Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Expansion is getting 9's and 10's everywhere. Looking forward to getting the game finally, when I'm ready to put Starfield down.

Reactions: Andrei79

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I got an Xbox Series X (had been planning on it for a while, just needed a reason) for Starfield.

I also see that Cyberpunk's on sale for the next few days, including DLC. I'm probably going to get it, because I really like the open world FPS. Are there any concerns about performance on current gen console vs PC? I remember seeing some articles that PS4s and Xbones couldn't hang way back when it came out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I got an Xbox Series X (had been planning on it for a while, just needed a reason) for Starfield.

I also see that Cyberpunk's on sale for the next few days, including DLC. I'm probably going to get it, because I really like the open world FPS. Are there any concerns about performance on current gen console vs PC? I remember seeing some articles that PS4s and Xbones couldn't hang way back when it came out.
I've played for about 10-15 hours, but going to restart with the new patch coming out. I playing on PS5 and came across just a couple of bugs and all of them were cosmetic and not gameplay-orientated.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I've played for about 10-15 hours, but going to restart with the new patch coming out. I playing on PS5 and came across just a couple of bugs and all of them were cosmetic and not gameplay-orientated.

I kept from starting the game basically because I heard about the patch. Reinstalled the game today on PC ready for the patch.

EDIT: Had to put in a word.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

It runs fine on Xbox series x and PS5. Nothing to worry about.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This is looking real, real good. I stopped playing two years ago wanting to have the complete game and this looks like it. Lots of mods available too.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Very excited to give this a shot today, I played quite a bit after I upgraded my setup a few months ago (just doing random gigs and NCPD stuff) and RT Overdrive mode is amazing but my one issue was with the image quality. It seems DLSS 3.5 will help that out quite a bit.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Cyberpunk 2077 may be the most successful flop of all time. Within weeks of launch, the RPG had sold 13 million copies, even accounting for dissatisfied players refunding the game. It made its eight year budget back in a single day. But those accomplishments couldn't stop Cyberpunk from widely being seen as a disappointment.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Are there any concerns about performance on current gen console vs PC?
None. It really wasn’t bad on PS4 either. I bought it on disc and it was fine. Sure it was a bit buggy but nothing earth shattering.

The Witcher 3 was astronomically worse and it became GOTY.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It's cool to see comeback stories like this game and No Man's Sky but at the same time we known that it happened because those are games from smaller studios. If they did not fix those games then their reputation would be heavily tarnished which would hurt their next release. They can't just ignore it and move on like much bigger studios and publishers can.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Haven’t played this since around launch time and never finished. Decided to wait until something like this happened so I’m excited to go back and do a fresh play through. I wasn’t as harsh on it at launch as a lot of people but had some complaints so I’m sure I’ll really like the update. Might be awhile for me though I’m still in Act 1 of BG3.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
You can't really compare the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. One game is capable of running on something like the Nintendo Switch which it was not designed for and the other could not run on the PS4 which it was actually announced on years before release.

Launching a game you know is broken on certain consoles while allowing people to massively preorder those versions, is a travesty no matter how you slice it. Corporate greed got the best of them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, they got greedy. They tried to (and did) make a game that would be the poster child for next-gen graphics, but, at the same time, also targeted last-gen consoles. They tried to have their cake and eat it, too.

In fairness, though, it was bad timing, as it came out just as the next-gen consoles became available. Not too many people had them yet and a whole lot of people had the old-gen consoles. I imagine that other studios might've made the same mistake. If Starfield had come out 3 years ago, Bethesda might've released it for last-gen consoles, too, to potentially bad results. They had it a lot easier releasing it now, in the middle of a generation, and not needing to worry about supporting multiple generations to guarantee its financial success.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, they got greedy. They tried to (and did) make a game that would be the poster child for next-gen graphics, but, at the same time, also targeted last-gen consoles. They tried to have their cake and eat it, too.

In fairness, though, it was bad timing, as it came out just as the next-gen consoles became available. Not too many people had them yet and a whole lot of people had the old-gen consoles. I imagine that other studios might've made the same mistake. If Starfield had come out 3 years ago, Bethesda might've released it for last-gen consoles, too, to potentially bad results. They had it a lot easier releasing it now, in the middle of a generation, and not needing to worry about supporting multiple generations to guarantee its financial success.
There are enough testimonies from inside the company that it was upper management that rushed the game out. The bad timing was entirely their fault as the people actually working on the game knew very well that it was an unfinished product that still needed more time. They could have pushed it back and released it a few years later.

It happened because like you said, they tried to have their cake and eat it too. They know that the PS4 has a big install base and they could not look away from the potential sales.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There are enough testimonies from inside the company that it was upper management that rushed the game out. The bad timing was entirely their fault as the people actually working on the game knew very well that it was an unfinished product that still needed more time. They could have pushed it back and released it a few years later.

It happened because like you said, they tried to have their cake and eat it too. They know that the PS4 has a big install base and they could not look away from the potential sales.
Part of that that I remember is that they were eligible for a Polish tax credit if they released it before the end of 2020. It makes me wonder, though, why they didn't just release the PC and next-gen console versions when they did and delayed the last-gen versions until 2021. They probably would've still qualified for the tax credit and could've given the last-gen console versions the extra work that they needed. Maybe they didn't want to go back on promises to their investors and risk upsetting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Part of that that I remember is that they were eligible for a Polish tax credit if they released it before the end of 2020. It makes me wonder, though, why they didn't just release the PC and next-gen versions when they did and delayed the last-gen versions until 2021. They probably would've still qualified for the tax credit and could've given the last-gen versions the extra work that they required. Maybe it came down to investors who would've been upset if they delayed the versions for the more numerous last-gen consoles.
You bring good points but the Witcher 3 was also rushed out. People who worked on the game said that it was a miracle that it turned out as good as it did. Upper management believed that Cyberpunk 2077 would turn out fine too even if rushed out since it luckily worked out on the previous project. There was a lot of hubris and disconnect in the company.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Played around two hours of this tonight from the start. Wish this was the game that was released. Everything about it is better. It's just way more polished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad