Confirmed with Link: Crawford as an Assistant/Associate Coach

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-west/marc-crawford-on-learning-auston-matthews-and-analytics/

It was an interview from about a year ago.

I am thrilled about this. Really happy that it's out there that they've chosen coaches who put emphasis on things that matter in todays NHL. We see more and more teams take that route and it's obviously for a reason.

Also, an interesting tidbit I hadn't realized about Crawford in that article: he's a Belleville native. Gives the AHL liaison job a bit more context if the B-Sens do end up moving to Belleville.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gretzky played in an era prior to the shootout. He was 1/4 in the regular season and 1/1 in playoffs for penalty shots in his entire career.

To small a sample to really give any indication, but % wise, that probably qualifies as not great.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Gretzky played in an era prior to the shootout. He was 1/4 in the regular season and 1/1 in playoffs for penalty shots in his entire career.
Yep,even on breakaways ,it just seemed like it wasnt natural to him for whatever reason .He was a hockey genius on the ice though

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Goalies are far better today than the were back then though. Sv% have gone from sub 900 to around 915 since his playing days.

Regardless, it's not a skill he practiced, nor any other player practiced at that time, unlike today. It was and remains a bizarre decision.

I mean, he's Wayne ****ing Gretzky

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
To small a sample to really give any indication, but % wise, that probably qualifies as not great.

1 lucky bounce and he would have been 60%. There are small sample sizes and then there are small sample sizes.

At the time I do remember people knocking Gretzky on breakaways and things like that, but no one really counted such things so I have no idea what his rate would be.

In any event, Crawford rolled the dice and lost. I think he learned a lot from those types of experiences in the NHL, and I suspect he will come back a much wiser coach for them.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I just hope the Crawford/Boucher situation doesn't become a Cameron/Maclean situation where Crawford undermines Boucher in some fashion.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
dunno if it was posted earlier but apparently crawford has embraced analytics, so i guess thats good news

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
From what I'm hearing, this is Boucher's choice. Having Crawford on board was part of his 5 hour presentation to the Sens.

Sounds like Boucher is going to go hard on the whole "try things they do in European leagues where the neutral zone gets clogged up", makes sense to bring in someone who was also immersed in it.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Regardless, it's not a skill he practiced, nor any other player practiced at that time, unlike today. It was and remains a bizarre decision.

I mean, he's Wayne ****ing Gretzky

Gretzky was never a breakaway guy. Does anyone remember the 5 shooters we used? I remember Shanahan went last, and Bourque was in there, which Crawford was criticised for.

I honestly don't think anyone was going to beat Hasek. He was unreal.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Boudreau > Boucher

Boucher/Crawford > Boudreau

I'm not sure how you can sincerely be saying that.

First, it's possible that Crawford would've taken an assistant position with Boudreau if that's what he desired and otherwise I'm confident that Boudreau would've chosen a very good assistant. Boudreau would not have been alone behind the bench ... I mean the guy would've had assistants too so it's not as simple as saying Boucher/Crawford > Boudreau.

I really don't see how you can compare two coaches, especially two coaches that we haven't seen in the NHL for years and we have no idea what type of system they will implement and how they will do it and how good they will be with the players to Boudreau alone. We have no idea what will be the role of Crawford at this point either.

Evaluating a coach is so complex, that I really can't take a comment like that seriously. Unless you can give me a detailed rundown of the 3 and then explain to me how they would concretely impact the team, but that's very unlikely since we have no idea how Boucher will even coach and he said it himself that he constantly changes coaching style to adapt and the same can be said with Boudreau who coached totally different styles in Washington and Anaheim and will certainly coach very differently with Minnesota.

This is the type of thing where you really cannot know unless you'd give both a shot and then look at the end result and compare.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have no dog in the fight but I find it strangely ironic that the first thing Boucher did when he came to the Lightning was hired an almost entirely Francophone staff. Looks like he's set on doing it again.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I have no dog in the fight but I find it strangely ironic that the first thing Boucher did when he came to the Lightning was hired an almost entirely Francophone staff. Looks like he's set on doing it again.

Marc Crawford speaks French? I'm almost certain he speaks little to no French.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Think they're going to 2-man it since Boucher said he'd handle the power play.

I think they will add one more guy. I don't think I've ever seen just two coaches behind the bench. I would imagine another assistant will be named soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad