Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just find it funny that when a console game that is graphically impressive comes out, like Horizon Forbidden West, everyone praises it, nobody has a problem. But when a free update showcasing the future of gaming technology comes out only on PC, PC gamers are graphics snobs trying to justify their purchase by playing it. :laugh:
When a new console comes out, people eagerly buy it, even though the games don't look much better. It's with the understanding that, eventually, there'll be games that take advantage of it and justify the purchase. Since AAA games can take 5 years to develop, that can mean waiting years for true next-gen games. In the meantime, what they mostly get are next-gen updates for existing games to satisfy and validate them. So, it isn't just PC gamers. All gamers want the latest hardware and then wait for games to really take advantage of it.

The difference is just that PC gamers have the option to not wait as long, because they can pay to upgrade their systems in the middle of console generations and take advantage of new technologies or higher resolutions and framerates earlier. For them, it's a hobby, like how some people enjoy modifying and servicing their cars, themselves, as much as they do driving them, whereas other people don't really spend time on their cars outside of driving. It may seem "snobbish" to want the best, but it's not really different from any other hobby in which people spend on the latest stuff that they don't need.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When a new console comes out, people eagerly buy it, even though the games don't look much better. It's with the understanding that, eventually, there'll be games that take advantage of it and justify the purchase. Since AAA games can take 5 years to develop, that can mean waiting years for true next-gen games. In the meantime, what they mostly get are next-gen updates for existing games to satisfy and validate them. So, it isn't just PC gamers. All gamers want the latest hardware and then wait for games to really take advantage of it.

The difference is just that PC gamers have the option to not wait as long, because they can pay to upgrade their systems in the middle of console generations and take advantage of new technologies or higher resolutions and framerates earlier. For them, it's a hobby, like how some people enjoy modifying and servicing their cars, themselves, as much as they do driving them, whereas other people don't really spend time on their cars unless they're driving. I guess that my point is to think of PC gamers as hobbyists who want the best, rather than "snobs."
While it is mostly tongue in cheek outside some toxic fanboys, the PC Master Race attitude doesn't really help. I've been on consoles most of my life and am on PC now while also having a PS5 and Switch Oled. Prior to the last 6 months, I hadn't really gamed on PC in like 20 years when I had a Dell pre-built with I think a Voodoo card in like 2002. All 3 provide great things. I love the portability/ease of playing and Nintendo's first party output, I love having a 4K Blu-Ray player and Sony's big AAA exclusives at launch, and I love the outright performance of my PC, the steam sales and the process of building and configuring it, plus the future ability to tinker with it (although I can tell this hobby is gonna hurt my wallet lol). I do hate all the fanboyism with consoles, or people who go to war over Nvidia/AMD or Intel/AMD. All Switch, PS5, and PC's (and the Series consoles and Steam Deck) have their respective places in the market, and as consumers, we should want choice.

I do think the car comparison is apt, and I do find that overall the PC community among the major youtube channels (Linus, Gamer's Nexus, JayzTwoCents), tends to be much more supportive and encouraging to people trying to get into the hobby, and significantly less toxic than consoles.

While I do think that Cyberpunk tech demo is cool, similar to how people loved the Matrix tech demo for Unreal 5, it def doesn't seem like it would be playable until atleast the high-end of the 5000 Nvidia series GPUs natively, if that.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I've been playing this again while waiting for FFXVI. I played it on release on a base PS4 so it ran abysmally but I still enjoyed myself enough. Didn't fully finish the game because I expected to play it again on better hardware.

Now that I'm playing again on my PS5, I've been really impressed. This is an amazing game overall. I've ignored all the random events stuff like assaults/robberies and just focused on the main/side missions, it's been tough to put down. The variety of weapons and cyberware keep things really fresh, I love games where you can tackle missions in so many different ways. The haptic feedback on the PS5 controller is the best I've experienced on the system (haven't played Gran Turismo yet though). 60fps feels so smooth in combat. Graphics are outstanding and the open world is pretty well designed. 9/10.

My only two gripes are the same ones I had years ago. For me the best cyberpunk-esque stuff like Blade Runner and Deus Ex conjure up compelling philosophical questions from their worlds that can relate to our world and Cyberpunk doesn't have anything interesting to say. And there's just something about the NPC's that lacks the heart that they had in the Witcher 3. The world of the Witcher 3 felt so alive in a way this one doesn't and I have a tough time explaining why.

Still though it's too bad they originally released the game in such a shoddy state on consoles, it will always wear that badge of shame and be associated with some degree of failure despite being a hell of a good time.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've been playing this again while waiting for FFXVI. I played it on release on a base PS4 so it ran abysmally but I still enjoyed myself enough. Didn't fully finish the game because I expected to play it again on better hardware.

Now that I'm playing again on my PS5, I've been really impressed. This is an amazing game overall. I've ignored all the random events stuff like assaults/robberies and just focused on the main/side missions, it's been tough to put down. The variety of weapons and cyberware keep things really fresh, I love games where you can tackle missions in so many different ways. The haptic feedback on the PS5 controller is the best I've experienced on the system (haven't played Gran Turismo yet though). 60fps feels so smooth in combat. Graphics are outstanding and the open world is pretty well designed. 9/10.

My only two gripes are the same ones I had years ago. For me the best cyberpunk-esque stuff like Blade Runner and Deus Ex conjure up compelling philosophical questions from their worlds that can relate to our world and Cyberpunk doesn't have anything interesting to say. And there's just something about the NPC's that lacks the heart that they had in the Witcher 3. The world of the Witcher 3 felt so alive in a way this one doesn't and I have a tough time explaining why.

Still though it's too bad they originally released the game in such a shoddy state on consoles, it will always wear that badge of shame and be associated with some degree of failure despite being a hell of a good time.

Same here. I picked it up after watching the DLC trailer and it just sucked me in. I've been doing some side quests but mostly the story. Sure there's still some bugs but not as bad as it was before.

The game is absolutely stunning on PS5.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Same here. I picked it up after watching the DLC trailer and it just sucked me in. I've been doing some side quests but mostly the story. Sure there's still some bugs but not as bad as it was before.

The game is absolutely stunning on PS5.

How is the stability on the PS5? I played it originally on a PS4 Pro and it crashed quite a bit on me, at least a dozen times.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

I'm very interested in seeing how they overhauled the skills. I can't wait to play this expansion (and the base game over again with the update) but I almost want to wait until I can play it with RT Overdrive enabled.

Reactions: Jussi

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Well I'm "only" 20 hours into this playthrough and I was going to stop for FFXVI anyways, guess I'll be starting over to play it with all these additions then

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They should've axed the PS4/Xbone versions and delayed the game a year, but I think I read the Polish government helped CD finance it and they wanted it released by the end of 2020 no matter what.
It seems they did, 7 million. CD Projekt RED Gets $7 Million from Polish Government To Research Seamless Multiplayer, City Creation

Then they were investigated by the same government lol. Polish regulator investigates CD Projekt over Cyberpunk 2077's troubled launch

Surprised that our government actually invested in the game, that's not entirely normal I don't think lol.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
September is sure looking like a fun month for new games!

I don’t know if I’ll get to this DLC right away. It’ll depend on how deep I am into StarField.
But this is most likely next on my list.

I ended up really enjoying CyberPunk 2077. I tried to play it shortly after release and only got maybe an hour or two into the game before I quit. Then I gave it another try after that big update. I’m glad I did because I got hooked and ended up putting a bunch of hours into the game. I am really looking forward to revisiting this game/world.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
September is sure looking like a fun month for new games!

I don’t know if I’ll get to this DLC right away. It’ll depend on how deep I am into StarField.
But this is most likely next on my list.

I ended up really enjoying CyberPunk 2077. I tried to play it shortly after release and only got maybe an hour or two into the game before I quit. Then I gave it another try after that big update. I’m glad I did because I got hooked and ended up putting a bunch of hours into the game. I am really looking forward to revisiting this game/world.

I'm doing the same thing right now. This is just a spectacular and beautiful game

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I'm doing the same thing right now. This is just a spectacular and beautiful game
It’s a fun game. Enjoy! I think I ended up doing every side quest in the game, just to stretch my play time longer.

If they had released this current version on day 1 this game would have been thought of MUCH differently. I’m glad I gave it a second chance.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I know Starfield is going to be the new hotness, but I will probably wait on it as I have an ungodly amount of other games to play. And while I have this game, I'm waiting for the massive update that the DLC will bring with it to the game as a whole and play it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad