considered playable (since any other card would feel like a lot less than 60fps), which I'm sure would suit Nvidia just fine.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Good point. So, the input lag is equivalent to about 65fps. That's a lot better than sub-30fps, but reinforces that we may need a 4090 for it to be considered playable (since any other card would feel like a lot less than 60fps), which I'm sure would suit Nvidia just fine.
I think dlss3 actually adds input lag on top, so it would have more input lag than 60 fps. But don’t quote me on that. A couple of those shots in the trailer did look like a genuine graphical leap, however I hate to say it no matter what raytracing they add, daytime just doesn’t look good in this game.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think dlss3 actually adds input lag on top, so it would have more input lag than 60 fps. But don’t quote me on that. A couple of those shots in the trailer did look like a genuine graphical leap, however I hate to say it no matter what raytracing they add, daytime just doesn’t look good in this game.
That's my understanding. Frame generation has to add some input lag because it delays each real frame in order to insert a generated frame before it. I'm just not sure if it's a noticeable amount or not, since I haven't used the feature and hardly anyone measures input lag because it's tricky.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I gotta restart this game. I started it on PC and was a bit disappointed (I bought the hype hard as TW3 is a top 3 game of all time for me). The world felt too static for me, hated the driving, etc. Same complaints as most, though I rarely hit any bugs.

That being said, I actually did enjoy playing it, it just wasn't what I hoped. My problem is I let myself get too sidetracked with all the extra missions and jobs and burnt out near the end of the Pam (I think? The one out in the desert) mission line.

It's time that I restart with the knowledge that I shouldn't stop at every possible job that pops up. The gunplay and story was pretty great IIRC.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I gotta restart this game. I started it on PC and was a bit disappointed (I bought the hype hard as TW3 is a top 3 game of all time for me). The world felt too static for me, hated the driving, etc. Same complaints as most, though I rarely hit any bugs.

That being said, I actually did enjoy playing it, it just wasn't what I hoped. My problem is I let myself get too sidetracked with all the extra missions and jobs and burnt out near the end of the Pam (I think? The one out in the desert) mission line.

It's time that I restart with the knowledge that I shouldn't stop at every possible job that pops up. The gunplay and story was pretty great IIRC.

I got burnt out exactly at the same point. It's funny, because I have a third of the hours I had in the Witcher 3, if not less, and never felt like that in that game. IMO, it's because cyberpunk just isn't that good of a story or game. It's often a chore.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I got burnt out exactly at the same point. It's funny, because I have a third of the hours I had in the Witcher 3, if not less, and never felt like that in that game. IMO, it's because cyberpunk just isn't that good of a story or game. It's often a chore.

I finished the game and felt the story was actually pretty decent.

The missions were well-designed and had enough variety to keep them interesting.

That being said, the driving never felt right, the world feels empty and non-responsive, and I never got the same feeling of being captivated by the world the way I was with RDR2. The side-missions were repetitive. A few were really fun, but most were just ways to grind for xp.

A very uneven experience, I’d say.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I will die on the hill of this game being better than the Witcher series :laugh:

Much better combat and build options are the main thing for me, the more interesting setting helps as well. I really enjoy the stealth infiltration style of the missions. Witcher 3 does have Gwent though.

I'm sure it will be playable on cards other than the 4090, just not at 4K and what are likely the max settings. Portal RTX had settings relating to the number of light bounces which affected performance significantly, I'm sure this will be the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Witcher 3 is the most overrated game I've ever played. There's a reason why open world games set in a primitive time period are a dime a dozen and it's because it's all trees and hills. Oh look, a cabin! The story's too long, the controls suck, the combat sucks, and Geralt's voice actor gives me a migraine.

Having said that CP ain't perfect but I'll play it over W3 any day.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Witcher 3 is the most overrated game I've ever played. There's a reason why open world games set in a primitive time period are a dime a dozen and it's because it's all trees and hills. Oh look, a cabin! The story's too long, the controls suck, the combat sucks, and Geralt's voice actor gives me a migraine.

Having said that CP ain't perfect but I'll play it over W3 any day.
CP should have probably skipped paying for Keanu and focused that money more into the game.

Also a huge disagree with most of your post.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
CP should have probably skipped paying for Keanu and focused that money more into the game.

Also a huge disagree with most of your post.
Money would not have mattered since that wasn't the problem. It was the troubled development, the rushed release of the game in a broken state and without many of the promised and promoted features.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Money would not have mattered since that wasn't the problem. It was the troubled development, the rushed release of the game in a broken state and without many of the promised and promoted features.
I don’t know I would have to think an extra 30 million dollars could have helped with some of that at along the way. :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don’t know I would have to think an extra 30 million dollars could have helped with some of that at along the way. :laugh:
It would have had to be budgeted way earlier. The game ran into a nightmare of issues because they re-worked a game engine while in actual development. By the time they had the hype on the game to justify brining in Keanu it was likely too late. Although, maybe it's addition by subtration since they apparently had to re-work a ton of stuff to put him in it which further hindered development.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The update is out. I gave it a shot on my PC (5900x/3080) and found it was surprisingly playable on DLSS performance mode at 1440p (40-60 FPS). It isn't perfect as I believe the game is being upscaled from 720p and there are obvious artifacts but I'm having fun just walking around the city.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
OT: PC gamers care way too much about performance. The differences are small whenever I’ve seen the side by side comparisons.

Graphics are what they are, seems like you Master Race gamers are trying to squeeze blood from a stone more often than not.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
OT: PC gamers care way too much about performance. The differences are small whenever I’ve seen the side by side comparisons.

Graphics are what they are, seems like you Master Race gamers are trying to squeeze blood from a stone more often than not.
Yeah I guess I'm just more of a casual gamer but to me and my untrained eye, some of the frames showing the difference between the game with and without ray tracing, the frames without it would sometimes look better or maybe more aesthetically pleasing for a video game.

But then again I am perfectly fine with 1080p 60 fps and would probably be fine with just a Steam Deck, a mini PC with integrated graphics, or one of the new consoles once I replace my Xbox One. I've wanted to build a new PC but the power consumption/heat (probably a minor nitpick) of new GPUs and CPUs and the prices just don't seem worth it to me. Like if I wanted to build a mediocre PC, I'd rather just buy something prebuilt like the aforementioned options.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Did you watch the video I posted above? In a lot of scenes the difference between rasterization (AKA what you see on consoles) vs. the new path tracing mode is quite obvious, especially in areas that aren't directly lit.

Screenshot 2023-04-11 185137.png

Screenshot 2023-04-11 185151.png

Also, wouldn't the console developers be the ones squeezing blood from a stone as they are trying to get the best possible graphics out of low end hardware instead of taking advantage of the best to showcase tech that will be standard in the future like this game?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

Some people need to justify the fact that they paid through the nose for their GPUs. They need that sweet validation.

The truth is that most people are happy with fluid gameplay and right now unless you have a high-end GPU; the performance tradeoff of ray tracing simply isn't worth it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

This isn't a case of caring too much about performance, though. It's rather the opposite: giving up performance in exchange for improved visuals.

It's true that the difference between ray tracing being on vs off in most games isn't all that significant, but that's because the vast majority of games are only partially ray traced. This Overdrive mode is different because it implements full ray tracing, often called path tracing. It's how professionally rendered scenes are lit and is incredibly hardware demanding, hence why most games have implemented only partial, lackluster ray tracing. It's exciting to see it in a current game, even if only a few percent of gamers have the hardware to play with it on. It's the future, though, like how 4K TVs were when only the rich could afford them and they seemed pointless to everyone else because 1080p looked good enough and there was no 4K content. Eventually, path tracing will be standard in all AAA games, everyone will have hardware that'll handle it and it'll be hard to go back. That'll take a while, but this is a cool step and gives us something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I just find it funny that when a console game that is graphically impressive comes out, like Horizon Forbidden West, everyone praises it, nobody has a problem. But when a free update showcasing the future of gaming technology comes out only on PC, PC gamers are graphics snobs trying to justify their purchase by playing it. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad