Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No real info yet..hope its not like saints row in the future. Definitely be keeping an eye on it though.

Edit - his car is badass

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Not enough details out there for me to get hyped, but I'm very hopeful with this one. The Witcher 3 did little for me largely because of me not caring about the world it's set in, but a cyberpunk RPG? Now that's a setting I can sink my teeth into.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm a fantasy/ history geek, I'm really not that much into sci-fi of any sorts, including cyberpunk... But I will play the s**t out of this game.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is one of those games that you can have complete faith in it based on who made it. Even if you didn't necessarily like The Witcher 3, you can't deny the amount of effort, care and attention to detail that was put into that game.

The tone of the trailer/world threw me a bit as I was expecting something a lot more dark and moody (ie. Blade Runner). This does give me some GTA vibes for sure, and the colors are so vivid that I even thought of Sunset Overdrive.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
This is one of those games that you can have complete faith in it based on who made it. Even if you didn't necessarily like The Witcher 3, you can't deny the amount of effort, care and attention to detail that was put into that game.

The tone of the trailer/world threw me a bit as I was expecting something a lot more dark and moody (ie. Blade Runner). This does give me some GTA vibes for sure, and the colors are so vivid that I even thought of Sunset Overdrive.

I think the majority of the trailer being in the daytime was a conscious choice by CDPR in order to subvert the expectation for visuals that Blade Runner has created for the cyberpunk genre.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I think the majority of the trailer being in the daytime was a conscious choice by CDPR in order to subvert the expectation for visuals that Blade Runner has created for the cyberpunk genre.

0bb726cd-ad7e-4a34-bsoxa1.jpeg

Pondsmith made the tabletop game the franchise is based on. 100 hours of only dark, rainy night would be boring.

Impressions and details from the closed doors demos are now out there.

Cyberpunk Info from GameSpot Stream:
  • Game is FPS perspective
  • FPS perspective made to feel more personal
  • RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
  • Multiple different progression systems (Skills, Perks, etc.)
  • V, protagonist - urban merc/hired gun.
  • Full character creation system (Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory)
  • You DO NOT pick classes in the beginning, class system is fluid based on choices
  • Dystopian Cyberpunk future shown in sunlight on purpose. Full Day/Night Cycle. Noir themes bleed through environment and aesthetic
  • Characters from Cyberpunk 2020 lore will appear
  • Netrunner Techie and Solo are main focused classes
  • You can combine classes
  • Optional classes exist (like Rockerboy and Corporate) and you can pull perks from them to add into your own custom class
  • Story and quest system from Witcher 3 is implemented into Cyberpunk similarly.
  • Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
  • Story is personalized by player choice.
  • Combat - Ranged combat and Melee combat. Learned lessons from Witcher 3. FPS Melee combat.
  • Weapons - 3 branches - Power Weapons (heavy hitting/stagger), Tech Weapons (penetrating through cover), Smart Weapons (tracking/following)
  • Vehicles - Motorcycles, Cars, hinted at flying cars.
  • V is a fully voiced character. Both Male and Female completely voiced.
  • V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.
  • Cyberpunk is a dark dystopia in the same vein as Witcher 3 being Dark Fantasy
  • Details of the world - everything has a purpose. World design was a huge focus in setting the tone.
  • Night City - in between SF and LA (fictional city). Inspired by both cities.
  • 6 unique districts in the city. Each area has its own feel on top of the base Noir feel
  • Exploration is encouraged.
  • Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge.
  • You can enter buildings, Mega Buildings exist as well with multiple floors and multiple areas to explore within a single building.
  • No level scaling. 2 forms of XP - Core XP - Main Missions and Street Cred - Side missions
  • Higher Street Cred opens new exclusive vendors and fixers (new jobs)
More details emerge via IGN:
  • Gunplay is faster than Deus Ex but slower than Borderlands
  • Mantis arm blades melee weapon (seen in teaser image with the lady)
  • Wall Run traversal ability
  • Stealth mechanics exist, no specifics yet
  • IGN details a sequence where the player does a stealth takedown on an enemy and then jacks into the enemy to get a schematic layout of the base the player was infiltrating.
  • Branching dialogue options
  • Open world is limited by Street Cred - certain areas unaccessible without the right level of Street Cred
  • Clothing affects Street Cred
  • Main Stats: Strength Constitution Intelligence Reflexes Tech Cool
  • Side Quests can give you special upgrades and unique body parts unavailable elsewhere. Higher Street Cred gets you access to more side missions.
  • Upgrades to your character directly affect your UI and your gameplay.
  • Examples: Subdermal Grip increases V's gun damage and adds ammo counter to the UI, Optical upgrade allows V to Zoom in and Scan enemies/vehicles
  • Four different damage types: Physical, Thermal, EMP, Chemical
  • Scanning enemies can expose their weaknesses
  • Equipment and Chip slots exist. Chip slot example: Dog-Sized Robot Spider follows and fights for V
  • Drivable cars in huge sprawling city. City size still unknown. Driving freedom doesnt seem as open as it is in GTA V however.
  • Mobile fights - V leans out of the car to shoot assailants as AI companion drives
  • You can switch between third person and first person perspective WHILE DRIVING. First Person Perspective shows the Car's Dashboard UI
  • Buildings are TALL. V has to use elevators to go through the various floors.
  • Traditional RPG consumables are mentioned
  • De-escalating some situations via conversation is entirely possible
  • Casual conversation dialogue pops up as you're roaming around
  • Dialogue is more fluid than Witcher 3
  • First Person camera contributes to the liveliness of the city
  • "Mature Experience intended for Mature Audiences"
  • Nudity and Sexual Content confirmed.
  • "...Romancing" options confirmed.
  • Aside from Driving, cutscenes will also switch to third person perspective, upgrading V is also done in third person perspective.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I f***ing love this. I love this so much. I am a huge Deus Ex fan and this may just completely blow that out of the water. I need this in my f***ing veins.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think of this game as what I wanted Deus Ex Mankind Divided to be.

Mankind Divided would have been great if Square Enix clearly didn't cleave the game in half to provide room for a sequel (a sequel that may never happen due to sub-85 Metacritic score and only "solid" sales). Human Revolution was one of the best games of the last generation and MD would have been as well if it was twice as long.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
0bb726cd-ad7e-4a34-bsoxa1.jpeg

Pondsmith made the tabletop game the franchise is based on. 100 hours of only dark, rainy night would be boring.

Impressions and details from the closed doors demos are now out there.

Cyberpunk Info from GameSpot Stream:
  • Game is FPS perspective
  • FPS perspective made to feel more personal
  • RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
  • Multiple different progression systems (Skills, Perks, etc.)
  • V, protagonist - urban merc/hired gun.
  • Full character creation system (Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory)
  • You DO NOT pick classes in the beginning, class system is fluid based on choices
  • Dystopian Cyberpunk future shown in sunlight on purpose. Full Day/Night Cycle. Noir themes bleed through environment and aesthetic
  • Characters from Cyberpunk 2020 lore will appear
  • Netrunner Techie and Solo are main focused classes
  • You can combine classes
  • Optional classes exist (like Rockerboy and Corporate) and you can pull perks from them to add into your own custom class
  • Story and quest system from Witcher 3 is implemented into Cyberpunk similarly.
  • Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
  • Story is personalized by player choice.
  • Combat - Ranged combat and Melee combat. Learned lessons from Witcher 3. FPS Melee combat.
  • Weapons - 3 branches - Power Weapons (heavy hitting/stagger), Tech Weapons (penetrating through cover), Smart Weapons (tracking/following)
  • Vehicles - Motorcycles, Cars, hinted at flying cars.
  • V is a fully voiced character. Both Male and Female completely voiced.
  • V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.
  • Cyberpunk is a dark dystopia in the same vein as Witcher 3 being Dark Fantasy
  • Details of the world - everything has a purpose. World design was a huge focus in setting the tone.
  • Night City - in between SF and LA (fictional city). Inspired by both cities.
  • 6 unique districts in the city. Each area has its own feel on top of the base Noir feel
  • Exploration is encouraged.
  • Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge.
  • You can enter buildings, Mega Buildings exist as well with multiple floors and multiple areas to explore within a single building.
  • No level scaling. 2 forms of XP - Core XP - Main Missions and Street Cred - Side missions
  • Higher Street Cred opens new exclusive vendors and fixers (new jobs)

Mike Pondsmith's statement should be all anyone needs to feel secure that this is going to be a true-to the-genre game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Mankind Divided would have been great if Square Enix clearly didn't cleave the game in half to provide room for a sequel (a sequel that may never happen due to sub-85 Metacritic score and only "solid" sales). Human Revolution was one of the best games of the last generation and MD would have been as well if it was twice as long.

Yep, HR was f***ing outstanding. Seriously, splitting the game was dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad